10+ Year Old Account

Can't connect to News server, Can't dowload patch

Not sure if this is the approriate forum but anyhow...I can't for the life of me get wow to connect to the News Server. I've tried disabling my firewall, shut down ad-aware and the like, I am running wow as an admin. Haven't poked around with the router settings but I have port forwarding on and I don't see why I would have to tinker with that? Also if i run the addy for the launcher in Ffox window it loads just fine.

The side effect of this is that the Blizzard downloader doesn't initiate. I try executing the Blizzard downloader manually but it still does not connect. If i just go ahead and login in goes fine, choose server and character it says I need to download patch and restart but alas it does not start downloading. If anyone has any bright ideas i'd be thankful.
    Last edited by PhillieB; 2010-10-14 at 07:57 AM.

Have you tried running the repair tool ? There could be a problem with your downloader.

Deleted
    Are you sure there isn't another firewall active at the same time (Windows's default FW?). That's usually the case. Another idea is to rename the Launcher.exe file and then run Repair.exe, so it repairs the Launcher file.

10+ Year Old Account
    @perera> Tried running repair tool says it can't connect to the server either.
    @Magekid> @work right now so i'll have to check when i get home, but I shut off the default FW. i'll though try renaming the launcher.exe

Leaning towards now after doing some digging around that it might be that i've reset the router or something and the right ports aren't open after all. Will keep this thread updated in case someone runs into the same problem.

Deleted
    Aye what I meant was, if you use a Firewall (not the Windows one) it might've automatically enabled the Windows Firewall when yours was disabled without your knowledge.

At work here as well, so can't check it in detail, but in your Router should also be an option to turn the FW off, as routers have a built-in one as well... Just to give it a try, however make sure you turn it back on afterwards.

- Logicaly

My friend had this exact issue. It was fixed by going into Internet Options -> connections tab -> Lan Settings and making sure nothing is checked (especially proxy settings)

If unchecking everything doesnt fix it, try only having Automatically Detect Settings on.

Found this fix in a blue post somewhere.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithsonian View Post
    My friend had this exact issue. It was fixed by going into Internet Options -> connections tab -> Lan Settings and making sure nothing is checked (especially proxy settings)

If unchecking everything doesnt fix it, try only having Automatically Detect Settings on.

This. Had this problem a while ago, and it worked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithsonian View Post

This is probably what finally solved the problem, not a clue how the proxy box ended up checked ?? Also it seems there is problems with port forwarding on the DIR-655 modem I use but i got around that.