Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Blizzard is screwing up with the hunter pet changes

I hope it's just a bug or not final, but for blizzard to take exotic pet abilities and remove the damage aspect of the ability and make it a clone of a non-exotic pet ability really seems like a stupid idea in my opinion. What is the point in a BM hunter's 51 talent then.... to have a cosmetically different pet?

Some examples:
    -Lava Breath (Core Hound - E) - Your pet breathes a double gout of molten lava at the target, reducing the target's casting speed by 25% for 10 sec. / 30 yd range, Instant, 8 sec cooldown (No longer deals damage) **I like how lava breath doesn't hurt you, must be cool lava**
    -Frost Breath (Chimaera - E) - Your pet simultaneously breathes frost and lightning at an enemy target, slowing the target for 5 sec. / 30 yd range, Instant, 10 sec cooldown (No longer deals damage) **still shoots lightning and cold, just the lightning doesn't hurt, it helps you read books in the dark**
    -Venom Web Spray (Silithid - E) - Sprays toxic webs at the target, preventing movement for 5 sec. / 30 yd range, Instant, 40 sec cooldown (Up from 4 sec, no longer deals damage)
    **grats your exotic pet is now just a re-skinned spider**

Seriously hoping that's a bug or not final. Seems real real stupid. Glad I don't play a BM hunter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aren't they all getting different raid utilities or did I miss something.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Deleted
    failing troll is fail

The way i see it is that Exotics get two abilities.
    havent seen this confirmed with all exotics, but off the top of my head Core Hounds and Devilsaurs both get 2 abilities.

The point is that it will also give you more pet talent points, I believe.

In the case of the chimera it is a straight nerf. Unless I missed a raid buff chimeras are getting?

Personally i would be all for this. As long as they remove the stupid notion that you need BM to use spirit beast. Spirit beast were meant for hunters who were willing to take the time to camp rare beast for bragging rights or so they said. Give BM a real 31p talent and open up the spirit beast to all hunters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruargh
    I'm baffled that something this simple can be so hard for some people... I guess we can't blame blizzard for dumbing down the game any longer, because apparently it very much needed :

10+ Year Old Account
    The point of the talent is really for the pet talent points. That's a pretty good damage boost for the pet even without the ability to tame exotics.

there isn't a 51 point talent so it makes complete sense.

10+ Year Old Account
    Douse those flames OP, you're missing the point behind this, and you seem to be misinformed!

BM Hunters are already extremely strong, reworking a pet's attack so it's still effective, but doesn't deal damage, won't change the fact that they're DPS machines. If your pet can crit for 30K, you're fine when it comes to damage. These changes are going to expand on raid flexibility; Since Hunters are a popular class, more Hunters won't be as bad as it is in Live, since they can bring more to the table when it comes to utility/buffs.

You might have 3 BM Hunters, but combine the Hunter's DPS and their pet's abilities, and you could have a Frost DK, an Enhancement Shaman and a Retribution Paladin. I think it's all for the better.

Seems like you just wanna throw a rageparty over a change that you don't fully understand ;o

Edit:

I totally missed the fact that these abilities are baseline, so you can spend talent elsewhere.
    Last edited by MonsieuRoberts; 2010-09-12 at 02:27 AM. Reason: lolwut
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Maybe I'm a stickler for details, but again, VENOM web spray? LAVA breath? "simultaneously breathes frost and lightning"??
    Those attacks don't sound like they should do damage?
    If you play a BM hunter and do PvP (not sure if there are still hunters that do) you'd probably like those pet attacks to keep their damage aspect. But the damage component is being removed so the exotic pets can have a 2nd ability that gives a raid buff effect of some kind. Fair trade? Maybe, but still makes no sense to have a damaging attack not do damage. Change the name. Change the tool tip, something.
    And like I pointed out, in one case (chimera) it's just a straight nerf. Unless they are planning on adding in a raid buff for chimeras.

also, at least 2 of the exotics have 2! abilities. Their damage is scaling more from us so really removing the damage from the abilities is fine. I do think all exotics shouls have 2 and not just I think so far its Core Hounds and Devilsaurs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldrad View Post
    In the case of the chimera it is a straight nerf. Unless I missed a raid buff chimeras are getting?
    They might not be in yet.

The way this is going to work is that Claw, Bite, and Smack will be your pet's main DPS abilities. Every pet will have a buff/debuff ability, and all Exotic pets will have a superior Class Buff (Heroism/Blood Pact) in addition to a buff/debuff ability.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

rofl it's an expansion.. they are basically revamping every class in one way or another and of course working to balance each classes dps, i hope people are not worried about a chimera pet nerf.........................

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by palpableimmunity View Post
    Seems like you just wanna throw a rageparty over a change that you don't fully understand ;o
    this

its still a beta, why would 1 focus on pet dps, when self dps with pet abilitys could be just awesome! things in cata are going to be alot diferent that in wotlk, so why compare?

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe I'm a stickler for details, but again, VENOM web spray? LAVA breath? "simultaneously breathes frost and lightning"??
    Those attacks don't sound like they should do damage?
    If you play a BM hunter and do PvP (not sure if there are still hunters that do) you'd probably like those pet attacks to keep their damage aspect. But the damage component is being removed so the exotic pets can have a 2nd ability that gives a raid buff effect of some kind. Fair trade? Maybe, but still makes no sense to have a damaging attack not do damage. Change the name. Change the tool tip, something.
    And like I pointed out, in one case (chimera) it's just a straight nerf. Unless they are planning on adding in a raid buff for chimeras.
    Chimeras are Cunning pets so they probably tried to give it a debuff related to PvP.

Well as long as the BM hunters don't mind the change and are happy, I guess all is fine.
    I'll just avoid reading abilities and tool tips that are contradictory so I don't have OCC flare ups.

---------- Post added 2010-09-12 at 02:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by lzinho View Post
    this

its still a beta, why would 1 focus on pet dps, when self dps with pet abilitys could be just awesome! things in cata are going to be alot diferent that in wotlk, so why compare?

OMG, I hate it when people say "it's just beta".
    You know, at some point, Hitler was "just a beta" and people didn't stop him... then he went live.
    Just saying.

Anyway, looks like people are fine with their exotic pets losing damaging special attacks.

If you play BM, you're doing it wrong anyway.

The only pet change we need is a faster rez. 10 seconds is laughable, we're the pet class dammit, yet warlocks and DKs get instant summons and/or faster casts.

-Venom Web Spray (Silithid - E) - Sprays toxic webs at the target, preventing movement for 5 sec. / 30 yd range, Instant, 40 sec cooldown (Up from 4 sec, no longer deals damage)
    **grats your exotic pet is now just a re-skinned spider**
    Isn't that pretty much what the current Silithid's are anyway? Besides the DoT applied with the root the only real difference is their main dps attack, claw vs bite. I could be wrong though.

As for the rest I just see it as a way to make BM a little more raid friendly, yea they may not bring the greatest dps(could change come Cata as we all know) but right now they are bringing some acceptable utility.

OMG, I hate it when people say "it's just beta".
    But it is just beta, sure complain about the changes but just because the name of the ability doesn't correlate to what you would expect it to do doesn't mean it won't work. Yes Lava Breath sounds like something that should deal damage but this is WoW, real life physics don't always apply.
    Last edited by Dedweight; 2010-09-12 at 02:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're forgetting all these nerfs in damage are getting re-imbursed with Group/Raid wide buffs that will not only surpass that minimal damage from a 40 second cooldown but allow your whole group/raid to have it.