Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodykiller86 View Post
    ok and if they still had stupid simple dungeons and raids no one would have any goals in the game. everything would be cleared 2 hours after release which makes it pointless. If you arent planning to do harder content why would you need better gear? you dont so idk whats this bs about all your stuff resetting every season when it clearly isnt true.
    Are you really implying that Vanilla had the success it did because no one had any goals in the game? /popcorn
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

So in addition to mortalblow resurrecting cantrip, trimble is just Empower and whoever the ones were before that. Fascinating
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    I didn't say you were forced to do anything in retail.

- - - Updated - - -

You are only demonstrating my point. Whether or not world content is more dynamic and/or engaging has nothing to do with anything you are talking about. The weird way that you are this hyper-fixated on difficulty and rewards is the problem.

This is like if I said that you have a problematic fixation on Jennifer Lawrence and then you wrote a multiple-paragraph essay about how great she is in order to prove me wrong.
    I guess its because its the only issue I can see. World content isn't my cup of tea but it seems littered with events in the new zone along with the usual mix of rares.

I guess its because its the only issue I can see. World content isn't my cup of tea but it seems littered with events in the new zone along with the usual mix of rares.
    The world content is incredibly bland, rarely incorporating any interesting or engaging combat mechanics. You get a handful of gimmicks and almost everything is an isolated little event without any connection to what else is happening.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

art made with paint is so last-gen

The world content is incredibly bland, rarely incorporating any interesting or engaging combat mechanics. You get a handful of gimmicks and almost everything is an isolated little event without any connection to what else is happening.
    It kind of has to be. I don't really know what you mean by interesting or engaging mechanics... if you mean something of the level of brawlers guild it would need an arena.

It kind of has to be. I don't really know what you mean by interesting or engaging mechanics... if you mean something of the level of brawlers guild it would need an arena.
    FF14 manages to make fights similar in engagement to Brawler's Guild but inside open areas.
    -ynnady

FF14 manages to make fights similar in engagement to Brawler's Guild but inside open areas.
    I doubt it... I don't know I admit but unless those mobs require full groups and effectively act as outdoor dungeons im skeptical of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Are you really implying that Vanilla had the success it did because no one had any goals in the game? /popcorn
    i played vanilla, the main reason people loved the game was because so many people started at the same time. that gives a huge difference to any experience. also people weren't nearly as good as they are now back then so everything was a pain in the ass. theres no more mystery, its a boring ass game now lol i would never go back personally as its a massive waste of time

- - - Updated - - -

Because gearing up is fun.
    gearing up is fun, getting gear you dont deserve isnt fun for anyone or did you forget all the welfare gear comments in WoTLK? You want better gear? work for it

I doubt it... I don't know I admit but unless those mobs require full groups and effectively act as outdoor dungeons im skeptical of it.
    The way FF14 accomplishes this is by making mechanics predominantly individualized. Twenty or more players may be fighting the boss, and while the players can certainly help each other out, the design is such that you are attempting to stay alive by dealing with mechanics that impact you directly.

- - - Updated - - -

i played vanilla, the main reason people loved the game was because so many people started at the same time. that gives a huge difference to any experience. also people weren't nearly as good as they are now back then so everything was a pain in the ass. theres no more mystery, its a boring ass game now lol i would never go back personally as its a massive waste of time
    Good for you. I still love it.

gearing up is fun, getting gear you dont deserve isnt fun for anyone or did you forget all the welfare gear comments in WoTLK? You want better gear? work for it
    Gearing up by doing the content you enjoy is fun. If you have some weird fixation on who deserves what, that's a you problem.
    -ynnady

5+ Year Old Account
    i played vanilla, the main reason people loved the game was because so many people started at the same time.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodiark View Post
    I guess you really didn't read what I wrong or understood my points. Graphics would be the top layer of the new engine I suggested MIGHT help the game achieve better dynamic gameplay and depth of storytelling.
    Yeah i did read that and countered with: it will change the game at its core to much. And graphics does not impact gameplay or story. Graphics are looks/style.

And btw i started reacting on your thread starter post. You did not talk about new game engine . You only talked about looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodiark View Post
    IT's like building a terminator unit. Complicated skeletal framework with a powerful neural processor. With a fresh layer of skin and a coat of paint on top. My coat of paint which I suggested was the Cell-Shading angle. But more importantly than that was the actual engine underneath. The skeleton and backbone of the game that might allow for deeper gameplay.
    Yes, a coat of paint might make it look different. But it does not change the skeletal framework.
    And yes a new game engine might be very good. I agree with you on that.
    But your thread starter and your first reactions to me where purely on looks.

Look at project grunt. While it looks awsome. Some parts like the icecrown video , it looks worse then current WoW. and overall it feels lacking the WoW spirit.

So looks wise you are dead wrong: looks without updating to a new engine does not work. And a new style also might brake the game and make it look more silly. And the cartoon style makes it timeless. While you see other games age faster. And looks does not affect gameplay.

If you talk about a complete new engine with update looks. But keeping the spirit of the looks. And upgrading but not changing the game. then yeah i agree that would help WoW in the long run.

But seeing as how much content there is in WoW. and how much they need to update....pfff the cost and time to make that is i think way to heigh.

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    This is a topic that's been discussed many times here, but the situation hasn't really changed from 5 years ago. There is a decision for Blizzard for what's next; a new engine and maybe a wow 2, or continue to endlessly hop up the venerable wow engine and world. Some of the recent datamining hints at the latter. The issue Blizzard's brought up before though is that there's just really too much content to completely redo all of the existing wow zones and expansions in a new engine. So that's why I've always expected them to start with a clean slate (at least for areas) if/when they go to wow 2.

But as far as the real longevity for wow, that's hard to say without knowing the numbers. But even 1M monthly subs is >$100M a year, which can keep servers running for a long time if they halt development on it at some point. It could be profitable for a very long time yet, even if the 10M+ sub golden days are probably done.

Quote Originally Posted by baskev View Post
    Yeah i did read that and countered with: it will change the game at its core to much. And graphics does not impact gameplay or story. Graphics are looks/style.

And btw i started reacting on your thread starter post. You did not talk about new game engine . You only talked about looks.

Yes, a coat of paint might make it look different. But it does not change the skeletal framework.
    And yes a new game engine might be very good. I agree with you on that.
    But your thread starter and your first reactions to me where purely on looks.

Look at project grunt. While it looks awsome. Some parts like the icecrown video , it looks worse then current WoW. and overall it feels lacking the WoW spirit.

So looks wise you are dead wrong: looks without updating to a new engine does not work. And a new style also might brake the game and make it look more silly. And the cartoon style makes it timeless. While you see other games age faster. And looks does not affect gameplay.

If you talk about a complete new engine with update looks. But keeping the spirit of the looks. And upgrading but not changing the game. then yeah i agree that would help WoW in the long run.

But seeing as how much content there is in WoW. and how much they need to update....pfff the cost and time to make that is i think way to heigh.
    Maybe it would be a high cost. But I think about all the little things an updated engine might accomplish as I've said before in some of my responses. Updated physics, dynamic gameplay, improved mob UI. These are just a few of the things I had in mind when I made this post but somehow the "looks" parts got highlighted above those points.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Biglog View Post
    This is a topic that's been discussed many times here, but the situation hasn't really changed from 5 years ago. There is a decision for Blizzard for what's next; a new engine and maybe a wow 2, or continue to endlessly hop up the venerable wow engine and world. Some of the recent datamining hints at the latter. The issue Blizzard's brought up before though is that there's just really too much content to completely redo all of the existing wow zones and expansions in a new engine. So that's why I've always expected them to start with a clean slate (at least for areas) if/when they go to wow 2.

But as far as the real longevity for wow, that's hard to say without knowing the numbers. But even 1M monthly subs is >$100M a year, which can keep servers running for a long time if they halt development on it at some point. It could be profitable for a very long time yet, even if the 10M+ sub golden days are probably done.
    I agree with your points. However from some of the recent discussions I've been following and some of the videos by various content creators like (but not limited to), Taliesin and Evitel, Bellular, SoulsoBreezy, etc, it seems like WoW might be aiming to solve the engine problem with the discovery of new lands in the game and perhaps even alternate timelines via the whole bronze dragonflight angle. Many clues point to the discovery of new lands and such from various things in the game recently and also some datamining tidbits.

That said if something causes the game world(s) to be re-done/re-designed then they could technically use each expansion going forward to revamp each area. This kind of ties in with an earlier thread I created where I suggested perhaps the use of either phasing tech or some such to update some of the actual progress of the questlines in the various zones we've been in a thousand times. Some of these revamp rumors actually sort of hint at this direction where we might actually see some progress at last from 12 years ago when Cata released a revamped Azeroth following the devastation wrought by Deathwing.

In all the years people have said that a "WoW 2" would be a good idea I have always disagreed because why would I want to start over, leaving everything I've accomplished and acquired in current WoW behind?

And then I stopped defaulting to the idea that a WoW 2 would even be made with me, as a customer, in mind. It's no secret that WoW does not get many new players any longer, especially younger ones. The playerbase has aged and dwindled over time and it's never going to improve. That doesn't mean it's dying, by any means, but that growth is not to be expected or to be likely.

A WoW 2, however, could appeal to the younger crowd and just newer players in general because it would be a brand-new game with a fresh start for all those potential players, rather than the current situation with WoW where anyone contemplating starting the game will quickly realize that they are already nearly 20 years behind.

With that thinking, I imagine that a "WoW 2" is more likely, eventually. It has to be something more than what Blizzard did with Overwatch 2, however, which was basically a scam and a cashgrab.

The way FF14 accomplishes this is by making mechanics predominantly individualized. Twenty or more players may be fighting the boss, and while the players can certainly help each other out, the design is such that you are attempting to stay alive by dealing with mechanics that impact you directly.

- - - Updated - - -

Good for you. I still love it.

Gearing up by doing the content you enjoy is fun. If you have some weird fixation on who deserves what, that's a you problem.
    if you enjoy raiding but can only do normal and heroic...then whats the problem? what exactly is there to complain about? are you upset that you cant get mythic gear?

If DF is any indication then any question of WoW longevity is a "yes and no." It'll be called "World of Warcraft" and it may use characters that will have the same names, but that's it. Any resemblance and continuity to the older game is likely to be flushed away. The current expansion is all that matters.

if you enjoy raiding but can only do normal and heroic...then whats the problem? what exactly is there to complain about? are you upset that you cant get mythic gear?
    Sounds like you’ve been rehearsing an argument in your head with someone else. Not interested.

Gearing up doing the content you enjoy is fun. The end.
    -ynnady

Sounds like you’ve been rehearsing an argument in your head with someone else. Not interested.

Gearing up doing the content you enjoy is fun. The end.
    unless i replied to the wrong person at some point i dont think so lol but maybe

and yes gearing up doing content you enjoy is fun. but you cant expect to get gear from content you cannot complete

unless i replied to the wrong person at some point i dont think so lol but maybe

and yes gearing up doing content you enjoy is fun. but you cant expect to get gear from content you cannot complete
    I don't care what the specific gear is named or looks like. I only care that people can gear up doing the content they enjoy.
    -ynnady