Page 1 of 2
LastLast

"Monitor going to sleep"

Hey all, I recently got a new PC, I have set up everything, the video cable is in the monitor and such. Every time I boot the PC the monitor displays a message "monitor going to sleep." Please note that this monitor did not come with the PC i've had it for a while. Also the PC makes a beep sound after switching it on

The monitor is a 20" HP 2009v

The PC is an advent centurion cbe1401

All help is appreciated!

15+ Year Old Account
    The beep sound is normal. That's the motherboard notifying you that the computer passed POST (Power-On Self Test).

Your monitor does eventually respond during boot, correct? If so, the sleep message is probably from a delay in signal from your GPU to your monitor. I often don't see my POST/BIOS information on boot. When I power both my computer and monitor on at the same time, my monitor displays a yellow power indicator (sleep mode) for a few seconds before waking up (usually right as my system hits OS selection).

Like Cilraaz asked; does it work once some time has passed, or is it continually black?

My screen also displays "no signal" just after I start the computer, before the graphics card starts sending information. Although, my motherboard doesn't beep during startup. O.o

I too purchased the same pc and am suffering from the same issue. I connected my old monitor and upon powering up the system my monitor says 'no signal' then goes to sleep. I would be very greatful for any help resolving this

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nornai View Post
    Although, my motherboard doesn't beep during startup. O.o
    Some do, some don't. The newer motherboards typically have a BIOS that will give you a visual error message. Old motherboards forced you to rely on beep codes. Since the beep codes are slowly losing usefulness, some motherboard manufacturers aren't always putting a PC Speaker on the boards.

I think the problem is that I'm using a PC that doesn't support VGA video cables... I ordered a new cable which is VGA on one end and DVI on the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamima View Post
    I have set up everything, the video cable is in the monitor and such.
    Your last post said you had everything hooked up...if your computer only has VGA but your monitor accepts DVI how did you hook them up? I see you purchased a VGA to DVI now. I am a bit lost......

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nas101 View Post
    Your last post said you had everything hooked up...if your computer only has VGA but your monitor accepts DVI how did you hook them up? I see you purchased a VGA to DVI now. I am a bit lost......
    I agree. If your monitor has a DVI connector, it wouldn't even plug into your computer if your video card didn't support DVI.

I was putting the cable in the wrong socket, yeh I dont know much haha

I was putting the cable in the wrong socket, yeh I dont know much haha
    No offense... but back away from the computer and just use the power button and the keyboard/mouse - jking. The ports are color'ed and now are all different size/shapes. You want to be careful plugging items in so you don't bend/break a pin....

DVI - White
    VGA - Blue

DVI - White
    VGA - Blue
    not even mentioning the difference in size....

can you make a photo and post it....id really like to see this one lol

OK I bought a VGA/DVI adaptor and my PC has now been working for a couple days... but now its giving me the "monitor going to sleep" message again. This is real frustrating i'm back at step 1 again.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    Your monitor does eventually respond during boot, correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nornai View Post
    Like Cilraaz asked; does it work once some time has passed, or is it continually black
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    I agree. If your monitor has a DVI connector, it wouldn't even plug into your computer if your video card didn't support DVI.
    You haven't really answered any of the questions from people trying to help you. Nor have you described your issue fully. I'm not sure how we're supposed to help at this point.

Sorry for not responding im not really checking this often enough, I'll describe my issue fully.

Anyway I've got my screen up and working again, but the resolution has been messed up and its not letting me restore it to its recommended resolution (1600x900). Also after logging into windows I get a message saying there is no driver or something like that... I've tried connecting my PC to my TV via HDMI cable and it works fine.

If it helps my graphics card is an ATI radeon HD 5700

Also after logging into windows I get a message saying there is no driver or something like that...
    If it helps my graphics card is an ATI radeon HD 5700
    A few tips - When asking for support its best to write down / remember the error fully. The above statement would lead me to believe that you are not using the correct video driver that would support your card OR they are not updated. If windows sees an error I would do the following:

1. Verify that your using the correct cables - from your posts your connection should be VGA ( from the back of your computer ) to the DVI port on your monitor. I don't know if your using an inline cable IE direct VGA to DVI or a "Y" cable, VGA to DVI AND VGA, not that it matters just make sure your plugging everything in gently, verifying your not bending any pins.

2. Boot your system and download the latest drives from ati - http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx - that is the US website check for your local area.

2. Restart the computer and go into "Safe mode"

3. Remove your "old/current drivers" - Add remove programs

4. Install your "new" downloaded drives for your card.

5. Reboot your system

6. While your at it, make sure to run all windows updates and any other system updates.

7. Reboot the system again - and you should be ok.

I googled your system but got a lot of diffrent types of system configs. We really dont know anything about your computer hardware. Take note of all your system hardware when making a support thread as the sticky's say.

* The one thing I just noticed is that you said "I've tried connecting my PC to my TV via HDMI cable and it works fine." How does your system have VGA and HDMI but no DVI? I am not a ATI guy so I looked up "ATI radeon HD 5700" and they have the 5770/5750/5730 and they all have DVI*

Still lost..... sorry its the best I could do with little information.

15+ Year Old Account
    1. A Radeon 5700 series card has no need for a DVI-to-VGA adapter. All of them support DVI. Remove the adapter and plug your monitor directly into one of the available DVI ports.
    2. Get the full error message. Your problem is impossible to troubleshoot otherwise.

OK I am no longer getting any error message at launch, most likely because I have installed the latest driver for my grpahics card (ati radeon hd 5750). But my monitor goes black after certain amount of time and goes to sleep shortly afterwards, usually whilst playing games, I am unable to wake up the monitor for a long while. I have taken a few pics to help give a better understanding.

My PC:

The rear port of my monitor (as you can see it is VGA, my monitor has no DVI ports atall):

The video slots in the back of my tower (The VGA/DVI adaptor is used here, there is no VGA port)

Close up of the adaptor:

Hope it helps thank you

15+ Year Old Account
    The VGA-to-DVI adapter makes sense now. Sorry for the misunderstanding regarding that. I'm not certain what might cause the random sleeping. Check your power settings under Control Panel. If possible, set it to "Always On". See if that makes any difference.

I have set my power settings so that my monitor never goes to sleep but that seems to make no difference

It sounds like one of several issues.

1 your GPU is not seated properly
    2 your GPU is not getting enough power
    3 your GPU is overheating
    4 your 15pin / VGA cable is faulty

Check 1&4 first, then 3 by looking at what Catalyst tells you the heat of your GPU is.
    Then proceed to 2 by checking the recommended PSU (power supply).

---

The beep is a POST like what was said earlier. Generally if it beeps say 8 times then I believe that the GPU definitely isn't inserted properly.
    http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

My first guess would be that it's losing power, as you haven't said whether it displays artifacts. Second would be overheating.

Also try to make sure that the GPU doesn't go into power saving mode and not just the monitor.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|