Upgrading PC [GPU]

Hello all, I want to upgrade my computer for Cataclysm.

This is my computer
    It is a Gateway GT5228
    Specs:

Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 4200+ dual-core processor with AMD64 Technology

* 2.2 GHz
    * 2000 MHz system bus
    * L2 cache: 512 KB ×2

Memory:Installed: 2048 MB DDR2 533 MHz (PC4200) (two 1024 MB modules)
    Expandable to: 4 GB

Video: Integrated NVIDIA® GeForce® 6100 graphics
    Up to 128 MB of shared video memory

PSU: 300 WATT (But I bought the Cooler Master GX Series 750 WATT)

My question is which graphics card should I get? And will it help improve my FPS in 25 mans. If so how much? If it is not going to help, I am not going to bother. Looking for at least solid 15 max 30 FPS.

I am not an expert at computers so any advice is appreciated. And will it fit in my tower?
    Also how is my CPU?
    Last edited by Karried; 2010-09-06 at 08:33 PM.

Deleted
    Well yeah a new GPU would probably boost your performance alittle since that onboard is pretty crap.
    These days people normally get a Ati Radeon HD 5770 or nVidia GeForce GTX 460 since theyre pretty good cards for a reasonable price.

Your CPU is actually quite weak for todays standards. Would be better if you had someone more closer to the 3ghz mark. Or a Triple core For gaming these days people usually take a AMD Phenom II or a Intel i5.
    Although the I5 is a little better than the Phenom II, the Phenom II processors are cheaper and will still offer good playability. Even though there are AMD Athlon II dual core and up to quad cores at 3ghz and cheaper than the phenom. Dont buy those over the Phenom II cpu's. Theyre old tech and not meant for gaming. The Phenom II has much better architecture and a 6MB L3 Cache that will boost your performance by some. Hope i helped a little bit. I know much more knowledged people will reply but here was my opinion.

edit: If this http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/10...009153nv.shtml is your case then yes it looks like it will fit almost any mid range GPU. (like the HD 5770)
    Last edited by mmoc08e0cbb1c7; 2010-09-06 at 08:31 PM.

Deleted
    You'll need a new motherboard aswell then

Cool Thanks. Also why a new motherboard. I don't think I have the money to do so. I just want to play XPac and not run 3 FPS in 25s.

Quote Originally Posted by Karried View Post
    Cool Thanks. Also why a new motherboard. I don't think I have the money to do so.
    You might hit 10-15fps with just new graphics card. New motherboard because processors currently on sale will not fit into same board as the processor you have at the moment. And you'll be forced to get new RAM for the same reason, effectively cascading into buying new PC. Sorry.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want just a cheap, quick upgrade on your current system you could always just throw an amd x64 6400 on your board... Don't know why you would though... Your GPU is in about the same era as your CPU and needs to be replaced too, but CPU should come first, at least for WoW.

God, scratch all of that and just gut your case and start over... You got a budget in mind or what? For around $600 you can get an i5-750, GTX 460, 4gb DDR3, and a decent motherboard that would make your current box seem like an 82 Datsun runnin on 3 cylinders.

The computer you have is not a gaming computer.

You will need to upgrade it up to a gaming computer to get playable frame rates in current games.

It's so far from a gaming computer that it will be simpler and easier to just get a new computer.

Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.

Well I do not have a whole bunch of money to spend. 200 at most. I know its not a gaming computer or the best. I just want to know if upgrading GFX adding a 5770 or 460 plus 2 more gigs of RAMM will run Xpac. Idc if I get 12 FPS I can live with that.

Well I do not have a whole bunch of money to spend. 200 at most. I know its not a gaming computer or the best. I just want to know if upgrading GFX adding a 5770 or 460 plus 2 more gigs of RAMM will run Xpac. Idc if I get 12 FPS I can live with that.
    No it won't. You currently have an integrated graphics card which is terrible for gaming I'm surprised you can run the game tbh I guess these have come a long way. I wouldn't put any money into that PC you should try to sell it if you can. Nothing you can do to make that machine run Cata in the future sorry for being so blunt.

The point I was trying to make is that to get it to run the x-pac well you will need a whole new computer. Adding more ram and a graphics card will help but in the end you are limited by the cpu. Chaning the cpu pretty much equates to a new computer.

Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.