Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Are you calling Edge a racist skinhead? If not, fuck off with this disingenuous bullshit.

In this case, it looks like it's not just the cops that are bastards, but the DA who refused to do anything about the killing in the first place, too.
    Why would I be calling Edge a skinhead? He is very clearly not from his posting history. I am giving my opinion that I find the ACAB saying stupid, as well as pointing out it has a troubled history. I also prefer slogans that don't suck, when you say "all cops are bastards", it is disingenuous because it is clearly not true with a 1 second google search of officers risking their life to stopping mass shooters and getting shot in the process like the case in New Mexico on May 15 with officer Discenza getting shot, that officer is clearly not a bastard.

I have argued in this very thread before that you lose people with shitty slogans, as such like defund the police, while if you look into it I think most people would agree with most things people want, it comes off as shitty as previous use of defund has meant completely stripping all funding aka "defund planned parenthood". I think good slogans can take your cause much further such as "reform the police" which I agree with and I have stated as such before. At the end of the day it is just my opinion and my thoughts on how to better get people behind your cause instead of alienate them. We have clearly seen in this thread that it is extremely hard to actually convict an officer. That it seems to only happen when they have gone so far over the line that the hardliners even go ok, yeah that was wrong.

I would like to try and get more people to see the wrongs that officers commit and get them into the space of talking about how it needs to be fixed, but with these people they will instantly tune you out if you come at them with shitty slogans, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Deus Mortis View Post
    Still a dumb as fuck saying with history that has landed it as a hate symbol. There are plenty of awful cops that deserve prison, like the ones in the article, but once you start saying "all", that is when you have entered the realm of being disingenuous.
    https://www.adl.org/resources/hate-symbol/acab
    The Cops that aren't bastards don't last long as cops.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Still a dumb as fuck saying with history that has landed it as a hate symbol. There are plenty of awful cops that deserve prison, like the ones in the article, but once you start saying "all", that is when you have entered the realm of being disingenuous.
    https://www.adl.org/resources/hate-symbol/acab
    To Repeat.

Any supposed "good cops" that don't do everything in their freaking power to get the "bad cops" in jail?
    Are bad cops.

Good cops don't last in US police forces (or honestly, most other forces. Sweden also has issues of cops protecting cops if less than the US).
    The "Good Cops" quit being cops.

- - - Updated - - -

Why would I be calling Edge a skinhead? He is very clearly not from his posting history. I am giving my opinion that I find the ACAB saying stupid, as well as pointing out it has a troubled history. I also prefer slogans that don't suck, when you say "all cops are bastards", it is disingenuous because it is clearly not true with a 1 second google search of officers risking their life to stopping mass shooters and getting shot in the process like the case in New Mexico on May 15 with officer Discenza getting shot, that officer is clearly not a bastard.

I have argued in this very thread before that you lose people with shitty slogans, as such like defund the police, while if you look into it I think most people would agree with most things people want, it comes off as shitty as previous use of defund has meant completely stripping all funding aka "defund planned parenthood". I think good slogans can take your cause much further such as "reform the police" which I agree with and I have stated as such before. At the end of the day it is just my opinion and my thoughts on how to better get people behind your cause instead of alienate them. We have clearly seen in this thread that it is extremely hard to actually convict an officer. That it seems to only happen when they have gone so far over the line that the hardliners even go ok, yeah that was wrong.

I would like to try and get more people to see the wrongs that officers commit and get them into the space of talking about how it needs to be fixed, but with these people they will instantly tune you out if you come at them with shitty slogans, etc.
    The officer you mention here was brave and did a good act.
    But as long as he didn't report any and all police corruption that he knew about? Not a good cop.
    - Lars

acab includes forum cops

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    That is also a major problem and it irks me to no end. It is nice to see more officers these days exposing when they get railroaded for exposing corruption, and I hope more and more people take a stand.

I actually had a question on my final earlier today that goes towards this topic that asked what would you do if you and your partner were jail guards and your partner called an inmate "boy" repeatedly, and the inmate came over and shoved your fellow officer. What would you tell your shift commander? What would you tell the other officer? Would you talk to the other inmate why or why not. Cliff notes version of my answer was tell the shift commander exactly what happened, tell the other officer that I told the shift commander everything that happened, and I would go talk to the inmate and apologize for the other officers actions, and that I told the shift commander everything that happened.

Fuck lying and covering up, it helps no one and it is a complete insult to what officers are sworn to be and do. I would also like to see more officers build repour with inmates/citizens(this can be harder in big cities) on the streets, I think it can do a lot of good and can have a lot of good results. If people know you're a good officer they will most likely be more willing to give you information. It can help start slowly repairing the damage that has been done, and to slowly start to rebuild trust, etc. Slowly I see us heading in the right direction, with more and more bad officers actually getting fired, and actually getting jail sentences. I hope it continues to build even though it is far slower than I would like it to be.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    acab includes forum cops
    What is a forum cop? Would it be moderators? Posters like myself that think certain slogans would be more useful?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    To Repeat.

Any supposed "good cops" that don't do everything in their freaking power to get the "bad cops" in jail?
    Are bad cops.

Good cops don't last in US police forces (or honestly, most other forces. Sweden also has issues of cops protecting cops if less than the US).
    The "Good Cops" quit being cops.
    I think this is a problem we see in most spaces, where coworkers will overlook when someone does something wrong, and does not report what happened because they don't want their coworker to get into trouble. The problem is when an officer does it, it usually is at the cost of violating someone's rights so it is far more egregious than Tom accidently broke the printer. I also fully agree, that if an officer sees another officer violating someone's rights and does nothing, than they are also a bad cop.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

I think this is a problem we see in most spaces, where coworkers will overlook when someone does something wrong, and does not report what happened because they don't want their coworker to get into trouble. The problem is when an officer does it, it usually is at the cost of violating someone's rights so it is far more egregious than Tom accidently broke the printer. I also fully agree, that if an officer sees another officer violating someone's rights and does nothing, than they are also a bad cop.
    Then you agree that at least 95% of USA police officers are bad cops it seems!
    The other, at most, 5% often quit before 5 years.
    - Lars

Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    Then you agree that at least 95% of USA police officers are bad cops it seems!
    The other, at most, 5% often quit before 5 years.
    Any research papers on these numbers you can link? I would like to read them if you have them. Currently reading through some articles to try and get the info such as:
    https://archive.ph/uS3yR (Washington Post article that was paywalled)
    and currently making my way through this
    https://www.ojp.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/249850.pdf

https://www.dailydot.com/debug/flori...onus-desantis/

So nowadays it seems like the best place to be an abusive cop is Florida. In that they appear to be fairly actively recruiting cops who are fired from other departments and have histories of violence and settlements.

FL taxpayers are gonna love that their state is increasingly filled with abusive cops whose salaries they'll pay, and who they'll pay all the more for when the cops inevitably get sued again and have to reach expensive taxpayer funded settlements with the victims.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    Yup. My uncle was one of them. Retired as soon as he could.

10+ Year Old Account
    And yet another murder.

https://www.rawstory.com/dexter-barry-jacksonville

A heart transplant recipient died after Florida jailers refused to let him take medication that kept his body from rejecting the organ two days after he was arrested over a dispute with his neighbor over wireless internet, according to a report.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Yeah, there's no reason to consider that anything but torture and first degree murder. Every single officer in that chain of command should be charged with something.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Yeah, there's no reason to consider that anything but torture and first degree murder. Every single officer in that chain of command should be charged with something.
    another dead man another massive payout from the tax payer to his family because cops are fucking idiots. Even the most cynical tory should be concerned if not by the actions of state agents then of tax waste on payouts.

Yo that's fuckin murder.

Also...

https://www.fox13memphis.com/news/11...6f2573425.html

Y'all hear about the 11 year old who did the right thing and called the cops on his abusive dad beating his mom?

The kid got shot by the responding officer. The kid was following the officers orders.

The husband was not charged and was released from custody because the wife didn't file a police report in the days afterwards. Because she was in the hospital with her 11 year old son. Whom nobody from the department has seemed interested in speaking with or issuing an apology or anything.

Another kid that's probably never going to look at cops the same.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.click2houston.com/news/l...s-parking-lot/

“You have forced my hand at this point.” Officer Harrell said on the video, “because if I don’t go and see this through to its conclusion, I know you’re going to go to the police department and file a complaint on me.”
    In which an officer proceeds to write a ticket for something that isn't a crime and detain someone who hadn't violated the law because if they didn't the person might file a complaint against them for harassing them over legal behavior. From the victim -

Shull, who said he is pro-police, called the stop unjustified and a violation of his rights.

“They need to go back and look at this guy’s body cam footage from six months, a year. It wouldn’t surprise me that he’s been operating this way for a very long time,” Shull said. “I can only imagine how this guy treats people when he really has something on them.”

“You hear all this defund the police and everything, guys like him, this is this is why that happens right there,” Shull said.
    Eyup. I hope he does take his ticket to court and gets it tossed, and that he gets a nice settlement from the department. Eventually taxpayers are gonna get tired of paying settlements for abusive cops and start demanding that police departments actually discipline and remove these officers. I still think it should come out of their paychecks rather than departmental budgets but whatever.

- - - Updated - - -

https://dentonrc.com/education/flowe...2631e71db.html

What was supposed to be a normal career day event at Wellington Elementary School turned into controversy as the Flower Mound Police Department showcased a tear gas launcher to students.

In a deleted Facebook post, Flower Mound’s Wellington Elementary, part of the Lewisville Independent School District, posted an image of a student holding a tear gas launcher at the event.

The Denton Record-Chronicle contacted the Lewisville ISD to confirm details about the showcase.

Amanda Brim, chief communications officer for the district, responded by giving Wellington Principal Tami Braun’s statement.

“I do want to take a minute to address a concern shared by a handful of people regarding our law enforcement partners from Flower Mound Police Department bringing equipment such as helmets, bulletproof vests, battering rams that bust down doors, and a tear gas launcher, among other items,” Braum said via email. “I want to assure you no weapons were part of what was displayed to students.”

A tear gas launcher is considered a weapon under the National Firearms Act, according to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

The Denton Record-Chronicle reached out before the statement was made and asked whether the weapon violated the 2022-23 student code of conduct that states that students shall not possess or use a “look-alike” weapon intended to be used as a weapon or could reasonably be perceived as a weapon with no response.

The department does have a partnership with the school district, but no response was provided on whether the district approved having the tear gas launcher present for the event.

“The Flower Mound Police Department has indicated they plan to change their approach and not bring that type of equipment to schools in the future,” Braum said in the statement. “I value our partnership and collaborative communication and decision-making for the benefit of our students.”

Sgt. Jason Rachal of the Flower Mound Police Department confirmed via email the equipment they showcase to the students. This included vehicles, drones, armor, a robot, breaching tools and the tear gas launcher that was photographed.
    Ah yes, start the copaganda while they're young!

Now Flower Mound seems to be on the outskirts of Fort Worth/Dallas so I guess it makes sense they'd have access to some heavier gear and all, but for an incorporated town with a population of around 77,000 people it sure makes you wonder why they need some of this stuff.

Jesus titty-fuckin' Christ

And the worst thing is, if they're charged at all, it'll be some bullshit like involuntary manslaughter or the like when it should be first degree murder.

EDIT: before anyone jumps all over me about this...here's the legal defintion of Capital Murder(Texas equivalent of Murder 1)

https://www.findlaw.com/state/texas-...rder-laws.html

Texas does not officially use the term "first degree murder" which can sometimes be a little bit confusing. Instead, the equivalent in Texas is known as "capital murder," which is murder for which a perpetrator can get a sentence of capital punishment. To convict a defendant of capital murder, prosecutors must be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that:
    The defendant intentionally and knowingly caused the death of another person;

The defendant intended to cause serious bodily injury and committed an act that was clearly dangerous to human life and this act caused the death of an individual; or

The defendant committed or attempted to commit a felony (other than manslaughter) and in performing that felony, committed an act that was clearly dangerous to human life and this act caused the death of an individual.
    Denying someone the medicine they require to stay alive is definitively "clearly dangerous to human life"
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2023-05-25 at 08:54 PM.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Also...

Y'all hear about the 11 year old who did the right thing and called the cops on his abusive dad beating his mom?

The kid got shot by the responding officer. The kid was following the officers orders.

The husband was not charged and was released from custody because the wife didn't file a police report in the days afterwards. Because she was in the hospital with her 11 year old son. Whom nobody from the department has seemed interested in speaking with or issuing an apology or anything.

Big brave cops defended themselves from a ruthless kid who didn't follow orders fast enough (although if he did exit the house at a quicker pace, I bet the officers would have thought the kid was charging at them).

(oh, and /s in case anyone thought I was seriously defending the cops there)

Cops like those only prove the ACAB saying true. Jesus Christ, glad the kid is still alive. I would hope the mom sues the PD for their conduct, but even if she did and win, the abusive husband would probably steal the payout and spend it on himself. /sigh

Apparently some moron thought that they got new evidence in the George Floyd case on Tiktok. There have been a wave of new posts of videos of the Hennepin county coroner's report. You know, the one that was released in 2020 that EVERYONE IN THE WORLD that was following the case knew about? Claiming that the fentanyl was what killed him. Even though in that very autopsy report, it specifically stated that it was the neck compression that killed him. Don't be surprised if morons try to bring it up again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Apparently some moron thought that they got new evidence in the George Floyd case on Tiktok. There have been a wave of new posts of videos of the Hennepin county coroner's report. You know, the one that was released in 2020 that EVERYONE IN THE WORLD that was following the case knew about? Claiming that the fentanyl was what killed him. Even though in that very autopsy report, it specifically stated that it was the neck compression that killed him. Don't be surprised if morons try to bring it up again.
    TikTok has opened up the flood gates on right-wing conspiracy nonsense. I can't tell you the number of idiots on social media who are posting deep fakes, edited videos, or out of context Tik-Toks trying to claim everything from the George Floyd stuff you posted or that Joe Biden is pushing for a New World Order. I wish it was just stupidity but the people who post them, and those who believe them are extremely dangerous.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    TikTok has opened up the flood gates on right-wing conspiracy nonsense. I can't tell you the number of idiots on social media who are posting deep fakes, edited videos, or out of context Tik-Toks trying to claim everything from the George Floyd stuff you posted or that Joe Biden is pushing for a New World Order. I wish it was just stupidity but the people who post them, and those who believe them are extremely dangerous.
    It ain’t just tiktok bud.

It’s most of social media allowing misinformation to spread with no interest in nipping that bud. And I know you know this just wanted to hop on top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Also...

https://news.yahoo.com/mother-aderri...202842708.html

Mother is now suing the City, the Police Chief and the Officer "accused" of shooting 11 year old Aderrien Murphy.

Hope she gets a big pay out.

Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    https://news.yahoo.com/mother-aderri...202842708.html

Mother is now suing the City, the Police Chief and the Officer "accused" of shooting 11 year old Aderrien Murphy.

Hope she gets a big pay out.
    Gonna be a shame that local taxpayers will pay for it and the officer who shot the kid might just get let go so he can get a new job in Florida where, "Shooting an unarmed 11 year old kid" is actually an embellishment on your resume.

Really, these settlements need to start coming out of the department budget for payroll and benefits. You cost the city millions over a civil lawsuit because you shot an unarmed 11 year old kid who called the cops on his abusive father who wasn't even at the home? Cool, pay the victim, and the officer(s) involved will have their wages and benefits garnished until they city has been repaid in full.