Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I have an I7-930 @ 4.0ghz with noctua dh14 it stays around 72 under stress test idles around 42 degrees.
    Give or take due to ambient temps and its been 100 degrees everyday for like a month now FML.

---------- Post added 2010-07-30 at 12:25 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by pangeltveit View Post
    So a LGA1366 i7 930 with an H50 with 2 fans in push/pull can safely overclock to? (planning on buying)

Also considering the I7 960, so what can that overclock to with same cooler? ^^
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the 930 and 960 are the same chip I wouldn't waste the extra money on the 960 assuming I'm correct.

it is the same chip only difference is the 930 has less pipelines, thats what makes the difference in ghz

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by biggredd View Post
    it is the same chip only difference is the 930 has less pipelines, thats what makes the difference in ghz
    The difference in speed between the 930 and 960 is the multiplier (21x for 930, 24x for the 960), not pipelines.

pangeltveit, Dethh was right when they said the 930 and 960 are essentially the same chip. If you're going to overclock, it's a waste of money to get the 960.

yeah meant multiplier was thinkin pipelines cause that is gpu and could not remember multiplier but they are the same thing anyways

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    The difference in speed between the 930 and 960 is the multiplier (21x for 930, 24x for the 960), not pipelines.

pangeltveit, Dethh was right when they said the 930 and 960 are essentially the same chip. If you're going to overclock, it's a waste of money to get the 960.
    Allright, going with the i7 930 .

planning on spending about 1200-1400 euro on upgrading my system when i get my salery from the summer job.
    a computer that I can be certain will be upgradable in the years to come (LGA1366, USB 3.0, Sata-600, DDR3-2000Mhz+ etc ^^ )

Right now ive written down;
    New Case: In-Win IronClad Big Tower, black
    New MoBo: ASUS P6X58D Premium, X58, Socket-1366, DDR3 ...
    New CPU: Intel Core™ i7 Quad Processor i7-930 Quad Core, 2.8Ghz, Socket 1366, 8MB, 130W, Boxed w/fan
    New CPU Cooler: Corsair H50 Hydro Series CPU cooler Socket 775/1156/1366, AM2/AM2+/AM3, 1700 RPM, 120mm fan
    New Memory: Corsair XMS3 DDR3 2000MHz 6GB CL9 Kit w/3x 2GB XMS3 modules, CL9-9-9-24, for Core i7, 1.65V
    New Extra fan for H50: Akasa Viper 120mm fan 120x 120 x 25mm, 600~1900 RPM, 83.63 CFM, 6.9~28.9 dBA, PWM, 4-pin

Old PSU: Corsair 650TX
    Old GPU: MSI Radeon HD5970 2gb
    Old Hdd: seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.11 Rpm
    Old DVD-RW Drive: LG DVD burner, black
    Been researching alot, planning on overclocking the I7 930 to 4Ghz++ and maybe the GPU a bit,
    Do i need a new PSU? been calculating and I got up to 523Watts.

HEH. Got my computer back from repair, someone might remember the thread from week or two back. Computer crashed again, this time few hours after startup. Checked temperatures and noticed my PROCESSOR CORES RUNNING AT 96 CELSIUS?! Heat sink must have been installed so poorly >< have to check it

EDIT: Heat sink was fucking horribly installed. Removed it and placed it in again, temps dropped by 20 degrees but there is still something wrong. 75 Celsius processor core temps are not normal :<
    Last edited by Taistelumestari Viiksi; 2010-07-30 at 08:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    I have a black belt in common sense compared to your white.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taistelumestari Viiksi View Post
    HEH. Got my computer back from repair, someone might remember the thread from week or two back. Computer crashed again, this time few hours after startup. Checked temperatures and noticed my PROCESSOR CORES RUNNING AT 96 CELSIUS?! Heat sink must have been installed so poorly >< have to check it

EDIT: Heat sink was fucking horribly installed. Removed it and placed it in again, temps dropped by 20 degrees but there is still something wrong. 75 Celsius processor core temps are not normal :<
    A CPU running at 96*C is likely to have sustained damage from those temps. Modern CPUs aren't made to run that high. The tCase max on most modern CPUs are from the range of 60*C to 75*C (lower end typically AMD, higher end typically Intel). If you figure that the cores themselves are going to run about 10*C higher, you're safe up to 70-85*C. So 96*C is quite a bit above safe ranges. If I remember right, your system is an i7 920? The tCase is 67.9*C on that CPU, or around 78*C at the cores.

I'm not sure that the company you bought your computer from should be in the computer business, given your story. A mistake once, ok. Multiple times (and candy wrappers in a customer's equipment), not ok.

A CPU running at 96*C is likely to have sustained damage from those temps. Modern CPUs aren't made to run that high. The tCase max on most modern CPUs are from the range of 60*C to 75*C (lower end typically AMD, higher end typically Intel). If you figure that the cores themselves are going to run about 10*C higher, you're safe up to 70-85*C. So 96*C is quite a bit above safe ranges. If I remember right, your system is an i7 920? The tCase is 67.9*C on that CPU, or around 78*C at the cores.

I'm not sure that the company you bought your computer from should be in the computer business, given your story. A mistake once, ok. Multiple times (and candy wrappers in a customer's equipment), not ok.
    My processor on this computer is Intel Q9300 @ 2.5GHz
    Edit: + I already crashed once due to CPU temps skyrocketing, but that was probably due to horribly installed CPU cooler that I now have fixed
    Edit 2: This computer had to be sent to repair the day I bought it back in 08. It had some weird user account left to it by some strange employee who was installing the OS to this. No one knew the password for it. Got some guy to phone from their side who told me how to pass the user account. After doing that nothing worked. Couldn't install any programs, couldn't open any programs, couldn't change screen resolution or wallpaper. That was back in 08 when I bought this, don't remember the explanation they gave back then.
    Last edited by Taistelumestari Viiksi; 2010-07-30 at 02:42 PM.

your temps are way to high still, i would check the cpu voltage and also i would check to make sure the fan is spinning on the cpu heatsink. is a factory heatsink or aftermarket, also when you reinstalled the heatsink did you clean off the thermal paste and reapply it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taistelumestari Viiksi View Post
    My processor on this computer is Intel Q9300 @ 2.5GHz
    Edit: + I already crashed once due to CPU temps skyrocketing, but that was probably due to horribly installed CPU cooler that I now have fixed
    Oh, had you planned on getting an i7? Don't know why that stuck in my head. Anyway, the Q9300 has a tCase of 71.4*C, so you're good up until about 82*C at the cores. So 96*C is still insanely high.

I would do what biggredd suggested. Check your CPU settings in the BIOS (or even with CPU-Z). See what the FSB and multiplier are set to. See what the vCore is set to. However, if it went ~14*C over max temp spec, it's highly possible that there's just physical damage at this point, especially if it's not the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by biggredd View Post
    your temps are way to high still, i would check the cpu voltage and also i would check to make sure the fan is spinning on the cpu heatsink. is a factory heatsink or aftermarket, also when you reinstalled the heatsink did you clean off the thermal paste and reapply it.
    Fan is spinning on the CPU heatsink, that is checked (it's factory heatsink). I got told that I shouldn't clean the thermal paste off. I don't currently have any of that stuff at home, but I will try to look from some local computer store for it.

And Cilraaz, I'm checking that stuff you mentioned now.
    PS: I did break the magical number 100 degrees in core temps.

Edit: Okay so, FSB seems to be set to 333 and the multiplier is 7,5. CPU voltage is set to 1,1750 V. vCore, now this was tricky one. Only thing saying vCore I found from my entire BIOS was alternating between 1,248 , 1,256 and 1,264. Don't know for sure if that is the right one (found it from 'PC Health' section).
    Last edited by Taistelumestari Viiksi; 2010-07-30 at 09:16 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    All of those numbers sound good, except for your temps. I suppose it's possible that it's mis-reporting (I had that issue with my E8500... it would show 99*C constantly), but it would be strange that you hadn't noticed it before.

If the processor was at a damaging temperature for long enough it's usual they become much hotter then what they should be.

The build looks good, But for a gaming rig keeping it cool is a must so id get a new case. Antec 1200, Antec DF-85, Hf 932 or Haf X. Best choices for a gaming rig IMO. As of right now i am running my i7 930 at stock settings due to it being to hot here in San Diego to OC and i was running wow, 3 internet windows, zune, skype and Vent and hardly taxing the processor at all. Such an amazing architecture.

All of those numbers sound good, except for your temps. I suppose it's possible that it's mis-reporting (I had that issue with my E8500... it would show 99*C constantly), but it would be strange that you hadn't noticed it before.
    Fairly sure that it is not mis-reporting. Without WoW the temps keep at 70-75. With WoW they raise to 90-99.

Edit: Just when I thought about it, I remembered that my CPU usage SPIKING HUGELY after this computer arrived from the repair first time like 2-3 weeks ago. I got same situation now but was able to contain it better due to reinstalling of CPU cooler. Huge CPU usage spike when any noticeable reason could not be found indicates that they were overheating. Correct? I didn't check temperatures back then but I am fairly sure that the CPU cooler being wrongly installed during that repair 2-3 weeks ago did do some damage to my processor. Being unaware of this at that time I kept my computer running on for several hours with core temperatures being close to 100*C while trying to find solution to the problem (had to sent it repair again but I'm back with this problem :< ). I don't even care to call those retards anymore, not at least in the next few days.'

Edit2: Oh and also, when I ordered food today while visiting (gas station) restaurant (french fries and sausage with pretty ordinary side dishes) that damn immigrant cook managed to mess up my order. Instead of french fries and sausage I got potato wedges and charred sausage and they even gave me wrong side dishes... World seems to be against me for some fucking reason that I cannot understand. Thank you for your patience in reading this post. Take care I'm going to bed
    Last edited by Taistelumestari Viiksi; 2010-08-01 at 08:53 PM.

Was just reading this and had to correct you. The 920 is 21x multiplier the 930 is 22x multiplier. Not that it matters :P

Quote Originally Posted by Dethh View Post
    Was just reading this and had to correct you. The 920 is 21x multiplier the 930 is 22x multiplier. Not that it matters :P
    Intel disagrees with your correction and agrees with Cilraaz on the multipliers. Wikipedia has a neat table, but since it's not always reliable you can click on the links to Intel datasheets from the table if you want to be sure. Datasheets list the multiplier as "bus/core ratio" in the first block.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

15+ Year Old Account
    I get my numbers from Intel's Ark (basically their whitesheet database). i7 930 = 21x, i7 960 = 24x.

I'm not sure why people try to correct me on information like that.
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2010-08-01 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Intel disagrees with your correction and agrees with Cilraaz on the multipliers. Wikipedia has a neat table, but since it's not always reliable you can click on the links to Intel datasheets from the table if you want to be sure. Datasheets list the multiplier as "bus/core ratio" in the first block.
    I have the 930 and I'M telling you what MINE says you can believe whatever you want.

---------- Post added 2010-08-01 at 09:36 PM ----------

I get my numbers from Intel's Ark (basically their whitesheet database). i7 930 = 21x, i7 960 = 24x.

I'm not sure why people try to correct me on information like that.
    Because your information is incorrect sir.
    If you want I can reset defaults and take a pic to show you the 22x multiplier its no problem.
    Last edited by Dethh; 2010-08-01 at 09:48 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have the 930 and I'M telling you what MINE says you can believe whatever you want.

---------- Post added 2010-08-01 at 09:36 PM ----------

Because your information is incorrect sir.
    If you want I can reset defaults and take a pic to show you the 22x multiplier its no problem.
    Ok. Go on over to Intel and let them know that their whitesheets are wrong then. The base 22x multiplier you're describing is an i7 940.

I'm sorry, but I completely trust Intel's word over yours.