Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    Also, if possible, I'd look to off-load the pagefile to a normal hard drive. I'm not sure if this is still sound advice. I have yet to get an SSD, so I haven't fully checked the latest "must do's". I know this was originally a suggestion based on the SSDs having a limited number of writes per sector.
    There's actually pretty technical blog somewhere in msdn regarding memory management in vista/win7 in general, about the new features (superfetch, readyboost etc). It was pretty clear in having pagefile also on SSD because in most cases it's still 100:1 ratio of reads/writes and therefore suits perfectly on SSD. And this recommendation was before TRIM command.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2010-06-23 at 10:03 PM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

a lot of folks are seeing better performance by just partitioning 10% of their ssd to unused space, vs trim. This is very effective for ssd's in raid 0 since trim command does not pass through.
    2x Intel Xeon 5680 12 Cores (2x6 Cores)@ 5.0ghz.* EVGA Classified SR-2 Motherboard.*Kingston Hyper-X 48gb(12x4gb) DDR3 1600.* 3x OCZ Colossus SSD 1.5gb (3x500gb) Raid 0.* 2x Enermax 1250W PSU. 4x EVGA GTX 480 Quad-SLI.* Samsung F3 1TB Storage Drive.* Custom Watercooled (EK 2xCPU/4xGPU Blocks, 2xMCP655 Pumps, 3xXSPC Dual Bay Reservoirs, 3x480 GTX Radiators, 24x Scythe GentleTyphoon AP15 Fans in Push/Pull).* 3x Dell 3008wfp 30" IPS Monitors.* ASUS Xonar D2X 7.1 PCIe

Case + Memory - Antec 900 and 4GB G.Skill Ripjaw$207
    HDD + PSU - Corsair 650W and Samsung F3 1TB $140
    CPU + mobo - Phenom 955 and Gigabyte 880GA$255
    GPU - XFX Radeon 5850 $285
    DVD Burner - Generic samsung $20

Total price = 900 dollars and it's better than most computers you listed in the original post.

Edit: By the way, I highly recommend agaist SSDs if you're buying a computer to game on. Also, Cooler Master hyper 212+ are equal or even better than the dark knight and it only costs ~30 dollars.
    Last edited by Nixia; 2010-06-24 at 03:20 PM.

Hello guys, it's time to change my ooold centrino T2050/GeForce GO7600 (yes, it's a laptop) with something new, and i need a few suggestions about a PSU. This is the configuration i have in mind atm:

Case: Fractal Design Define R2 (good ventilation and silent, it will be in my bedroom and with not much open space around it, that's why i'd choose something fresh and silent)
    CPU: Intel i5-750 (seems good for it's price)
    Mobo: there's a ton of slightly different versions, just have to check what i need and what i don't
    GPU: Sapphire Radeon 5750/5770 1Gb (Vapor-X version, for the same silent/cooling reason)
    PSU: ???
    HSF: Cooler Master Hyper 212 (or a Scythe Mugen2 but it's 20 more € and seems similar)
    RAM: 2x2Gb Kingston DDR3/1333
    HDD: WD Caviar Black 640Gb
    DVD: random LG DVD burner
    Monitor: 20" LCD (it will be close enough to make something bigger simply too big, 1680x1050 is ok for me)

What i'd like to know is how much power i need for my PSU, considering that i don't plan to add much, maybe a second HDD or a SSD with time. No printer, no pretty leds, useless fans, usb fridges and so on.

If you have other suggestion feel free to help, i'll appreciate for sure (budget is no more than 1k €, with what i posted i'm at 830 without PSU and Mobo, monitor included).
    "Seeping crest of turbidity, arrogant vessel of lunacy.
    Boil forth and deny, grow numb and flicker, disrupting sleep.
    Crawling queen of iron, eternally self-destructing doll of mud.
    Unite, repulse. Fill with soil and know your own powerlessness."

Primera - Elemental Shaman - <Vedo La Gente Morta> - Pozzo dell'Eternità IT

Go http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp to calculate you psu, I prefer Seasonic or Corsair, depends on wich specific model.

Thanks a lot, i'll play with that link a bit ^^
    "Seeping crest of turbidity, arrogant vessel of lunacy.
    Boil forth and deny, grow numb and flicker, disrupting sleep.
    Crawling queen of iron, eternally self-destructing doll of mud.
    Unite, repulse. Fill with soil and know your own powerlessness."

Primera - Elemental Shaman - <Vedo La Gente Morta> - Pozzo dell'Eternità IT

Shornaal you won't need a very powerful PSU for that setup. The video card draws ~100W and the CPU draws ~100W and the rest of the components won't even draw 100W. You would be fine with a 350W PSU but I still suggest you to get at least the Corsair 550W because they are very reliable, has excellent quality, good warranty and are silent. If you go with the 550W you'll also have room for future expansion.

On that range I would go for a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151094, its a brilliant psu, amazing efficiency at basicaly any load level, awesome ripple control.
    The corsair vx550 its a CWT PSH, they are good but on this one the seasonic i referred is a bit better, the hx520 its a seasonic s12, again the seasonic s12II i referred is better.

review http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php...Story&reid=185
    Last edited by Enola; 2010-06-25 at 01:23 AM.

cilraz, if I want dual displays should I go dual video cards?

something like the $1000 build with a crossfire mobo and 2x gpu?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by awebz View Post
    cilraz, if I want dual displays should I go dual video cards?

something like the $1000 build with a crossfire mobo and 2x gpu?
    Dual monitor doesn't require a dual GPU setup. For the vast majority of activities, a single decent card (Radeon 5770/nVidia GTX 260, or better) will support dual monitors without a problem.

Dual monitor doesn't require a dual GPU setup. For the vast majority of activities, a single decent card (Radeon 5770/nVidia GTX 260, or better) will support dual monitors without a problem.
    I'm talking ultra wow at 1900x1200 and a second display with music apps, browsers with video feeds etc.

everyone else I talk to says run 2 gpu with sli/crossfire

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm talking ultra wow at 1900x1200 and a second display with music apps, browsers with video feeds etc.

As a point of reference, Ultra WoW at 1920x1080 uses about 40-60% of my GPU with a Radeon 5770. I highly doubt a secondary monitor setup would use the rest.

As a point of reference, Ultra WoW at 1920x1080 uses about 40-60% of my GPU with a Radeon 5770. I highly doubt a secondary monitor setup would use the rest.
    what about your cpu?

I have one Radeon4850, primary monitor running WoW on ultra settings at 1920x1080 size, and getting roughly 20fps in 25-man raids, 50-60fps if I turn shadows off. Secondary monitor is 1680x1050 and I have usually vent/ts, firefox, msn, youtube and some other shit on while playing. All this is on 2.8GHz x3 PhenomII. So no, you really do not need that good graphics card for it.

Also, WoW don't support SLI/CrossFire in any way, so it's completely pointless and 'everyone else' you talk to don't know shit about hardware.

If you're considering running WoW or other games in extended display spanning 2-3 big monitors getting high performance graphics card is starting to make more sense, but still SLI/CrossFire will do absolutely nothing.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    I have one Radeon4850, primary monitor running WoW on ultra settings at 1920x1080 size, and getting roughly 20fps in 25-man raids, 50-60fps if I turn shadows off. Secondary monitor is 1680x1050 and I have usually vent/ts, firefox, msn, youtube and some other shit on while playing. All this is on 2.8GHz x3 PhenomII. So no, you really do not need that good graphics card for it.

Also, WoW don't support SLI/CrossFire in any way, so it's completely pointless and 'everyone else' you talk to don't know shit about hardware.

If you're considering running WoW or other games in extended display spanning 2-3 big monitors getting high performance graphics card is starting to make more sense, but still SLI/CrossFire will do absolutely nothing.
    Let me put my question this way.
    What will the 1000$build NOT do?
    For what reasons would the 1000$build not suit me and I would need something more high-end graphics-wise?

It will fall short in the most demanding games dx11 tesselation at good resolutions, mainly a graphics card problem, so the easyer fix would be either another 5770 in cross fire, although useless for wow the performance its very good (http://www.legionhardware.com/articl...hd_5850,1.html), closer upgrades 5850, 4770 and up, any way in the games were it will fall short it will be mainly a graphics card problem, so thats the thing to upgrade.

Let me put my question this way.
    What will the 1000$build NOT do?
    For what reasons would the 1000$build not suit me and I would need something more high-end graphics-wise?
    $1000 build runs WoW well today. Don't really need better for 1920x1080 monitor. Its shortcomings are on games that need more graphics power or if you use bigger monitor/span games over 2-3 monitors. In DX11 games you can't turn all video options to max anymore and it will only get worse in year or two with new 3d titles.

Also the exact specs of Cataclysm are still a mystery and there's no way to know for sure if the $1000 build can run Cataclysm on 'ultra' anymore. But it probably will.
    Trolling should be.

15+ Year Old Account
    what about your cpu?
    I run an i5 750 at 3.8GHz, though that's not relevant to whether or not to use SLI/CrossFire for a dual monitor setup.

Cilraaz,
    have you ran 3dMark benchtest on your system and if not could you please do that and post the results here?

Thanks

15+ Year Old Account
    I really like this sticky and the chart. It has helped me know what I'm getting for the money.

I am about to buy a machine from ibuypower and my major concern is why is it so cheap. All the builds from ibuypower are cheaper than the stuff you have included in the chart. It goes against logic here a little bit that it would be cheaper to have someone ship you a completed custom build pc, rather than assemble it yourself. Where are they skimping? I have heard nothing but good things about ibuypower from here and from RL friends. Is new egg ripping us off? Someone please explain this curiosity to me.....

edit
    i was wrong
    Last edited by cyan421; 2010-09-13 at 06:17 PM.