10+ Year Old Account

Question SSD and Mobo/Ram OCing

Buyin a 64g SSD. Planning to put WoW, SC2, Windows Home Premium, and iTunes on it. Windows is 16g if I remember, WoW I'm guessing is another 16g, SC2 is maybe 6 or so, and itunes for the rest. Think this is enough? Been hearin things how SSD fills up very quickly compared to a regular HDD or is that just BS? I'm guessin it's BS, just want to put my mind at ease.

My main question is about Mobo and RAM. My MOBO is GIGABYTE GA-890XA-UD3 AM3 AMD 790X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard and I'm usin some DDR3 RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) I know enough about CPU, PSU, GPU, but I am completely lost on what you would look for in a Mobo and RAM. All I know about RAM is DDR3 is best for OCing, 3 thread is useless since I'm not getting an 17, and that 4g is decent. For MOBO I have no idea, this looked cheap and was an AMD Mobo.

My CPU is Phenom II x4 955 (C3 Stepping), my PSU is 650W, 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6gb/s 3.5, a CPU cooler, and my GPU is a 5850. Playing on a 2ms 1980 - 1080 monitor.
    Last edited by Kurdiern; 2010-07-07 at 03:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurdiern View Post
    Buyin a 64g SSD. Planning to put WoW, SC2, Windows Home Premium, and iTunes on it. Windows is 16g if I remember, WoW I'm guessing is another 16g, SC2 is maybe 6 or so, and itunes for the rest. Think this is enough? Been hearin things how SSD fills up very quickly compared to a regular HDD or is that just BS? I'm guessin it's BS, just want to put my mind at ease.

My main question is about Mobo and RAM. My MOBO is GIGABYTE GA-890XA-UD3 AM3 AMD 790X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard and I'm usin some DDR3 RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) I know enough about CPU, PSU, GPU, but I am completely lost on what you would look for in a Mobo and RAM. All I know about RAM is DDR3 is best for OCing, 3 thread is useless since I'm not getting an 17, and that 4g is decent. For MOBO I have no idea, this looked cheap and was an AMD Mobo.

My CPU is Phenom II x4 955 (C3 Stepping), my PSU is 650W, 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6gb/s 3.5, a CPU cooler, and my GPU is a 5850.
    buy a 2nd, do raid 0, and partition out 10% :d

in reality, move your pagefile to your other disk, and disable hibernate functions.
    2x Intel Xeon 5680 12 Cores (2x6 Cores)@ 5.0ghz.* EVGA Classified SR-2 Motherboard.*Kingston Hyper-X 48gb(12x4gb) DDR3 1600.* 3x OCZ Colossus SSD 1.5gb (3x500gb) Raid 0.* 2x Enermax 1250W PSU. 4x EVGA GTX 480 Quad-SLI.* Samsung F3 1TB Storage Drive.* Custom Watercooled (EK 2xCPU/4xGPU Blocks, 2xMCP655 Pumps, 3xXSPC Dual Bay Reservoirs, 3x480 GTX Radiators, 24x Scythe GentleTyphoon AP15 Fans in Push/Pull).* 3x Dell 3008wfp 30" IPS Monitors.* ASUS Xonar D2X 7.1 PCIe

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiran View Post
    buy a 2nd, do raid 0, and partition out 10% :d

in reality, move your pagefile to your other disk, and disable hibernate functions.
    Buy a second HDD instead of SDD? Is there any benefit of raid over a SSD? An SDD with my neccesary stuff seems very attractive, 2TB of space seems a bit overkill when I can have 1TB with crap and a superfast drive with important crap.

Also, can you put that second sentence in laymans terms please =P?

Buy a second HDD instead of SDD? Is there any benefit of raid over a SSD? An SDD with my neccesary stuff seems very attractive, 2TB of space seems a bit overkill when I can have 1TB with crap and a superfast drive with important crap.

Also, can you put that second sentence in laymans terms please =P?
    no i said buy a second ssd, and go raid 0, partition out 10%.

I was joking though. where the performance kicks ass, itll be expensive.

I'd never recommend a magnetic drive over an ssd for apps/os.
    2x Intel Xeon 5680 12 Cores (2x6 Cores)@ 5.0ghz.* EVGA Classified SR-2 Motherboard.*Kingston Hyper-X 48gb(12x4gb) DDR3 1600.* 3x OCZ Colossus SSD 1.5gb (3x500gb) Raid 0.* 2x Enermax 1250W PSU. 4x EVGA GTX 480 Quad-SLI.* Samsung F3 1TB Storage Drive.* Custom Watercooled (EK 2xCPU/4xGPU Blocks, 2xMCP655 Pumps, 3xXSPC Dual Bay Reservoirs, 3x480 GTX Radiators, 24x Scythe GentleTyphoon AP15 Fans in Push/Pull).* 3x Dell 3008wfp 30" IPS Monitors.* ASUS Xonar D2X 7.1 PCIe

10+ Year Old Account
    no i said buy a second ssd, and go raid 0, partition out 10%.

I was joking though. where the performance kicks ass, itll be expensive.

I'd never recommend a magnetic drive over an ssd for apps/os.
    Ahhhh gotcha. Yeah, I don't think I have enough for that...Way too expensive to get the amount of memory I would want lol. Also what is the pagefile? I've read that hibernation is a waste of space but I haven't heard of this pagefile.

Also if anyone can offer opinion on my RAM/MOBO I would wuv u!

Microsoft engineers recommend keeping pagefile on SSD because it's still mostly reads instead of writes and will benefit greatly from the random read speeds.

Also what is the pagefile? I've read that hibernation is a waste of space but I haven't heard of this pagefile.
    pagefile = virtual memory on disc
    hibernate = saving all memory to disc and put computer to sleep for fast start

Hibernate is different from suspend which is what laptops do when they turn off everything else except memory for 1-2 second start times when you open the lid again.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2010-07-07 at 08:41 AM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Microsoft engineers recommend keeping pagefile on SSD because it's still mostly reads instead of writes and will benefit greatly from the random read speeds.

pagefile = virtual memory on disc
    hibernate = saving all memory to disc and put computer to sleep for fast start

Hibernate is different from suspend which is what laptops do when they turn off everything else except memory for 1-2 second start times when you open the lid again.
    You know, the pagefile issue is in major debate. Lots of tests say keep it on the ssd, and a lot say do not. I can see validity in both arguements.

I've also disproved a lot of microsoft engineers when doing custom crm development too, so I don't put a whole lot of stock in the advice they give for their $300/hr bill rates . But I can also see their point with this one too.

You know, the pagefile issue is in major debate. Lots of tests say keep it on the ssd, and a lot say do not. I can see validity in both arguements.
    From Windows 7 beta Engineering blog related to SSD performance and optimizations

Should the pagefile be placed on SSDs?

Yes. Most pagefile operations are small random reads or larger sequential writes, both of which are types of operations that SSDs handle well.

In looking at telemetry data from thousands of traces and focusing on pagefile reads and writes, we find that

* Pagefile.sys reads outnumber pagefile.sys writes by about 40 to 1,
    * Pagefile.sys read sizes are typically quite small, with 67% less than or equal to 4 KB, and 88% less than 16 KB.
    * Pagefile.sys writes are relatively large, with 62% greater than or equal to 128 KB and 45% being exactly 1 MB in size.

In fact, given typical pagefile reference patterns and the favorable performance characteristics SSDs have on those patterns, there are few files better than the pagefile to place on an SSD.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

and what im saying is, I've worked with ms engineers on numerous occasions, and have been able to prove them wrong. But their points are somewhat valid with this arguement.

It's a very expensive way of not really getting any real world performance increase. If you're into benchmarking then you'll have good bragging rights, just don't expect to see WoW run any better or you'll be disappointed.

Wow runs great on a SSD drive. Make sure you get a quality drive like Intel or equivalent. Loading screens are gone and lockups will take a minute max from your raid times. I keep my page file on SSD as it pulls data from the page file a lot faster than you can from mechanical drive. Putting 2 drives together in a raid 0 would basically give you a 128 GB drive. Thus everything would be on the same partition and you would not have to look around for data. I personally would not put music on a SSD drive unless you are not going to listen to that music on your computer instead of your mp3 player. Regarding mobo/cpu/ram, wow is not very intensive on any of these. 4GB of ddr2 is fine, let alone dd3 as well as any core2duo or amd equivelant.

SSD is pretty nice quality of life improvement for significantly faster boot time as well as faster loading of the most-used programs like WoW
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Regarding mobo/cpu/ram, wow is not very intensive on any of these.
    Hm, I must have missed something thinking that WoW is very CPU dependent. If it's not dependent on the mobo, cpu or ram, what is it dependent on? o.0

...any core2duo or amd equivalent?...

k.

10+ Year Old Account
    AIght, thanks for teh reassurance. I'll probably swap my itunes with firefox and put that on ma SSD instead. I was just checkin the ram/mobo since WoW is more CPU/RAM than it is GPU and I wanted to make sure it all worked out.