Level 85 Healing Spec 55/21/0

So I'm new to being a priest, well kind of.

***** Feel free to skip this section if you don't care how I got to where I am today. *****

I Started leveling a priest in Vanilla but was shadow all the way to 60 and stopped playing it since my Rogue was far better geared. (I leveled them at the same time shortly after leveling a Mage.)
    In BC I leveled to 67 on the Priest also as shadow and to 4 on my Mage. Went back to the Rogue and stuck with him throughout the rest of the expansion. WotLK came out and I went straight for a DK. Hit 80 and stuck with him until about 2 weeks before ICC was released. I then switched back to my Mage and up until 2 days ago never touched any other characters. I decided to start playing my Priest again and am enjoying it but this time I decided to play as a healer. So that's my background as a Priest.

********************** OK now to the fun stuff. **********************

I've enjoyed healing so far and then remembered that I had seen the Cataclysm trees posted and came up with this.

http://www.wowtal.com/#k=dIur1YeNXocoaB.9dw.priest

Any thoughts?

Keep in mind that I'm a 2 day old healer and we don't know the exact mechanics of Cataclysm's encounters.

I wouldn't bother with Reflective Shield, since it only reflects damage you take; Focused Power is a better use of those points. I do think there's some interesting talent choices in the fifth tier of Holy, but I'm undecided as to which ones to take. I suspect Deliverence will probably include more than just Flash Heal buffing Greater Heal, possibly including Heal in there somehow, because otherwise the mechanic seems like it's a little outdated with the new healing paradigm. So I think that might be a talent worth aiming for though, of course, the 5% Spirit on SoR is also attractive. It's hard to know to value those sorts of talents without knowing their final mechanics and where the state of mana regen ends up.

ETA: Neglected to mention that Focused Will is now a pure PVP talent, so it shouldn't be in your build either, that's where you can get the points to get Deliverence.
    Last edited by Zeuq; 2010-06-18 at 07:40 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Didn´t check your spec, but just looking at numbers you can remove 4 points from disc and place in holy allready - means you got 4 points in pvp talents you won´t need - at least not for pve. With Holy you can get down to Sor or spread over the two talents with added healing / lower mana costs if you want those more.

Ofc. remember its only first preview so alot can change until release.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuq View Post
    I wouldn't bother with Reflective Shield, since it only reflects damage you take; Focused Power is a better use of those points. I do think there's some interesting talent choices in the fifth tier of Holy, but I'm undecided as to which ones to take. I suspect Deliverence will probably include more than just Flash Heal buffing Greater Heal, possibly including Heal in there somehow, because otherwise the mechanic seems like it's a little outdated with the new healing paradigm. So I think that might be a talent worth aiming for though, of course, the 5% Spirit on SoR is also attractive. It's hard to know to value those sorts of talents without knowing their final mechanics and where the state of mana regen ends up.
    I was going back and forth with the points in reflective shield. Focused power was changed and only effects the cast times of Mind Control and Mass Dispel now. If anything I would think Martyrdom would be a slightly better choice if more encounters have more interrupts. Imp mana burn and Unbreakable will still seem useless as a healer for me so that is why I went with Reflective Shield.

---------- Post added 06-18-2010 at 07:48 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mandible View Post
    Didn´t check your spec, but just looking at numbers you can remove 4 points from disc and place in holy allready - means you got 4 points in pvp talents you won´t need - at least not for pve. With Holy you can get down to Sor or spread over the two talents with added healing / lower mana costs if you want those more.

Ofc. remember its only first preview so alot can change until release.
    Can you actually look at the tree and be a little more specific please? A lot of things changed and again I'm new to healing so I don't know the trees that well.

Near instant MD is a very valuable, albeit, situational tool, so I do not understand why you would take reflective shield over it. As said before, Focused Will is not PvP only, so that frees up 3 talents.

I'd either go with:
    http://www.wowtal.com/#k=dIuN7qxiKHkMb7.9dw.priest
    or
    http://www.wowtal.com/#k=dIuN73GBuq1gNX.9dw.priest

The only difference being on how you use smite. With the first being used as a boost to Penance and mana efficiency and the second using smite spam to heal when I do not have to be as focused.

It's too early to come up with any decent builds. Most talent trees have been stripped down to such an extent that you're forced to take junk talents just to get down the tree. So I'd expect quite a bit of changes to amend that issue. Otherwise we're just going to be back to vanilla talents where we have to waste 10+ talents with no gain.

Very quickly, I punched this up:

http://www.wowtal.com/#k=9ExShsRdAttcU.9dw.priest

There are filler points you have to grab as you climb the disc tree, like focused power. It's not extremely useful, but the mass dispel cast time reduction is decent. Quite honestly, you can play with a few talents, such as another point in Imp Flash Heal by taking a point from Aspiration, based on your mana needs and the requirements of a fight.

Over on the holy side, it's really a no brainer to get Spirit of Redemption, but I like the cast time reduction of Deliverance, and I don't know why i haven't seen more builds with it. I stole a point from Holy Focus to finish Improved Renew because I love my instant cast spells and if Pennance is already instant, PW:S is too, you could argue that HF is really unnecessary when you have borrowed time, deliverance and Archangel. HF would then only affect your HEAL spells (FH, H, GH depending how they change the spells.) At that point, it might even be more beneficial for your OH SH!T moments to take desperate prayer and ignore HF. These are my preliminary thoughts and I really fell i get all i want with this build...