10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    Yeah for me the entire issue is the bedtime. Games ending at 11:30? Fuck that.
    *laughs in European*

11:30 finishes for me are early.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Apparently, the Commanders were denied their trademark which could mean having to rename ... again.
    Which would be lucky cause commanders is a trash name. So is Guardians. All these teams changing names need to pull out a fucking thesaurus. fucking vanilla, black tie cunts. How is “Jaguars” one of the most unique names in the league?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    How is “Jaguars” one of the most unique names in the league?
    Because it's the only team name Americans constantly mispronounce? >.>

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Apparently, the Commanders were denied their trademark which could mean having to rename ... again.
    Hey new ownership time to start shopping the team to cities. Get a new stadium and extra bonus, they can get a locally-sourced team name.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Hey new ownership time to start shopping the team to cities. Get a new stadium and extra bonus, they can get a locally-sourced team name.
    The Portland SuperSonics
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Don't think any team ever kept an extra kicker just for kickoffs. It's usually handled between the kicker and the punter, either of the 2 will have enough leg for it (and if they don't wtf are you doing with team building?).

The rest is true though.

Kick return and punt return are 2 different specializations and the really good returners can do both, but it's often 2 separate people on a team, with a bunch of back ups, also for that specific position and not for the other. It's usually the guys with more agility and burst that do punt return and the ones with more top speed that end up on Kick Return.

So that means the guys that figure into the Kick Return mix have less value to the team now, so if the choice has to be made about who to keep, that benefit that a player had is about as useful as their ability to play the ukelele to their roster chances.

Same thing for guys that work on coverage teams, there's differences between Punt and Kick teams, and if part of your current job description is to be on the field for them, then your chance to make the team just took a hit.

Honestly though, I don't think teams are going to overreact to this right away. The rule is only for 1 year and not every team is going to decide to just fair catch everything now, so there'll still be plenty of returns.

But if the rule sticks beyond this year, then yeah you will probably see more and more teams reconsider their investment in Kick OFf units and Kick Return units. But with College ranks already using this system, there might just be a natural flow where less people in the league are very good in it, and less people are also needed for it. And teams slowly in a couple of years changing their priorities as Fair Catches become more prominent.

Then again, maybe the league finally figures out a radically different way to do kick returns that makes them fun AND safe. Some of the development leagues have experimented with the play, and there's options out there to change it if they wanted. And then there might be NEW demand for special teams aces for Kick Off and Kick Return, but maybe they have very different physical attributes. Or maybe they become more like Putn Returns and punt return and punting units gain in prominence and see their roster security go up.

Who knows?
    Good points... One thing that I would like to see that I doubt we ever will is to put a cross bar on the field goal... you can't just sky it to the moon and it be good. Gotta get in in the goal. Another is if you get it in the FG with the bar you get an extra point or they have to start on the 10 or 15 during a kick off.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Because it's the only team name Americans constantly mispronounce? >.>
    Don't worry they will be the London "Jaguwares" or London Jugularies" soon enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Don't worry they will be the London "Jaguwares" or London Jugularies" soon enough.
    There's only one acceptable name for a London based team.

10+ Year Old Account
    Drawplay Dave had a potential compromise
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    Yeah for me the entire issue is the bedtime. Games ending at 11:30?
    Not happening for me either.

Not sure why Denver signed Frank Clark. He doesn't exist until the playoffs, and that isn't happening this season.

I guess it hurts the Chiefs and someone was needed at OLB when Randy Gregory gets hurt after 5 games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    Not sure why Denver signed Frank Clark. He doesn't exist until the playoffs, and that isn't happening this season.

I guess it hurts the Chiefs and someone was needed at OLB when Randy Gregory gets hurt after 5 games.
    Yeah, seems like an... uncommon pickup for them.

I LOVE Lamar Jackson & the Ravens.. What a Awesome team they have going into the 23 Season

We have quite a few Ravens in our neighbourhood (Birds) .. I say hello and say to them Superbowl Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo88 View Post
    I LOVE Lamar Jackson & the Ravens.. What a Awesome team they have going into the 23 Season

We have quite a few Ravens in our neighbourhood (Birds) .. I say hello and say to them Superbowl Yeah.

I admire your optimism.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo88 View Post

I am just glad that the Falcons passed on Lamar and the Baltimore Browns kept him.

I am just glad that the Falcons passed on Lamar and the Baltimore Browns kept him.
    That's a real strange take. Not a good one either.

But them going after Watson was okay the prior year?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    That's a real strange take. Not a good one either.

But them going after Watson was okay the prior year?
    No that was not okay either. I was never on the Watson or Lamar camp. Ryan as we see was not the answer either and moving on from him was the right move. Mariota was just a stopgap. Ridder might prove to be the answer we shall see with all the pieces around him.

Lamar was too much money for one player when the Falcons had a large number of holes to fill. Take too many draft picks for a trade. Lamar was not a good fit honestly. All he would have done was put butts in the seats for the first half of the season as teams ran through the defense like it wasn't there. Then people would have stopped coming do to the record.

No that was not okay either. I was never on the Watson or Lamar camp. Ryan as we see was not the answer either and moving on from him was the right move. Mariota was just a stopgap. Ridder might prove to be the answer we shall see with all the pieces around him.

Lamar was too much money for one player when the Falcons had a large number of holes to fill. Take too many draft picks for a trade. Lamar was not a good fit honestly. All he would have done was put butts in the seats for the first half of the season as teams ran through the defense like it wasn't there. Then people would have stopped coming do to the record.
    The most important 'hole' to fill is QB. You get that right and it covers up a lot of other mistakes. Good luck on Ridder, I know as a Saints fan I'm really happy to watch him as the Falcons QB instead of Jackson!

I'd rather have Ridder than Jackson at this point. At least he is easy to move on from when he sucks and/or gets hurt. Jackson is living off of hype from 2019 and has been injured 2 seasons in a row. Unless he becomes the first run focused QB to have success after teams figure him out and having injuries, Ravens are screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    I'd rather have Ridder than Jackson at this point. At least he is easy to move on from when he sucks and/or gets hurt. Jackson is living off of hype from 2019 and has been injured 2 seasons in a row. Unless he becomes the first run focused QB to have success after teams figure him out and having injuries, Ravens are screwed.
    At least with Ridder you're aiming to finish with a shittier record to get a better draft choice, so sure if you're trying to get a QB of the future in the draft it is the best path.