1+ Year Old Account

Is there even a point in making an archer?

Similarly to the other thread.

All the recommended Rogue builds are melee builds, with the exception of one "ranged" build that just uses traps, so it's not technically a "bowazon" build.

There doesn't seem to be an effective Archery build that uses primarily ranged weapon attacks. Which is very strange, as archery is one of the staple gamestyles of any game.

Reminds of me of Skyrim, another game where archery is just a support combat skill and not really meant to be a primary gameplay.
    Last edited by Cynical Asshole; 2023-06-05 at 05:59 AM.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynical Asshole View Post

All the recommended Rogue builds are melee builds, with the exception of one "ranged" build that just uses traps, so it's not technically a "bowazon" build.

There doesn't seem to be an effective Archery build that uses primarily ranged weapon attacks. Which is very strange, as archery is one of the staple gamestyles of any game.

Reminds of me of Skyrim, another game where archery is just a support combat skill and not really meant to be a primary gameplay.
    hehe have you never played sneak attack archer in Skyrim?

That shit is busted man xD

1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars_Trueskills View Post
    hehe have you never played sneak attack archer in Skyrim?

That shit is busted man xD
    Yeah, it's a support skill for Sneak, which can also be played with melee.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes: here is reason - "I like shooting arrows".

But really, it's ARPG - if you want meta builds, then there's that. Twisting Blades and its variants are pretty busted and will probably get nerfed the shit out of.

This whole pre-season will be full of balance patches like the one yesterday, by the time S1 launches - who knows what will be meta anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post

But really, it's ARPG - if you want meta builds, then there's that. Twisting Blades and its variants are pretty busted and will probably get nerfed the shit out of.

This whole pre-season will be full of balance patches like the one yesterday, by the time S1 launches - who knows what will be meta anymore.
    I use the pre-season just to do achievements both in SC and HC. Meta is in complete limbo and anyone building a "meta" build will see it nerfed before season 1 anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Qnubi View Post
    I use the pre-season just to do achievements both in SC and HC. Meta is in complete limbo and anyone building a "meta" build will see it nerfed before season 1 anyway.
    They already sledgehammered a few builds yessterday - WW Barb, TB Rogue, Arc Sorc. Now these builds were pretty much WAY op - after the nerfs they are still very good, but not SS++++ tier anymore.

I bet they will do these hotfixes every week until S1 and they should, although this thing is like a mythical hydra - every time they cut one head off, 2 more pop out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    My first D4 character is actually a Rogue using the Cold Archer build, and I've been having great fun as well as melting bosses and elite packs with consistent ease. Mind you, I'm not deep into the endgame so I have no idea about the long-term viability of Cold Archer, but so far it's been a blast. I'm not concerned with being pinnacle S-Tier at all times as far as I'm enjoying myself and making it through the content as I go.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    I built as a rapid fire archer up through maybe chapter 4, where things were dying pretty easily and I was never really in much danger until that point.
    Had some items to boost rapid fire, paired with combo points for that extra boost, it was fine.
    Then, I noticed my overall damage output just wasn't keeping up and boss fights were getting a little bit longer, so I swapped out to a poison/flurry build and everything just like, falls over in seconds, and that's just using a dagger with the dungeon aspect of "make blades fan out around you from flurry" thing.
    So yeah, I also feel archery is a bit underpowered rn.

7+ Year Old Account
    Why are you trying to use meta builds

Use what you want man. It's a mostly single player diablo game
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

10+ Year Old Account

Yes, have fun? Don't go for metas, make up your own fun.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

When it comes to rogue build, problem is not the damage of skills, but how rogue manipulate crit and lucky hit. Twisting blade gets to hit 30 times more often then any of its ranged skills in the same amout of time. They nerfed a bit the cd reduce from twisting blade, but if they start nerfing crit and lucky hit stuff that works on everything, you just destroy the other spenders even more. They probably need to buff barrage and ranged spells instead.

1+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post

The problem with that is that you usually reach a point where you get smashed because your build sucks, and then you realise you invested a whole lot of time into something that can't succeed in hard fights.

In D4, the problem is bigger that just having a bad build. In D4 it seems there are no recommended builds that use ranged attacks, which basically means that if you make such a ranged, build it will suck against the obvious things like end dungeon bosses to say the least.
    Last edited by Cynical Asshole; 2023-06-05 at 03:54 PM.

Just play what you want. Why are you -already- following meta builds?

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Just play what you want. Why are you -already- following meta builds?
    To be fair to him, even if he Did not. You quickly realize how the game works with proc stuff and no ICD. Twisting blade just destroy everything on that basis alone. At first I was doing bow and traps, but then switched to twisting blade and trap because even death trap had essentially no cooldown with twisting blade. Then switched to imbuement, since they also have no cooldown with twisting blade lol, so you just spam them.

Expect balancing to continue to happen for the foreseeable future, now the game is in a power flux until they can adjust everything based on the data from the players.

Play how you want to play it.

I'm currently playing a Shape Shifting Druid that swaps between Werewolf and Werebear that uses a Legendary that expunges applied poisons for a nasty AoE burst that I applied with Shred's 3rd hit while utilizing the final Key perk that adds 20% attack speed [WW] and damage [WB] that permanently stays up as long as I use an associated skill to WereWolf/Bear. Build melts through mobs like no tomorrow and does quite well single target while remaining tanky.

A guy in my guild is playing a throwing knife rogue that does pretty well. Not an "archer", but ranged nonetheless. Really Rogue is just a class for getting vulnerable down on mobs and capitalizing on that application. Whatever way you choose to capitalize on vulnerability doesn't really matter that much while leveling.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2023-06-05 at 05:25 PM.

I heard Penetrating Shot rogue is very strong too.
    Some builds are better than others but if you really want you can make build around every skill you like. Everyone played TB rogue while I enjoyed Flurry much more and its also viable.
    Just don't force yourself into meta build mindset and you will have alot more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Maljinwo View Post
    Why are you trying to use meta builds
    e
    No one is allowed to play games anymore, have to watch 10 tier list videos first
    A better way to think about Casual v Hardcore: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...asual-Hardcore

10+ Year Old Account
    In D4 it seems there are no recommended builds that use ranged attacks
    Yet

Bruh the game's out like what 3 days? And we already had 3 of the top meta builds smashed to dust in a hotfix. I'll say it again - the meta field once we get to S1 will be very different from what you see now.