Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Bloodsail Admiral
    1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    Regarding the "new cast" comments...there were some interviews with Yoshi that were worded such that people might have picked up the wrong impression, so I do get it a little bit. Comments about bringing in new characters and saying that characters like Alphinaud can "focus on their own things now" might lead someone to think there was a big shift in cast.

Not going to say Yoshi "lied" though. That seems like nonsense.
    I'm still on "team soft reboot," myself. I wish there was some plausible way to retire WoL and replace them with "a new adventurer!" But I could at least see WoL spearheading some kind of "wise old retired adventurer mentoring new baby adventurers" angle. Obviously our constant companions will never be out of the spotlight for long, but I think it would be healthy for the narrative for them to all take a step back and for us to usher in new blood.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Fixed it for you <3

^quoted bit in original post got an infraction lol

- - - Updated - - -
    lol 13 days later I log back in and find out I got an infraction for this joke. Who has their panties so tied up they can't appreciate a bit of humor, and also, realize the "New World" was very much a nod to America by the devs? America used to be called "the new world" specifically back in 1507 when they were discovered by the Europeans. But yeah, I was putting words into his mouth. Hilarious. Lighten up.

Also, when was this rule put into place? People used to do this all the time on mmo-c and not get into trouble and I saw no news post alerting folks to this rule being put into place.

If anyone doubts that the New World is basically the Americas (read: North and South America) - understand that the devs themselves said Garlemald is basically Russia, Othard/Kugane is China/Japan region, look at the 1.0 realms of Eorzea - Europe! Look where they have Old Sharlyan: off the western coast as a little island nation that left other regions: Great Britain!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    The guy you’re talking to didn’t pay all that much attention to what the story actually did, basically.

It is explicitly stated in the ending of the base 6.0 story that the “disbanding” of the scions were only their public face of their organisation, and not that they would actually cease to be like that.

That fact passed some players by, Val included, despite that they had Alphinaud drop a line to the effect of “at least that’s what the story will be” about their “disbanding”.
    That's what I thought. Why does Val have a Lalafell as their avatar if they don't even pay attention to the game? yeesh
    Last edited by DeltrusDisc; 2023-06-01 at 04:51 PM.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    lol 13 days later I log back in and find out I got an infraction for this joke. Who has their panties so tied up they can't appreciate a bit of humor, and also, realize the "New World" was very much a nod to America by the devs? America used to be called "the new world" specifically back in 1507 when they were discovered by the Europeans. But yeah, I was putting words into his mouth. Hilarious. Lighten up.

Also, when was this rule put into place? People used to do this all the time on mmo-c and not get into trouble and I saw no news post alerting folks to this rule being put into place.

- - - Updated - - -

That's what I thought. Why does Val have a Lalafell as their avatar if they don't even pay attention to the game? yeesh
    Val in general is notorious for having the shittiest, most disingenuous takes ever regardless of the game.
    If you check his post history it almost feels intentional trolling. He basically comes into a post, drops the shittiest take ever and then vanishes and doesn't reply to anyone.
    So I wouldn't pay much attention to what his opinion about the story is.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delever View Post
    Val in general is notorious for having the shittiest, most disingenuous takes ever regardless of the game.
    If you check his post history it almost feels intentional trolling. He basically comes into a post, drops the shittiest take ever and then vanishes and doesn't reply to anyone.
    So I wouldn't pay much attention to what his opinion about the story is.
    Aha, I see. Thank you!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Val is just broadly critical of games in general. Most people don't take it personally, but they seem to in the XIV subforum for some reason.

Sometimes he has good insights, sometimes not. /shrug

Val is just broadly critical of games in general. Most people don't take it personally, but they seem to in the XIV subforum for some reason.

Sometimes he has good insights, sometimes not. /shrug
    It's like they're getting information from someone who heard the story third hand and is basing their opinion on that level of accuracy. Sure there can still be insights, but it's not usually based on an accurate representation of events. And characters and the story are only compelling and fulfilling if someone dies, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    It's like they're getting information from someone who heard the story third hand and is basing their opinion on that level of accuracy. Sure there can still be insights, but it's not usually based on an accurate representation of events. And characters and the story are only compelling and fulfilling if someone dies, apparently.
    The "characters dying" part is an interesting topic, I think we've touched on it here a bit and I know I've discussed it in other game/book/show places.

It's interesting because I don't think people WANT anyone to die, but at the same time if a story arc hinges on creating a feeling of tension, danger, and so on...it'll always fall flat if you never believe that anyone is in danger. (Or if "red shirts" are the only people ever in danger)

Which is more or less where XIV is right now, someone can straight up get a Jon Snow dagger in the heart and you still won't believe they're dead. (Just like no one believed it in GoT.)

That doesn't mean there can't be good stories, of course. It just means that stories that are based on the aforementioned elements aren't going to feel as compelling as they might. (See: The body swapping section in EW.)

As an aside, I think that might be why many stories are more compelling in their early stages than the later ones. Early on you might have no idea how things might pan out, but by the time you're midway through a story you have a feeling for what characters aren't going anywhere, what the writers are willing to do, the nature of their storytelling, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    This is a major problem with Val's posts in this subforum. A lot of his gripes comes out of a place that seems like he doesn't remember what many past events in the story were written like.

Like, just one small snippet as an example out of his most recent post in the spoiler thread that runs as a general theme throughout the rest of the post he made:
    They're trying to downplay it but Garlemald is effectively being occupied by the Eorzean Alliance. That is interesting. Why don't they show us this occupation?
    The Eorzean presence in Garlemald in the story isn't an occupation in that manner, it's primary purpose besides getting you to thwarting Fandaniel were established as early as the MSQ quest around lvl ~82-83 that it's supposed to be a humanitarian aid mission to help the people there, and not an attempt to one-up the Garleans for revenge by occupying them, and yet he questions that it's not written as an occupation by patch 6.4

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    This is a major problem with Val's posts in this subforum. A lot of his gripes comes out of a place that seems like he doesn't remember what many past events in the story were written like.

Like, just one small snippet as an example out of his most recent post in the spoiler thread that runs as a general theme throughout the rest of the post he made:

The Eorzean presence in Garlemald in the story isn't an occupation in that manner, it's primary purpose besides getting you to thwarting Fandaniel were established as early as the MSQ quest around lvl ~82-83 that it's supposed to be a humanitarian aid mission to help the people there, and not an attempt to one-up the Garleans for revenge by occupying them, and yet he questions that it's not written as an occupation by patch 6.4
    In fairness, it IS all but an occupation as described in 6.4. We maintan a military presence in their territory, we're occupying the Imperial Palace (which we should be, given what it is now, but still), the Garlean government as it stood has been dissolved, the Alliance is currently responsible for the administration of the area, and the citizens are wholly reliant on us for even basic rations, supplies and defense.

That's the definition of an occupation in basically every way.

It's a "friendly" occupation perhaps - and the Alliance is trying to make it a humanitarian mission - but those things are still consistent with what can happen in an occupation. I don't think there's really any other term that works for what the arrangement is.
    Last edited by Ghost of Cow; 2023-06-02 at 06:16 PM.

In fairness, it IS all but an occupation as described in 6.4. We maintan a military presence in their territory, we're occupying the Imperial Palace (which we should be, given what it is now, but still), the Garlean government as it stood has been dissolved, the Alliance is currently responsible for the administration of the area, and the citizens are wholly reliant on us for even basic rations, supplies and defense.

It's a "friendly" occupation perhaps - and the Alliance is trying to make it a humanitarian mission - but those things are still consistent with what can happen in an occupation. I don't think there's really any other term that works for what the arrangement is.
    My issue with the post is more that he's saying they don't show it.

They absolutely DO show it and talk about it, multiple times throughout the MSQ when we're taken to Garlemald, especially in the latest patch. It's not made into a 15 long cutscene with an entire patch worth of content literally showing it to you, but the dialogue that occurs when in Garlemald as part of the MSQ makes frequent reference to the Alliance being there and helping out, not to mention the fact that the entirety of Camp Broken Glass is filled with Alliance NPCs all the time. AND, this part of the story actually has NPC's die! Which is right up Vals alley.

So for someone like Val, who seemingly tries to make a point of showing how invested and knowledgeable of story and narrative in FFXIV and other forms of media, to say something like "WhY dOnT ThEy ShOw IT?" when it's there for all and sundry to see if you were only paying attention, calls into question the veracity of any post discussing the story and their opinions about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Has there been any more info on the graphics update?

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Not as of yet, but that kind of thing takes a long time and we already know that they said that we'd be seeing things mostly come up with the next expansion. We have seen some indication of it already, though, considering that they've put in newer versions of old armor into the game with upgraded looks to them. Even then, they've also said it's going to be a slow process so don't expect things like the character model update we saw in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account

I'm not convinced that's the manner a guy who says things like the following interprets the term.
    Sorry. That tower is the only method of easy transportation to the moon. Your country will be a vassal province of the Eorzean Alliance forever. You will never be allowed to decide what to do with the tower.
    ... They can't. They're being occupied. The Alliance wants to use the tower, which means occupying the surrounding area in which a local populace dwells. Said populace must be prevented from seizing the tower or interfering with people travelling to and fro the tower. Which means that the populace must either be controlled or eliminated.
    Val is expecting the game to show a much harsher occupation going on than what the story has been going for since early 6.0 here, the game is not at all downplaying the power differences between the contingent and the local community there otherwise, in fact it goes out of its way to show that they're trying to work with them without persecuting them so they can get back on their feet and rely less on aid.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Expect a chunky update at FanFest.

YoshiP has been sorta glib about showing it off at FanFest.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Expect a chunky update at FanFest.

YoshiP has been sorta glib about showing it off at FanFest.
    Hmph! How very glib. And do you believe in FanFest?

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    FanFest's information is forged of falsehoods. It's presentations are built on deceit. And faith in Yoshi is an instrument of deception.

....ok, ok, that's enough I suppose.

Speaking of fanfest though, does anyone else think we'll get a different WoL in the cinematic? Maybe instead of derplander we will get a female Midlander? I remember there was an interview shortly after EW came out and YoshiP said they might think about it.

I still can't believe they removed that line in 6.3. :'c

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of fanfest though, does anyone else think we'll get a different WoL in the cinematic? Maybe instead of derplander we will get a female Midlander? I remember there was an interview shortly after EW came out and YoshiP said they might think about it.
    I'd be surprised. The bigger question for me is: what job will Meteor (or, if it is the case, the stand-in WoL) be?

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    I'd be surprised. The bigger question for me is: what job will Meteor (or, if it is the case, the stand-in WoL) be?
    It tends to be "protagonist" figures, and we've already had...um, Warrior, Dragoon, Monk, Samurai, Dark Knight and Paladin? (Bard if you count pre-ARR I think it was?)

Gunbreaker would seem to be stepping directly on Thancred's toes too much. Reaper seems almost too obvious, and we already had Zenos and Zero doing that, so I dunno. Ninja seems thematically out of place - though whatever the next expansion is could change that, of course.

Maybe it really could be Reaper. Or just a new job entirely.

Two days until Fan Fest. Can't wait to see the new trailer, possible new jobs and a sneak peak at the Hrothgar females and graphics update.