Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Diablo 4 causing hot GPU

Hey all,

I have an MSI GeForce RTX 2070 Gaming Z 8GB GPU. It seems Diablo 4 hits my graphics card quite hard. When I was on the character creation screen, my GPU was at 77C. While in theory this isn't a major issue, it's the only game I've had make my gpu this hot and in all honesty I'm not comfortable with it.

I'm using a 1440p 144Hz monitor.

Things I've tried to help lower the temps and load on my GPU:
    • Updated GPU drivers to latest.
    • Updated motherboards bios to latest (no idea if this would help but thought I'd better do it anyway).
    • Tried changing graphics options to low and medium (was set to high by default).
    • Limited foreground FPS to 144 and kept lowering it until I got to 60.
    • Fiddled with a bunch of different graphics settings (too many to name), changing them to medium or low.

I forgot to try setting my monitors resolution to 1080p, so I'll try that next time. Other than that though I'm not sure what else to try, so any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

Edit: If push comes to shove, I'm willing to replace my GPU with something like a 3060 ti (but would obviously rather not if I can avoid to).

Edit 2: Looking at 3060 ti's and I can get this for €370: ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3060 Ti OC Edition 8G GDDR6X
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2023-06-06 at 11:54 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    I'd give Blizzard some time to optimize the game a bit. My GPU so far hasn't had too much trouble with D4-- it's an old AMD 5700 XT-- which is from around the same time as the RTX 2070.

That said, a few things you could try is....

1. Try a monitor with a lower refresh rate. Although the game renders at 60 fps, the card is still sending frames to the monitor at 144Hz. I highly doubt this is the problem, though.
    2. Have you tried setting the FPS limit through Nvidia's software? (Is it still Control Panel?)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vincink View Post
    I'd give Blizzard some time to optimize the game a bit. My GPU so far hasn't had too much trouble with D4-- it's an old AMD 5700 XT-- which is from around the same time as the RTX 2070.

1. Try a monitor with a lower refresh rate. Although the game renders at 60 fps, the card is still sending frames to the monitor at 144Hz. I highly doubt this is the problem, though.
    2. Have you tried setting the FPS limit through Nvidia's software? (Is it still Control Panel?)
    I haven't tried setting the FPS limit in Nvidia Control Panel, so I will. Thanks for the suggestion.

After googling I stumbled upon this thread with someone with a RTX 2060 having the same issues as me, and he'd tried setting the FPS limit in Nvidia Control Panel, but with no avail:

https://eu.forums.blizzard.com/en/d4...-not-good/1307

I'm not gonna lie, after looking at reviews of the 3060 ti I linked in my first post, I'm tempted to just get that if the FPS limiting doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    Hey all,

I have an MSI GeForce RTX 2070 Gaming Z 8GB GPU. It seems Diablo 4 hits my graphics card quite hard. When I was on the character creation screen, my GPU was at 77C. While in theory this isn't a major issue, it's the only game I've had make my gpu this hot and in all honesty I'm not comfortable with it.

I'm using a 1440p 144Hz monitor.

Things I've tried to help lower the temps and load on my GPU:
    • Updated GPU drivers to latest.
    • Updated motherboards bios to latest (no idea if this would help but thought I'd better do it anyway).
    • Tried changing graphics options to low and medium (was set to high by default).
    • Limited foreground FPS to 144 and kept lowering it until I got to 60.
    • Fiddled with a bunch of different graphics settings (too many to name), changing them to medium or low.

I forgot to try setting my monitors resolution to 1080p, so I'll try that next time. Other than that though I'm not sure what else to try, so any advice is welcome.

Thanks!

Edit: If push comes to shove, I'm willing to replace my GPU with something like a 3060 ti (but would obviously rather not if I can avoid to).

Edit 2: Looking at 3060 ti's and I can get this for €370: ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3060 Ti OC Edition 8G GDDR6X
    It's Nvidia reflex, turn it off. It keeps the gpu pinned to lower latency. My case is open and I can hear my gpu racing, so I was lowering the fps until I found what reflex did.
    Still lowering the fps in the Nvidia panel is a good idea because my fps will jump in menus.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StillMcfuu View Post
    It's Nvidia reflex, turn it off. It keeps the gpu pinned to lower latency. My case is open and I can hear my gpu racing, so I was lowering the fps until I found what reflex did.
    Still lowering the fps in the Nvidia panel is a good idea because my fps will jump in menus.
    Ok I'll go try that now, thanks.

There's nothing wrong with running at GPU at 77 degrees for an entire gaming session. Even 85 is fine. GPUs get hot under load. It's a good sign because its showing you a game is actually optimized to utilize it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Neither FPS limiting or disabling Nvidia Reflex worked much for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Flame6 View Post
    There's nothing wrong with running at GPU at 77 degrees for an entire gaming session. Even 85 is fine. GPUs get hot under load. It's a good sign because its showing you a game is actually optimized to utilize it.
    That's fair. Not sure why it bothers me I guess I'm not used to many games pushing my GPU.

I decided to order that 3060 ti anyway. If it's any better, I will sell my 2070 on the second hand market.

But it's annoying if the fans get loud.

That's nice optimization from Blizzard

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    <snipped>
    77° is a perfectly fine operating temperature. If anything it's probably less a settings error, and more of an airflow issue. Take your side panel off and see what temp it hits under load.

15+ Year Old Account
    77c is not even hot for a GPU. 77c would be a bit hot for a CPU.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    77° is a perfectly fine operating temperature. If anything it's probably less a settings error, and more of an airflow issue. Take your side panel off and see what temp it hits under load.
    Okay well, I replaced my 2070 with a 3060 ti and that GPU seems to run less hot, by around 15 degrees less. While 77 might not be an issue, the fans going full speed sounding like a plane going down the runway was bothering me I'd already made a custom fan curve for it in Afterburner as well.

Anyway, the issue is in theory solved

Quote Originally Posted by vincink View Post

What's unoptimized in D4 engine?
    <16 GB VRAM and Ultra textures, seems that some unused textures are not getting cleared, but I doubt anyone will be able to play with Ultra textures with 8 GB VRAM anyways.
    Issue with DLSS3 frame generation not increasing FPS

I don't think there will be more optimization other than fixing these two issues.
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

Quote Originally Posted by max888 View Post
    That's nice optimization from Blizzard
    If it's visually up to date then yes. If it looks like a game from 2010 and almost makes your GPU melt, then no

If you are really concerned, you can undervolt or even easier a power limit on your gpu til you are comfortable with max temps

77c is 100% normal and not cause for alarm. you are overeacting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormwolf64 View Post
    If it's visually up to date then yes. If it looks like a game from 2010 and almost makes your GPU melt, then no
    Luckily D4 doesn't look like a game from 2010.

7+ Year Old Account
    clean your computer

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ssateneth View Post
    77c is 100% normal and not cause for alarm. you are overeacting.
    Idk. The sound the fans were making on the rtx 2070 didn't really sound healthy at all. Maybe I could have adjusted the fan curve more, but I'd not have felt comfortable with it.

I'm curious if there might have been a fault with my rtx 2070. I honestly cannot believe that it's normal it getting to those temps on the character creation screen, with fps limited to 60, settings on low, etc. The rtx 3060 ti I replaced it with was sitting at 10-15 degrees less at the same screen with the same settings.

Anyway, as I said previously it's not an issue anymore.

Edit: Also, other games with more intensive graphics didn't cause the 2070 any issue, d4 was literally the first game to make the card sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by Julmara View Post
    clean your computer
    Not the issue at all, but thanks.
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2023-06-20 at 04:58 AM.

1+ Year Old Account
    Lol. Temp dropped by a huge amount once I removed the left side of the case, exposing the motherboard to air.

So poor air circulation was indeed the cause.
    Last edited by Cynical Asshole; 2023-06-21 at 06:19 AM.