Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    So, you're either lying, or don't know what shitposting is.

I know which I and pretty much everyone else on this forum believes.
    That it's actually a mix of both?

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    That it's actually a mix of both?
    Ooooh, well played. Probably a more accurate assertion, true.

Quote Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
    It's not about arguing against hand holding and never was, it's about priorities. Like my minion re-quoted posts from years ago and rightly so I stated that "Due to the ever changing nature of alpha it would be a waste of time and resources to make an in-depth ingame tutorial because it would be obsolete by the time it was ready."
    You sure were quick to cling to the "in-depth" part of one quote and hold onto it for dear life. Almost managed to mask how the other two quotes mentioned nothing of the sort. Almost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

10+ Year Old Account
    with the cancellation of pve mode of Overwatch 2 and all that was promised on blizzcon with it (https://youtu.be/Dw9bjukF0xo) i seriously have doubts Star Citizen will EVER get released in the state IT was promised.
    its clear that even easier things are impossible for some developers, not to mention all the stuff that has piled up on SC by Chris Roberts.
    Last edited by Proskill; 2023-05-24 at 10:09 AM.
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

Quote Originally Posted by Cynical Asshole View Post
    Guys, what will be released first between Star Citizen, Beyond Good and Evil 2, Hollow Knight: Silksong, and Half Life 3?

My money is on Half Life 3.
    Eh, I'll go with Silksong. HL3 is a troll meme anymore and BGaE2 will end up being like Duke Nukem: Forever.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    You sure were quick to cling to the "in-depth" part of one quote and hold onto it for dear life. Almost managed to mask how the other two quotes mentioned nothing of the sort. Almost.
    I mean, what is the use for a tutorial anyway. By the time the game will be released, we'll have holodecks and be flying through space anyway at warp speed so no need to pretend to fly through space.

I watched Lirik play yesterday, it was funny because every time he encountered something interesting the game crashed and he was back at the station.

But i wondered, what is even supposed to be the main gameplay loop of star citizen? Lirik said that he thinks the random generated missions are kind of boring and he rather flies around and tries to meet other people but that made me think... Is there more planned than grinding random generated missions and buy a new ship now and then?

Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    I watched Lirik play yesterday, it was funny because every time he encountered something interesting the game crashed and he was back at the station.

But i wondered, what is even supposed to be the main gameplay loop of star citizen? Lirik said that he thinks the random generated missions are kind of boring and he rather flies around and tries to meet other people but that made me think... Is there more planned than grinding random generated missions and buy a new ship now and then?
    Last I knew, SC was trying to evoke that old MMO ideal of being a "world" that you just live in.

This is the thing that puzzles me about people claiming "SC has more content than other space games!!!"

What's actually on offer? An empty sandbox with three or four different mission types in it, which you grind for money and rep. And mining. And... racing? I guess.

What's left? Emergent gameplay that you'll find in just about any multiplayer sandbox? Pretty things to screenshot and post on the subreddit?

I don't get it. I tried to get it. I spent more money than I should have trying to get it, but man... I feel like people need to raise their standards.

what is even supposed to be the main gameplay loop of star citizen
    As of right now, the only goal you can work towards is do missions, mining, or cargo hauling to make money to upgrade your armor and ship. Maybe buy different ships, but there isn't any reason to buy a ship bigger than a medium sized. With what the content and economy in the game right now, there is no need to have a large sized ship or above, they're just fuel guzzlers. For example, you can buy a large cargo hauler but the tiny farms in the Stanton system don't produce enough goods to fill up your cargo hold, so you would have to tediously fly to multiple farms to fill up your space ship, and then you would again run into the issue where you can't sell all of your goods in place because the place doesn't have enough demand or money to buy your full cargo hold, and due to how slow cargo ships are, this process would take several hours and isn't engaging gameplay. The largest NPC ship you can fight are Hammerheads and Idrises, but you can blow them up with medium sized ships. Your account gets wiped every few months so people have stopped bothering with grinding missions.

The Pyro system was supposed to add more verticality to the grind. The distances between planets in Pyro is tremendous, to the point that small and medium sized ships would run out of fuel. The idea is that this will encourage people to get large ships that can carry smaller ships and refuelers rather than people just maxxing out their small ship or grinding for a medium sized ship and calling it quits. There was also property ownership that was listed as a feature, so perhaps if that was implemented then perhaps the endgame would be player guilds battling for territorial control like in EVE. I doubt any of this will be implemented, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    There was also property ownership that was listed as a feature, so perhaps if that was implemented then perhaps the endgame would be player guilds battling for territorial control like in EVE. I doubt any of this will be implemented, though.
    But isn't the game world instanced? How would that work in such an evironment? Do you own the property in all instances? Can you be attacked in all instances?

Quote Originally Posted by Henako View Post
    This is the thing that puzzles me about people claiming "SC has more content than other space games!!!"

What's actually on offer? An empty sandbox with three or four different mission types in it, which you grind for money and rep. And mining. And... racing? I guess.

What's left? Emergent gameplay that you'll find in just about any multiplayer sandbox? Pretty things to screenshot and post on the subreddit?

I don't get it. I tried to get it. I spent more money than I should have trying to get it, but man... I feel like people need to raise their standards.
    And for that pitiful content landscape you also have to assume that the game does not break as bad and as often as it breaks. The game engine, physics, collisions, performance, network, crashes and stability etc has been a sorry mess since day 1, and has not significantly improved. In fact it seems to be getting worst as time goes by, and especially with the recent PES implementation. The more CIG tries to add to the game the more broken it becomes. After 11+ years and more than half a billion spent this sad state of affairs is the game.

- - - Updated - - -

But isn't the game world instanced? How would that work in such an evironment? Do you own the property in all instances? Can you be attacked in all instances?
    Currently the "game world", if you can call it that, is replicated/instanced in each server, and each server has a population cap (~100 players, although anything beyond 20 people makes the server ticks slow down to a crawl and exponentially increase crash risks). SC servers are in essence glorified but very broken War Thunder servers. So, yes, there are as many instances of the "game world" as active servers. As for property ownership, the developer is still far from knowing how to handle all the persistence related dilemmas that that come with (i.e. will personal property be shown to other players if the owner is not logged in? In all instances? Can other players destroy that property either way? Or will it rather have its own separate instance/server or be untouchable by others? etc etc etc they still have no idea. I mean, CIG is excellent at selling grandiose dreams with absolutely zero regards for the details of how it can all actually work. And when, in certain cases, they have got around to think about how some specific features work it generally ends up in disaster. See recent debacle about ship waiting times etc.
    Last edited by Cloverfield; 2023-05-25 at 07:59 AM.

The plan was that there is supposed to be one universe, not multiple servers, but that is almost certainly not going to happen.

There is supposed to be a hundred star systems, and the moons and planets in the one star system we have right now right now are very, very big. If the other 100 had as many similarly sized planetoids then there would be more than enough surface area for each player to have a few dozen square miles of land. But, again, probably not going to happen.

The devs only just recently acknowledged that their magic server meshing tech they had been advertising for years is unlikely to save the game. They have not detailed how other features threy had promised would work in light of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    The devs only just recently acknowledged that their magic server meshing tech they had been advertising for years is unlikely to save the game. They have not detailed how other features threy had promised would work in light of this.
    What are you talking about, all CiG have said was no one bit of tech will solve everything its a combination of many things working together that will make server meshing work the way they want it to, so there is no actual promise to guarantee a single shard universe where everyone you could gather all players in one area at the same time, dynamic server meshing also doesnt allow for an unlimited number of players to gather in one area, dynamic server meshing allows for the splitting up of servers so they handle only a small section of a star system at a time and load in nearby players up to the point where game peformance is effected.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    What are you talking about, all CiG have said was no one bit of tech will solve everything its a combination of many things working together that will make server meshing work the way they want it to, so there is no actual promise to guarantee a single shard universe where everyone you could gather all players in one area at the same time, dynamic server meshing also doesnt allow for an unlimited number of players to gather in one area, dynamic server meshing allows for the splitting up of servers so they handle only a small section of a star system at a time and load in nearby players up to the point where game peformance is effected.
    so there is still hope?
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    so there is still hope?
    Ofc there is. I hear if you buy more ships and an Idris it increases chances of game coming out.

Quote Originally Posted by banmebaby View Post
    Buying concept ships in the cash shop seems to work fine most of the time.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

so there is still hope?
    They already make it work with 150 players in one area and the server handling the whole server at the same time, when the servers are only loading up a portion of the area at a time unlike now a decent amount of players will be able to operate smootly in one area, static server meshing alone will be sufficient enough for the game, dynamic server meshing is just where they actually want to be.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

This "will be" was sponsored by 2012.

so there is still hope?
    If you replace the "h" with a "c", then yes. Otherwise, no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    ... when the servers are only loading up a portion of the area at a time unlike now a decent amount of players will be able to operate smootly in one area, static server meshing alone will be sufficient enough for the game, dynamic server meshing is just where they actually want to be.
    How small can those portions end up being? What if you have 1000 players congregating all within the exact same location, say one of the court yards in Orison? Will all those be managed by the same server or will that small area be sub partitioned by dynamic server meshing in even smaller areas and assigned to new servers? How small will those sub partitioned areas be?

Define "smoothly" please: Will players in contiguous portions of an area see each other across the boundaries of the portions? Will bullets or projectiles of any kind be able to cross those boundaries seamlessly and players be able to shoot each other from different portions of the area as if they were in the same portion? If the answer is yes, then all servers managing those portions will have to manage at the same time all that same information from other portions, so please remind me again, what is the point in having separate servers in the first place then?
    Last edited by Cloverfield; 2023-05-26 at 12:30 PM.