Buying a new comp for Cataclysm..

Please, all you computer experts tell me if this is good enough to run WoW the right way. Right now my comp is going on 7 years old and runs WoW at about 9-12 FPS, it's really sad.

This is the computer I hope to be getting, tell me what you think of it.

The specs for it are just a mouseroll down.
    He's climbin' in your Deepholme
    Burnin' yo people up
    Tryin to kill em' so you need to hide yo kids hide yo wife
    Cause he burnin' erbody out there

It has pretty weak CPU and integrated graphics. Will run 25-man raids at your familiar 9-12fps speed on medium graphics.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

just pop a geforce 460 in it and it should be fine.

1,000,000,000 Gighrz Quad Core Duo, over 9000 gigs of ram, on board gfx card

Quote Originally Posted by Rottenbeaver View Post
    just pop a geforce 460 in it and it should be fine.
    Doesn't help with weak CPU. Will still suck with WoW, and stuck at maybe 15-20fps but full graphics (except shadows) and AA maxed.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

As everyone else said it's junk. That is an internet/ word processor box not a gaming computer.

At the least what you want in a computer to run wow decently well is a Phenom 2/ i5/ i7 cpu with 4gigs of ram and non integrated video preferably with dx11 support.

Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moobious View Post
    As everyone else said it's junk. That is an internet/ word processor box not a gaming computer.

At the least what you want in a computer to run wow decently well is a Phenom 2/ i5/ i7 cpu with 4gigs of ram and non integrated video preferably with dx11 support.
    In other words, you need $500 more

Quote Originally Posted by pangeltveit View Post
    In other words, you need $500 more
    Not close to $500 more.
    More like $200 more.

Something like this would be a decent Wow computer.
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2010-08-08 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Fixed your URL tag. The URL goes inside and words you want to display outside.

Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.

15+ Year Old Account
    "Decent" really depends on a personal definition. That computer may be decent to one person's expectations. For me, it would be slightly below mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    "Decent" really depends on a personal definition. That computer may be decent to one person's expectations. For me, it would be slightly below mediocre.
    That's a given, the OP was asking for opinions and almost everyone has differing opinions.

As it were I personally put eye candy low on my list of expectations and game play higher. The computer I linked won't blow anyone away with 60fps and full shadows but running 25m raids at 30+ fps shouldn't be an issue.

Just a note I'm not recommending that particular PC I know nothing more about cyberpower PC other than that newegg sells them and that I was able to pick out something with the approximate specs I wanted with minimal effort.

As stated, the CPU is rather weak.
    Try something nearer 3.0GHz.
    While not really utilising graphics cards that well yet, at least by getting a dedicated one you will be shifting some of the work, particularly shadows and with a dx11 card, the new water effects over to that so putting less stress on the already overtaxed CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    As stated, the CPU is rather weak.
    Try something nearer 3.0GHz.
    While not really utilising graphics cards that well yet, at least by getting a dedicated one you will be shifting some of the work, particularly shadows and with a dx11 card, the new water effects over to that so putting less stress on the already overtaxed CPU.
    Just so you guys are aware, I'm not looking for an expensive gaming PC, I only wanted to buy a new comp because my current one has trouble with WoTLK textures. Please understand WoW is the only computer game that I seriously play, and I'm not looking to spend over $600 for it. This seemed to fit my needs with the low cost and quad core (this one is currently single).

But the guy earlier posted a gaming comp for $670, so I'm going to go browse some more and see if I can find anything cheaper. I'll post back anything I find.

---------- Post added 2010-08-09 at 03:24 PM ----------

I found this, 2.9 GHZ, and it's in my price range. Anything wrong with this one?
    Burnin' yo people up

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cenarius View Post
    I found this, 2.9 GHZ, and it's in my price range. Anything wrong with this one?
    It has an older generation CPU and integrated graphics.

Found an even cheaper one, 3.0 GHz, I like the style, opinions on this one. I'm aware of it's integrated graphics, but I'll more than likely just buy a new card anyway.
    Burnin' yo people up

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Cenarius View Post
    Found an even cheaper one, 3.0 GHz, I like the style, opinions on this one. I'm aware of it's integrated graphics, but I'll more than likely just buy a new card anyway.
    The Athlon II is 2 generations old and easily outperformed by a Phenom or Phenom II. Overall, it looks like a sub-$500 computer.

That one isn't a large amount cheaper, plus it's a dual core and not a quad core, with no dedicated video card. If you're likely to buy a new video card anyways you should be looking into building your own or going to Newegg for a larger variety of prebuilt computers. Here are a few I found on Newegg that are prebuilt, but keep in mind that you're likely getting a pretty bad power supply, a cheap motherboard, and cheap RAM in each prebuilt you see.

This is a pretty good deal with an i5 760 and Geforce GTX460: iBUYPOWER Gamer Extreme 959i $999.99
    This, in my opinion, would be a better deal, it's better balanced for CPU intensive application and if you were using a 7 year old computer this should blow you away: iBUYPOWER Gamer Extreme 947i or iBUYPOWER Gamer Extreme 966i The second one uses an i7 870 which should perform a bit better because of its stronger turbo mode and stock frequency.

You should be able to build an AMD rig for about $600 - $700, but the prebuilt systems by iBuypower are about $200 - $300 overpriced, but their Intel selections are priced fairly well. All of these are more expensive but well worth it compared to what you're looking at.
    The AMD options from ibuypower prebuilts are horribly priced, so I won't even bother recommending them.
    Last edited by None; 2010-08-11 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Oops, I said 9 years but it's 7
    Errors using inadequate data are much less than those using no data at all. - Charles Babbage

15+ Year Old Account
    The i7 860/870 isn't really much better than an i5 750/760. In the systems you linked, they're also coming with a paultry GTS 250, compared to the GTX 460. Overclocking the i5 760 with the GTX 460 would by far be the better system for the money.

The i7 860/870 isn't really much better than an i5 750/760. In the systems you linked, they're also coming with a paultry GTS 250, compared to the GTX 460. Overclocking the i5 760 with the GTX 460 would by far be the better system for the money.
    Now that I think about it, I have to agree, but they tacked on an extra $150 for 4gb of horrible RAM. If there were another option for $150 less with only 4gb it would make it a great deal. Prebuilts are pretty terrible, it would probably be possible to do the same build for a bit less if you cut corners for the motherboard, memory, and power supply, which is exactly what ibuypower does (H55 motherboard on the i5 760 prebuilt...).
    Errors using inadequate data are much less than those using no data at all. - Charles Babbage

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by None View Post
    Now that I think about it, I have to agree, but they tacked on an extra $150 for 4gb of horrible RAM. If there were another option for $150 less with only 4gb it would make it a great deal. Prebuilts are pretty terrible, it would probably be possible to do the same build for a bit less if you cut corners for the motherboard, memory, and power supply, which is exactly what ibuypower does (H55 motherboard on the i5 760 prebuilt...).
    Wow, I missed the H55 motherboard. That's terrible.

Overall, it would be better to self-build, if at all possible. You get more for the same amount of money that way.

Wow, I missed the H55 motherboard. That's terrible.

Overall, it would be better to self-build, if at all possible. You get more for the same amount of money that way.

I wouldn't necessarily call this cutting corners, but it's $120 cheaper for hopefully obvious better quality components before mail in rebates, but it also has 4gb less memory, not that it matters.

Edit: Oh god, I just looked at the images on the i5 760 prebuilt, it's using a XION 700w Power supply, this unit to be exact and here's a quote from the article:
    Something else about the numbers worried me just a bit. While taking measurements, it was hard to pin down an accurate reading. That's because the meter's numbers kept jumping up and down like the voltage regulators were playing hopscotch in there. I saw deflection by as much as .04V on the 12V rail... that's not very good regulation, people, especially when the unit did it at all load levels.
    The exhaust temperatures at 674w load were 62 Degrees Celsius, that's indication of a very short life.

The other bad news is that it's a Palit GTX460, those things probably have the worst heatsink of all the 460s. The good news is that the Palit GTX460 looks alright, but the red PCB reminds me too much of Powercolor.
    Last edited by None; 2010-08-12 at 01:19 AM.