This sort of thing like the dam is on such a scale that it should call for formation of international coalition to shove Russia out of Ukraine finally.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    This sort of thing like the dam is on such a scale that it should call for formation of international coalition to shove Russia out of Ukraine finally.
    It won't. Because the #1 goal is to prevent a direct war between the West and Russia that could lead to nuclear escalation.

It might get Ukraine more support. But at no point does the West want to put soldiers in Ukraine in a position where they might have to shoot at Russians.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    It won't. Because the #1 goal is to prevent a direct war between the West and Russia that could lead to nuclear escalation.

It might get Ukraine more support. But at no point does the West want to put soldiers in Ukraine in a position where they might have to shoot at Russians.
    I know we won't do it but we SHOULD do it.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    It just more or less proves Russia can get away with anything of no real consequence. A few days again ironically someone asked if Russia would risk Hungary's wrath even incidentally, well this answers that basically (yes)
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    It just more or less proves Russia can get away with anything of no real consequence. A few days again ironically someone asked if Russia would risk Hungary's wrath even incidentally, well this answers that basically (yes)
    Because your consequence idea is basically 8 billion people on this planet turning into a few million. That's not a viable solution.

Pretty sure Russia is facing real consequences, both at home and in Ukraine...

Man. If Russia keeps threatening the integrity of that nuclear power plant, then I really don't mind if NATO decides to move in and secure it by any means necessary. That shit is a threat to the neightbouring countries as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I have no idea tbh. The Ukrainians probably took the credit so they could go neener neener at the Russians.

The Russians might have filled the reservoir to the brim on purpose before blowing up the dam to cause maximum flooding.
    God if this turns out that they overfilled the reservoir and the whole thing collapsed due to stupidity from it, since there was a note of damage happening to the dam in the last few days I genuinely wouldn't be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Because your consequence idea is basically 8 billion people on this planet turning into a few million. That's not a viable solution.
    it's like the other posters have said, sitting back and just "condemning" Russia isn't doing shit either.

And they know it too, so that's why they did something as frankly audacious and reckless as this.
    "Truth...justice, honor, freedom! Vain indulgences, every one(...) I know what I want, and I take it. I take advantage of whatever I can, and discard that which I cannot. There is no room for sentiment or guilt."

it's like the other posters have said, sitting back and just "condemning" Russia isn't doing shit either.

And they know it too, so that's why they did something as frankly audacious and reckless as this.
    Wait, is Russia's economy doing good now or something? Is the country doing well?

Not doing shit?
    I must have imagined Russia's army dying in Ukraine, their zombie economy, their international image shattered and China gobbling up their 'allies' in Central Asia.

Sure I wish we did more but the notion that Russia is not suffering consequences is plain ludicrous.

Every time it's something about Russia's economy suffering as a result. But the reality is Russia's economy is still, in fact, alive and resilient and not the North Korea everyone wants to believe it is. And that if people want to see these economical and social consequences like you all imply, that will be decades later assuming. But it isn't now where it may matter; what I mean by this is, like Japan, we may forgive and forget in decades time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    It's bizarre isn't it. How casual he is with this. Apocalyptic Fascination.

But...

Pretty sure Russia is facing real consequences, both at home and in Ukraine...
    I guess the question is: exactly who in Russia is facing real consequences. Relatives of those killed or injured, yep. Economic pinch, yep. But Putin / his immediate circle? Putin's a thug and a criminal. What's the cunt's endgame? Take his guesstimated $200bn wealth with him? I share others' pessimism, if not their relish of apocalyptic scenarios.

---

Please do something positive to help. If you live in the UK, please consider Homes For Ukraine. Ignore the government's half-arsed shit and head straight to charities / Local Councils / reputable Facebook groups etc. There are refugees who, for whatever reason, are feeling obliged to return to Ukraine for lack of an onwards path when this is clearly the wrong choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles
    If I weren't golfing in Thailand right now, where boys can still be boys and I assure you I'm far from impotent, I could link all the sources for you but head to facts4eu and educate yourself, they will have them for you. Too much Guardian is not good for you.
    the dark ages, those were probably the fault of Europe too

Quote Originally Posted by LeGin v3 View Post
    It's bizarre isn't it. How casual he is with this. Apocalyptic Fascination.

But...

I guess the question is: exactly who in Russia is facing real consequences. Relatives of those killed or injured, yep. Economic pinch, yep. But Putin / his immediate circle? Putin's a thug and a criminal. What's the cunt's endgame? Take his guesstimated $200bn wealth with him? I share others' pessimism, if not their relish of apocalyptic scenarios.
    Your amazing that a dictator, ruling a government that is specifically designed to insulate him from consequences is able to largely ignore consequences at the cost of his own people?

Outside of marching in and grabbing him ourselves what is there that the West could do against Putin personally that they are not doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Wait, is Russia's economy doing good now or something? Is the country doing well?
    Russia responded to sanctions by creating its own multinational economy between Russia, China, Iran, and now India. India is devouring Russian oil which really helps the Russian economy. Its really amazing considering India and China have been rivals for some time. Basically the US sanctions have caused China and India to ally with each other thru Russia. At this point, Russias economy is booming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZyt9GVuAqs
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Your amazing that a dictator, ruling a government that is specifically designed to insulate him from consequences is able to largely ignore consequences at the cost of his own people?

Outside of marching in and grabbing him ourselves what is there that the West could do against Putin personally that they are not doing?
    I didn't say there was anything else the West could do.

My question was: what real consequences (your words) it is that you think Putin, himself personally, is facing at the moment?

I do not want to get into an argument about this.

Again, please think about what you, personally, can do to help instead of typing angrily on some obscure gaming forum.
    If I weren't golfing in Thailand right now, where boys can still be boys and I assure you I'm far from impotent, I could link all the sources for you but head to facts4eu and educate yourself, they will have them for you. Too much Guardian is not good for you.
    the dark ages, those were probably the fault of Europe too

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    At this point, Russias economy is booming.
    Which is why Russia itself reported declining industrial output, with the overall economy shrinking 1.9% in the 1st quarter
    It's booming so much that Russian industries are calling on their labor department to enforce a 6 day workweek to help cope with the sanctions

Russia responded to sanctions by creating its own multinational economy between Russia, China, Iran, and now India. India is devouring Russian oil which really helps the Russian economy. Its really amazing considering India and China have been rivals for some time. Basically the US sanctions have caused China and India to ally with each other thru Russia. At this point, Russias economy is booming.

Is it really? Is that why they're not letting any western media into their "Russian Davos"? Or why their central bankers are warning of brain drains as Russians with skills flee the country?

https://www.reuters.com/markets/euro...ce-2023-05-17/

Is reporting a 2% YoY shrinkage in their economy for the first quarter "booming" under any definition?

Russia's economy is booming so well they hit the sort of budget deficit in two months to the year they had planned for whole year after which they promptly classified nearly every economic data the government usually had put out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man, I don't want to quote the guy to give him any more airtime, but it is exremely amusing to see the perpetuation of this "Holy Trinity" alliance between Russia, China and India. I mean, I literally wrote papers on why its complete garbage. Only in Russia's head could there possibly be a true alliance between these three nations, and of course in Russia's head it's all thanks to Russia! Just like how in China's head it's all thanks to China! Just like how in India's head they're both fucking authoritarian overlords who don't want fuckall to do with anyone else unless that "anyone else" is under their thumb.

Which is why any talk of an alliance between these nations is complete absurdity.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.