Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The most I'd want them to do is something like Honor Talents. Have a larger pool of options, maybe 10 and you can pick 3. Otherwise, I generally prefer races to have persistent passive effects as much as possible with maybe 1 active button that makes sense (War Stomp). "Progressing" your race feels odd.

I would say, and this is tangentially related, they need more "cultural" exploration for each of the races. I don't want a Tauren racial talent tree, but what I do want is my Tauren paladin to have a suite of Sunwalker themed abilities instead of the standard human Christian version of the light.

Same with Troll Shadow Priests being able to worship Bwonsamdi and Loa instead of Old Gods.

Night Elf Paladins and Elune.

etc

10+ Year Old Account
    at this point just cut the racial bonuses and make it purely cosmetic. Maybe everyone has some kind of non-combat thing that they can do.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

15+ Year Old Account
    Does this game really need 4 different manners of specialization? lol.

Spec talents
    Racial talents
    Profession talents
    Faction/item/novelty talents

It's a bit much when all of them funnel into a min max end game meant to be inclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    I wouldn't mind something like this but they'd have to be balanced evenly or you'd see ridiculous stuff like players getting booted from groups for playing the "less optimal" race for their spec.
    Not a Gnome / Troll mage? Booterang to the face.

Racials have not mattered since TBC for 99% of the community. This is an old meme.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    "Progressing" your race feels odd.
    Your post seems directed to my ideas...and as such it's about you, the player character + your class, and what you'd represent racially speaking.
    I would say, and this is tangentially related, they need more "cultural" exploration for each of the races. I don't want a Tauren racial talent tree, but what I do want is my Tauren paladin to have a suite of Sunwalker themed abilities instead of the standard human Christian version of the light.
    I posted something earlier of Tauren Sunwalkers wielding "weapons of sunlight" against the undead (forsaken), making a suitable impression on the Scarlet Crusaders' commander on the field.
    Night Elf Paladins and Elune. etc
    Hmf...no Nightelf paladins for me, as I've something else in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Berkilak View Post
    The homogenization of race-class combinations is trending in the opposite direction of what you propose.
    actually he is just suggesting a deeper racial system with the caveat that some races seem more suited to certain classes "lore-wise". However I think the point was more the deeper system with multiple paths via a talent like system with the possibility of a racial weapon.

Perhaps choosing those different paths would allow ANY race to be better at ANY class depending on their path. Of Course you would have to have it balanced but unless a player chooses a wildly conflicting course, eg a Human Vrykul themed Frost mage trying to cast fire spells, or some such nonsense, then it would provide some much needed depth to the otherwise stale racial system we have now.

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    at this point just cut the racial bonuses and make it purely cosmetic. Maybe everyone has some kind of non-combat thing that they can do.
    They're already pretty much cosmetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Lochton View Post
    I pitched an idea a while back of giving us the option to coordinate our choices of racials for the character we play/want to play.

So, you have a selection of racials, with a limitation of how many of each kind you can pick, and the availability of racials is dependent on your level, so, lvl 1, has 1 point to put in, while lvl 70 has 4-5 points.

Making it able for a lvl 70 Human to have Rocket Jump (Goblin, use ability), Set Camp (Vulpera, use ability), Brawn (Tauren, Passive Ability), Hardiness (Orc, Passive Ability), and Might of the Mountain (Dwarf, Passive Ability).
    Wouldn't it make sense to group the exchangeable racials along race related lines? firstly, but then extendable later but requiring you learn the ways of the race so to speak. A nice idea though. I like the premise.

If you've played League of Legend it'd be great if they did similar its Runes system with customisable perks between Offensive, Defensive and Utility.

With a few VERY noteworthy exceptions like Stoneform, Shadowmeld, or Rocket Jump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Diplomacy says Hi.
    The various +Stats racial abilities also says Hello.

They should cut the things like Heroic Presence or The Human spirit, keep in place the profession bonus perks (Cultivation, Flayer, etc), and call it a day.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Wouldn't it make sense to group the exchangeable racials along race related lines? firstly, but then extendable later but requiring you learn the ways of the race so to speak. A nice idea though. I like the premise.
    Its just talent points but with a weird shadowland semi permanent choice bullshit the playerbase hated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well. We know that racials are an issue in race setup as well, hence the idea of, "What if you could pick your own racials, make the race you want to play, part of the "meta" instead of chasing it".

Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    Its just talent points but with a weird shadowland semi permanent choice bullshit the playerbase hated.
    Nope, not even close. It is just, pick your racials, and get going, nothing more.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

I too want more RPG in my MMORPG, sadly too many people don't give a shit.

I don't mean scrap the current racial, but maybe do to races/racials what they did with Artifact weapons? Like have a tree and path etc.

And maybe tie in an extra slot for a racial weapon or effect system.

It just seems odd that certain races who are excellent in lore for certain classes or have legendary sects/castes in a class aren't usually first choice for that class because of racials, or at least not as competitive as the first choice for racials.

Still i would have races have certain effects amplifeid in certain classes.. they could do these as abilities or bake them into the racial weapon
    And how would you propose to make this work without forcing race choices into the whole "min-max" mindset? I mean, worse than they already are, of course.

Because what you propose here (a "talent tree" of sorts) means granting even more player power to the races than they already have.

Combat racials are antiquated in modern WoW and should be removed

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    I too want more RPG in my MMORPG, sadly too many people don't give a shit.
    We had shadowlands pretty sure they made the lead dev of "muh rpg and muh meaningful choices" carve in an apology and never to do it again with their finger nails on granite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiark View Post
    actually he is just suggesting a deeper racial system with the caveat that some races seem more suited to certain classes "lore-wise".
    I understand that. And Blizzard is clearly moving away from racial aptitudes as a concept.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like alot of things, racials need a revamp.

As stated before, 11.0 needs to be massive game revamp, world and systems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?