Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by pangeltveit View Post
    Because WoW is CPU Dependant. getting a faster CPU will give alot more fps than a faster GPU.
    I missed the part where he said he wanted a computer specifically built around WoW, my bad.

That would be in the title, Cheap Build for WoW players.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    • "Cheap builds" typically don't include a PCI sound card. In fact, it's mostly a waste of cash.
    • Overclocking a 5770 won't really give you much in the way of a performance increase. I saw slightly higher synthetic benchmark numbers, but other than that warm and tingly feeling, I saw no improvement. The GTX 460 is the way to go right now... 1GB version.
    • A system with an SSD doesn't really qualify as a "cheap build" and, on top of that, gives very little performance increase for WoW players (aside from faster loading screens and models loading in areas like Dalaran). Once everything's loaded, your SSD's performance increase goes out the window
    • For WoW performance, save some cash on the CPU and get an i5 750/760. Overclock it. WoW simply won't eat through the extra threads from the i7 870.
    • In addition to the CPU change, get RAM that will perform at 1600MHz or better. You'll need it, since you're raising the base clock from overclocking the i5
    I notice in every post mentioning anything relating Radeon you pop up with GTX 460, as someone who is a noob about that specific card can you please explain in further detail why its such a great card other than seeing benchmarks? Im not arguing, I just dont see the big deal about a +$200 card versus a -$100 card on sale (5770). Theyre both dx11 and Cataclysm isnt exactly going to be demanding in that regard besides high end water effects....

The OP didnt bring up anything worthwhile as far as a "cheap" build besides the card imo.

Im just trying to justify spending over $100 extra on a card that might give me a decent amount more of fps on water effects?

Thanks for your time (again, not arguing)

http://joekey.deviantart.com Sig by Lilliputia! <3

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Narshe View Post
    I notice in every post mentioning anything relating Radeon you pop up with GTX 460, as someone who is a noob about that specific card can you please explain in further detail why its such a great card other than seeing benchmarks? Im not arguing, I just dont see the big deal about a +$200 card versus a -$100 card on sale (5770). Theyre both dx11 and Cataclysm isnt exactly going to be demanding in that regard besides high end water effects....

The OP didnt bring up anything worthwhile as far as a "cheap" build besides the card imo.

Im just trying to justify spending over $100 extra on a card that might give me a decent amount more of fps on water effects?

Thanks for your time (again, not arguing)
    The GTX 460 runs about $230. The 5770 runs about $170. For an extra $60, the GTX 460 will pretty much destroy a 5770. If you're looking just for WoW, you might not see much improvement. We still don't know what Cataclysm will bring. You have to remember that they have a ton of debug code enabled right now in beta. There's no saying how that will impact GPU performance. There's also no saying how much (if anything) has moved from CPU-dependency to GPU-dependency.

As a short answer, it's $60 more than a 5770 and lies between the 5830 and 5850 in performance. Also, lately nVidia's drivers have been improving the card's performance by leaps and bounds. ATi's drivers have been mainly bug fixes. The GTX 460 could potentially end up competing with the 5850, if that improvement continues.

Speaking of graphics cards, if they do go ahead with their possible plans to upgrade all player models, will that have an impact on performance (or require an upgrade for those of us running less-than-ideal systems)?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jaimelannister View Post
    Speaking of graphics cards, if they do go ahead with their possible plans to upgrade all player models, will that have an impact on performance (or require an upgrade for those of us running less-than-ideal systems)?
    If they upgrade the models, they will consist of more polygons. More polygons would need more horsepower to draw them. That's part of the reason that they're on the fence about it.

If they upgrade the models, they will consist of more polygons. More polygons would need more horsepower to draw them. That's part of the reason that they're on the fence about it.
    So is that more stress on CPU, GPU, or both?

The BE/Draenei and now Worgen/Goblin models are already higher polygon count, right?

Quote Originally Posted by jaimelannister View Post
    So is that more stress on CPU, GPU, or both?

The BE/Draenei and now Worgen/Goblin models are already higher polygon count, right?
    Both, mostly GPU. Easy fix would be having optional tesselation for DX11 users.

And yes, the new races have higher polygon count.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

15+ Year Old Account
    The GTX 460 runs about $230. The 5770 runs about $170. For an extra $60, the GTX 460 will pretty much destroy a 5770. If you're looking just for WoW, you might not see much improvement. We still don't know what Cataclysm will bring. You have to remember that they have a ton of debug code enabled right now in beta. There's no saying how that will impact GPU performance. There's also no saying how much (if anything) has moved from CPU-dependency to GPU-dependency.

As a short answer, it's $60 more than a 5770 and lies between the 5830 and 5850 in performance. Also, lately nVidia's drivers have been improving the card's performance by leaps and bounds. ATi's drivers have been mainly bug fixes. The GTX 460 could potentially end up competing with the 5850, if that improvement continues.
    The reason i mentioned 5770 being sub $100 is because Slickdeals had a XFX 1gb card on sale w/ rebate for around $90 a couple weeks ago, I was hoping it would go back on sale at some point soonish. Dont know if thats a fair comparison because im not sure if the 460 ever goes on sale? I do see what you saying though if your paying full price for either card, thanks

http://joekey.deviantart.com Sig by Lilliputia! <3

The extra threads on an i7 do nothing for wow anyway, nor for the vast majority of software which is still not properly utilising 2 cores let alone 4 or effectively 8.
    Also the polygon count, unless they have changed something is still not going to put much pressure on you GPU.
    The game is very much CPU bound and short of shadows, AA, plus on a dx11 card the new water effects the GPU features very little.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2010-08-12 at 04:16 AM.