View Poll Results: Do you hate the graphics of reforged?

Voters
507. This poll is closed
  • Love it!

199 39.25%
  • Hate it!

308 60.75%
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkknight97 View Post
    I'm looking back at Warcraft 3 Reforged and I'm like damn What the Hell Happened? Tons of Stuff that was promised but was never made or delivered.

My only hope is that when Microsoft or atleast the Fans fix the Campaigns along with set Lore Human Kingdoms, Orc Clans, Tons of missing Lore Characters, and etc. I'm hoping Warcraft 3 Reforged gets the better treatment like Diablo 2 HD was with Better HD Cinematics, Starcraft like Campaigns, Races like Blood Elves, Naga, Burning Legion, Draenei, and etc and tons of stuff I think would save Warcraft 3 from the ruined grave.

All I'm waiting for now is hoping the Chronicles of the Second War Team finally finish up the Warcraft 2 Orc Campaign so that many others and I can enjoy playing it like the very first time of a true warcraft hd title.
    every game release since 2019 has had these issues with some obvious studious and game series having extreme cases of this. ie battlefield, star wars, that red something game that came out a week ago and got forgotten instantly etc

5+ Year Old Account
    No matter the topic, someone will find a way to redirect it to complain about their current aggro.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheMizAwesome View Post
    I think if Microsoft deal goes through, W3 Reforged will be one of the first games that would appear on gamepass, so maybe they will do something with it.

There was this survey sent in january i think that was asking questions about some soft reboot of W3 Reforged, i wonder what happened with that and if they actually will do it.

From what i remember many models and such were outsourced in W3Reforged, i would like at least when it comes to art department for more "warcrafty" feel to models in game and not ultra realistic, i liked it for a while before game launched, but the new art doesn't feel "warcrafty" enough, if it makes sense.
    Might just be a texture thing. It's not painterly and cartoonish in the same way WoW and the original WC3 were

Honestly they need some wins this Blizzcon and fixing WC3 so they can add all the content that was promised would be a solid win for them.

Still holding out for a AoE2 style Retro expansion. There's plenty of lore to explore between WC3 and Classic WoW, a new campaign with new creeps would be a great addition. And some of the creeps can be retroactive additions of stuff we've seen in WoW, like Draenei or Worgen or Forsaken units.

If Microsoft takes over and dedicates a team to it, they could really bring back the WC3 glory.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilithvia View Post
    Might just be a texture thing. It's not painterly and cartoonish in the same way WoW and the original WC3 were
    Yeah, textures look ultra-realistic and like you said not painterly and such, while look at hots for example, it's more cartoonish and goes better with the background and i dunno, just more fitting with the style.

Like in that picture just looking at the models, it makes a big difference and hots style of colors, textures, outlines(obviously they can't just change engines) would be also easier to read and play in my opinion.

W3R reforged models look like when you download mega HD armor mod for skyrim but didn't install any graphical enhancements besides that for flora and lighting.

Last edited by ImTheMizAwesome; 2023-05-29 at 05:07 AM.

Anyone thinking the Microsoft merger in any way spells revitalization for Warcraft III is delusional at best. One need only to look at any other game studio Microsoft has started working with over the past decade to see if the Microsoft merger actually did them any good...

The problem, of course, isn't Microsoft itself. It's that these studios weren't any good by the time they're being taker over. They themselves nose dive into a ditch, blame things on everyone else and then clearly demonstrate it was them all along that messed up since Microsoft happens to give a significant amount of freedom to the studios it takes over.
    Last edited by Flaks; 2023-05-29 at 05:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Anyone thinking the Microsoft merger in any way spells revitalization for Warcraft III is delusional at best. One need only to look at any other game studio Microsoft has started working with over the past decade to see if the Microsoft merger actually did them any good...

The problem, of course, isn't Microsoft itself. It's that these studios weren't any good by the time they're being taker over. They themselves nose dive into a ditch, blame things on everyone else and then clearly demonstrate it was them all along that messed up since Microsoft happens to give a significant amount of freedom to the studios it takes over.
    https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/cos...tensive%20lore.

Prolly worth a read if you wanna know what tanked Reforged.

It wasn't because of 'studio wasn't good'. We know they can do a good job cuz they made a good remake before and after Reforged. SCR and D2R are fantastic remakes, with D2R getting NEW content every season.

Reforged was merely mismanaged, under budgeted and given a specific deadline, while team got cut down. Now it's being rumored to be even remade again, but no clue what the status is.

If MS values the potential of classic games more than Activision is now, then it could get a revisit.

We could use more of what Vicarious Visions did for D2R back into WC3.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2023-05-29 at 11:35 PM.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenFromMarketing View Post
    I'm just baffled that they didn't use the HotS artstyle.
    RIGHT?! The HotS map for Warcraft was fucking amazing! I remember seeing it and I was absolutely blown away. I'm pretty sure someone even made a fake trailer for WC3 using art elements from HotS, though I can't find it anymore.

I never really understood the complaints about WC3 Reforged. I relived the campaigns all over and loved them; I bought it expecting the same game but with high definition graphics and bigger resolution, and that's what I've got. I still play some custom games from time to time and the experience is as good as always.
    Battle for Azeroth
    Best focking Axpansion!

Quote Originally Posted by GabrielKnight View Post
    I never really understood the complaints about WC3 Reforged. I relived the campaigns all over and loved them; I bought it expecting the same game but with high definition graphics and bigger resolution, and that's what I've got. I still play some custom games from time to time and the experience is as good as always.
    Blizzard over promised on some features that didn't make it into the game, and custom campaigns took years to add in apparently when they came shipped with the original Warcraft 3.

Same! Most of the new graphics and icons are great.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, textures look ultra-realistic and like you said not painterly and such, while look at hots for example, it's more cartoonish and goes better with the background and i dunno, just more fitting with the style.

Like in that picture just looking at the models, it makes a big difference and hots style of colors, textures, outlines(obviously they can't just change engines) would be also easier to read and play in my opinion.

W3R reforged models look like when you download mega HD armor mod for skyrim but didn't install any graphical enhancements besides that for flora and lighting.

Honestly if they had gotten the Art Team who made Heroes of the Storm. I'm sure Warcraft 3 Reforged would have been great for it.
    High Elves and Wildhammer Dwarves are finally playable in the Alliance. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkknight97 View Post
    Honestly if they had gotten the Art Team who made Heroes of the Storm. I'm sure Warcraft 3 Reforged would have been great for it.
    Yeah, but probably most of that team is in different company now, sadly.

Hots style is a lot cleaner, looks like it was made in house and didn't have outsourced models and such.

The same goes for D2R, i think they should get that team that is now under blizzard wings to give another go at W3R, do some touch ups here and there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just swooping by to mention that I am happy this thread is still going. Warcraft 3 Reforged is one of the biggest sins in gaming history, and if they want to keep silent about it, the least we can do is speak up.

It would be fine, good even, as a standalone game. But it is not, it's a remake of one of the most popular games ever. It was sloppily thrown together, with models that do not fit the environment, and with minimal changes from the original. I think only two missions got completely reworked, Stratholme and Silvermoon. Some minor tweaks here and there. I don't do PvP, but from what I could understand, the ranked scene just wasn't there at the start, and disconnection issues were plentiful. Also no new cutscenes apart from the Arthas vs Illidan one, which is abhorrent and awfully remade.

On top of it all, customs campaigns are still not a thing, and you cannot play the original W3 if you bought reforged (dunno if they reverted that one). It should have been easy money, but it all turned into an impressive display of tarnishing a legacy that has endured for decades. Never mind that devs went silent some time after release and have been trying to ignore the product ever since.

Reforged accomplished the rare feat of making everything worse for everyone in all regards.

It really cannot be overstated how much better HotS looks than Reforged.

I have seen the incredible effort put in by the War3-R modding community with custom models that just... don't look good on the Reforged engine. There's just something about how the models materials are rendered that makes it look harsh and overly sharpened. I specially do not like how noisy the metallic textures look. It's just not a good look for a RTS that requires clean readability.

Quote Originally Posted by MyWholeLifeIsThunder View Post
    It really cannot be overstated how much better HotS looks than Reforged.

I have seen the incredible effort put in by the War3-R modding community with custom models that just... don't look good on the Reforged engine. There's just something about how the models materials are rendered that makes it look harsh and overly sharpened. I specially do not like how noisy the metallic textures look. It's just not a good look for a RTS that requires clean readability.
    Obviously, Warcraft Reforged should have been built on what ever engine they used for Heroes of the Storm. Reforged's engine has new assets with just upscaled old graphics which makes the game not feel right. Kind of like uncanny valley for video games. The new GTA remastered stuff falls into that category as well.

Problem is, that if they did what I knew they should have done, that is pretty much making a new game from scratch at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Melorandor View Post
    Obviously, Warcraft Reforged should have been built on what ever engine they used for Heroes of the Storm. Reforged's engine has new assets with just upscaled old graphics which makes the game not feel right. Kind of like uncanny valley for video games. The new GTA remastered stuff falls into that category as well.

Problem is, that if they did what I knew they should have done, that is pretty much making a new game from scratch at that point.
    That'd be difficult to replicate WC3's unique gameplay.

For example, WC3 was built off square based collision, which made for more awkward pathfinding but better formations for blocking enemy units. This was useful for surrounding and boxing enemy heroes with only a handful of basic units, if positioned correctly. Unit collision was more like moving buildings.

Starcraft and Heroes had circular collision, so better for smoother pathfinding but not as good for blocking or boxing. It's MUCH easier to slip by an enemy blocking your path. This benefit hit and run harassment heroes and fast unit compositions over melee-heavy compositions. This is fine in SC2 because it's a ranged-heavy game and melee tends to be made in high numbers for a good surround, not the case with WC3 and its limited army numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Melorandor View Post

Indeed, so I really wished they had at least gone for an art style and rendering that complimented the engine.

Why couldn't they have made a proper updated campaign?
    The story and lore is what interested me.
    I'm so disappointed with these irrelevant multiplayer tunings.
    If I was Blizzard, I would have made a totally new second expansion. Adding everything you would expect.

3+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, but probably most of that team is in different company now, sadly.

Hots style is a lot cleaner, looks like it was made in house and didn't have outsourced models and such.
    I agree, it's much more readable that way
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

I make Warcraft 3 Reforged HD custom models and I'm also an HD model reviewer.