Quote Originally Posted by Cynical Asshole View Post
    Romania ain't got shit to give away. I would know that.
    Don't project your personal traumas and opinions onto geopolitics.

The Prig says the Wankers suffered 20,000 dead taking Bakhmut, 10K convicts and 10k mercenaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Millennial View Post
    Which is why I was explaining earlier to Johnnysensible that an actual logical argument can be made for the strategic value of targeting Russian cities and civilian infrastructure (and maybe even the population itself) from a Ukrainian perspective, that "Taking the war to Russia" might accelerate the process of this war weariness kicking-in in Russia.
    No. Bombing civilians only hardens a peoples resolve. It would absolutely not accelerate the process of war weariness. Your Hamas example for instance : does Israel have war weariness? no. Did the firebombings in ww2 cause it? no. Did the blitz cause it? no.

Again the only reason to target civ infrastructure is to deplete air defense so you can use air assets in the future, everything else is nihilistic and pointless.

Will the West support the Kremlin should these seemingly unaffiliated partisans make incursions into Russia like they vow to?

Anti-Putin paramilitary group says there will be more incursions into Russia

The leader of the Russian Volunteer Corps says the group's plans include more incursions into Russia, adding: "You should be just a little bit patient and wait a couple of days."

A group claiming to be behind a recent strike in the Russian border region of Belgorod have said they will launch more incursions in future.

Denis Kapustin (also known as Denis Nikitin), the commander of the Russian Volunteer Corps, was speaking on the Ukrainian side of the border with Russia a day after his group claimed to have been behind an armed raid on the Belgorod area.

He said: "I think you will see us again on that side.

"I cannot reveal those upcoming things, I cannot even reveal the direction.

"The... border is pretty long, yet again there will be a spot where things will get hot."

He said his anti-Putin fighters had held "around 42 square kilometres" of Russian territory "for quite a while", adding: "We're fighting for freedom, we're fighting against injustice, so we're fighting against torture, we're fighting against terrible acts of police brutality."

Russia initially blamed Ukraine for the incursion, and alleged that 70 of the attackers were killed or pushed back.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    No. Bombing civilians only hardens a peoples resolve. It would absolutely not accelerate the process of war weariness. Your Hamas example for instance : does Israel have war weariness? no. Did the firebombings in ww2 cause it? no. Did the blitz cause it? no.

Again the only reason to target civ infrastructure is to deplete air defense so you can use air assets in the future, everything else is nihilistic and pointless.
    Yet, Hamas keeps firing rockets and the allies spent an unholy amount of effort on "strategic bombing" of the civilian population.

What you think someone's strategic objectives are or what makes strategic sense for them, is not the same as what they think.

You keep missing the point.

"War is politics by other means". There's no universal truth or sense to politics. What makes sense to you, might not make sense to someone else. You are projecting your value and political priority system onto others and call theirs "pointless", ignoring how it COULD make sense to them.

It's basically another version of "They hate us because they hate us" type of blindness.

Not to mention, the US and Russia has a long history of successfully exploiting internal political strife in third party countries to destabilize unfriendly regimes. What we are seeing right now, is the Ukrainians doing the same. And sometimes both Russia and the US have successfully slipped in a couple of bombings and whatnot to accelerate the process. The Ukrainians could point at those past incidents to logically justify their own actions.

This is a way too complicated topic I'm not in the mood of getting into, I'm hoping to get you to understand that "strategic sense" is a mutable thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    Will the West support the Kremlin should these seemingly unaffiliated partisans make incursions into Russia like they vow to?
    No./10char
    Last edited by Elder Millennial; 2023-05-25 at 01:23 AM.

snip
    yea you can just admit you are wrong and talking nonsense. Ukraine is not bombing Russian civilians because it doesn't make any strategic sense for them that's it, not complicated at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    yea you can just admit you are wrong and talking nonsense. Ukraine is not bombing Russian civilians because it doesn't make any strategic sense for them that's it, not complicated at all.
    Jesus fucking Christ dude. Read this exchange again from the beginning.

I started with explaining why it doesn't make sense for them to do so now, and that they are in fact acting with restraint, but those things are contingent on the current circumstances of the conflict, which could change. You also keep saying xyz doesn't make sense and I keep pointing out that people in the real world keep disagreeing with you.

You either have the memory of a goldfish, or you have reading comprehension problems.

Jesus fucking Christ dude. Read this exchange again from the beginning.

I started with explaining why it doesn't make sense for them to do so now, and that they are in fact acting with restraint, but those things are contingent on the current circumstances of the conflict, which could change. You also keep saying xyz doesn't make sense and I keep pointing out that people in the real world keep disagreeing with you.

You either have the memory of a goldfish, or you have reading comprehension problems.
    yuppie : both sides are holding back
    me : no they are not
    you : hmmm let me pontificate on targeting civilians as a logic game that has no substance in the reality of the situation, here are some dumb examples and some phrases i'm really smart you see
    me : no

yea i got the gist of it

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Short answer? Lmao, no.

Long answer: No, but if this new partisan group somehow manages to roll into the Kremlin - we meme about their army but the partisans are still hilariously outnumbered and outgunned in the long run - and catches Putin before he can scuttle into a bunker somewhere, the west will probably only get involved if the new 'ruling' party wants to swing their new nuclear dick around.

Otherwise I think the west would be fine with letting them burn out in a Civil war while focusing on getting Ukraine back up and running.

"Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

It's shocking because if this is true, that means Putin is not being shielded by Western officials to make sure the conflict doesn't escalate past their liking.

Prigozhin is whatever though, fair game. But Putin is a surprise.

It's shocking because if this is true, that means Putin is not being shielded by Western officials to make sure the conflict doesn't escalate past their liking.
    Why would they? The west isn't the boss of Ukraine, maybe go and have a drink and try to relax to help unclutch those pearls!
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Wealth inequality is here to stay, sometimes it's just how lifes cookie crumbles and all of society is better off for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    But from what I can see it is quite probable Æthelstan was the first Brexiteer, likely the Farage of his age seeing off the European continentals in the very first successful Brexit.

1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    Short answer? Lmao, no.

Long answer: No, but if this new partisan group somehow manages to roll into the Kremlin - we meme about their army but the partisans are still hilariously outnumbered and outgunned in the long run - and catches Putin before he can scuttle into a bunker somewhere, the west will probably only get involved if the new 'ruling' party wants to swing their new nuclear dick around.

Otherwise I think the west would be fine with letting them burn out in a Civil war while focusing on getting Ukraine back up and running.
    Their purpose is to start the fire. The idea is that once people see that God bleeds, more and more will rise up and then it will become a massive movement that even the regular army joins, and then it's over for Putin.

Of course no one expects a couple hundred revolutionaries to march into Kremlin.

- - - Updated - - -

In the latest stage of gaffes, Putin attempted to show on an old map that Ukraine didn't exist as a state in the past and it's just a construct of the USSR, only to have people pointing out that it does say "Ukraine" on that map. Guessing someone later on fell from a window for suggesting this stunt to glorious leader.

https://twitter.com/PaulaChertok/sta...a_2928580.html

Prigozhin is whatever though, fair game. But Putin is a surprise.
    Putin is literally on ANYONE'S LIST but Trump's. That's about it. And that is only because Trump owes him so much money.

Man, I wish Shillcker would be here with us to witness Russia getting to taste their own Little Green Men-medicine.

1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Man, I wish Shillcker would be here with us to witness Russia getting to taste their own Little Green Men-medicine.
    He was probably conscripted to fight in Ukraine.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynical Asshole View Post
    He was probably conscripted to fight in Ukraine.
    He is still active on Twitter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wankers starting withdrawal from Bakhmut.

Colour me surprised they are actually following through with the withdrawal.

Bakhmut retaking in 1...2...3?

Quote Originally Posted by Iphie View Post
    Wankers starting withdrawal from Bakhmut.

Colour me surprised they are actually following through with the withdrawal.

Bakhmut retaking in 1...2...3?
    Theoretically they are handing the city over to the MoD and prepare for redeployment.

We'll see what comes of that.