Thread: Mages still OP

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xart View Post
    I play ret. We are supposed to be the easiest kited specc in the game. I tear nearly every mage I face apart. The only mage so far that beaten me in a duel is a rank 1 arena mage. And thats frankly cause he is really good.

Guess I gotta be really good also then?
    Haha +1 Internets for you... With not being able to dispell slows and HoF just being instant dispell how on earth do you "tear nearly every mage apart"? Raping in BG, because that's no problem. In a duel or in 1v1 you simply cannot win to a mage, they can just spec arcane now and keep slow on and kite you for ever HF...

Quote Originally Posted by skyesfury View Post
    I'm respectably geared and I wasn't seeing these 40k crits I hear about. Even popping CDs. I have no way of knowing what the resil was on some of the folks I hit, but I never saw above a 25k crit. And even that guy I'm pretty sure was poorly geared (he barely had over 20k health at 100%).

But it's a good thing that they have nerfed (hotfixed even) resilience within one week, there are still people not getting oneshotted sometimes.

And yes I do realize that he is insanely buffed, but even if he was doing 50% less damage it would still be too much.

Oh and here is another one with a frostmage just for the lulz

Last edited by Doylez; 2010-10-20 at 07:03 AM.

Deleted
    I play a Paladin and a Mage and ATm mages are really very strong.
    And i dont see how anything will be fixed with Cata, cause on the Beta servers they increased the mage dmg, while ret fas only increased temp for lvl 80.

Deleted
    Hahahaha! That I live to see the day!
    Ret-paladins QQ-ing about how OP mages are....hahahahaha!

Ok....a more serious reply then.
    1st: AB can do that amount of damage. But indeed, that arcane mage needed to have his 4 stacks up and probably used AP as well in order to get that amount of dmg on someone with a resilience of >1500
    2: Arcanemages will not be able to spam 30 frostnova's (or even 10 for that matter).
    3: a bubble which makes you immune to everything is in no way OP of course...
    4: still hesitating? youtube.com/watch?v=gtK9EvhqEIw Watch that little nerfed paladin!

Yes, mages are OP at the moment (maybe fixed after todays patch?) But this goes more for PvE than for PvP. And most likely this has got little to do with their talents and scaling of spelldamage but most likely with a few bugs in favor of mages.
    I got suspicious because of a discussion on elitistjerks.com/f75/t104767-fire_cataclysm_discussion_updated_4_01_a
    Apparentely there is issues with using your secondary talenttree (you get to keep your buffs from talents and glyphs from your 1st tree), Netherwind presence might give more haste than intended and pyromaniac might proccing without a reason. (I know: this thread is not about arcanemages).

Give Blizz some time to sort the bugs out, get used to your new talenttree and then see if there is still a problem.
    Last edited by mmocf0453d6c2a; 2010-10-20 at 07:12 AM.

1. Blizzard themselves said that 1vs1 doesn't matter to them (atleast not much), so you can't balance around that.

2. Confusing topic title - should be "Arcane is OP" not mages.

3. Ret pally tears even tho they do 15k hammers?

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vexallius View Post
    1. Blizzard themselves said that 1vs1 doesn't matter to them (atleast not much), so you can't balance around that.

Even though this is lvl 80 what does 15k hammers have to do with it when people only have like 7k health on 20%.. And it got a CD with AW which again mages can just spellsteal.. And to Shovanis for saying that our bubble is so OP. How do you expect us to kill a mage when all they do is to go defensive when we bubble? You can't just bubble and hope for the mage to die, you have to do something..

i myself was just comparing op rets in pre wotlk to op "arcane" mages in pre cataclysm. rets where op and deserved to be nerfed. and now you mages say the same things we said to keep the opness.

and whats up with 15k hammers? all classes do 15-20k crits (on non resil targets) with their prime talents. arcane mages do double as much, with no effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Shovanis View Post
    Hahahaha! That I live to see the day!
    Ret-paladins QQ-ing about how OP mages are....hahahahaha!

Ok....a more serious reply then.
    1st: AB can do that amount of damage. But indeed, that arcane mage needed to have his 4 stacks up and probably used AP as well in order to get that amount of dmg on someone with a resilience of >1500
    2: Arcanemages will not be able to spam 30 frostnova's (or even 10 for that matter).
    3: a bubble which makes you immune to everything is in no way OP of course...
    4: still hesitating? youtube.com/watch?v=gtK9EvhqEIw Watch that little nerfed paladin!

Yes, mages are OP at the moment (maybe fixed after todays patch?) But this goes more for PvE than for PvP. And most likely this has got little to do with their talents and scaling of spelldamage but most likely with a few bugs in favor of mages.
    I got suspicious because of a discussion on elitistjerks.com/f75/t104767-fire_cataclysm_discussion_updated_4_01_a
    Apparentely there is issues with using your secondary talenttree (you get to keep your buffs from talents and glyphs from your 1st tree), Netherwind presence might give more haste than intended and pyromaniac might proccing without a reason. (I know: this thread is not about arcanemages).

Give Blizz some time to sort the bugs out, get used to your new talenttree and then see if there is still a problem.
    It's a holy paladin. all healers are OP right now.

---------- Post added 2010-10-20 at 07:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vexallius View Post

1. This is such a bad argument -- 1 v 1 always matters.

2. Frost mages are OP too

3. 15k hammers every 2minutes and they can be stolen, dispelled, purged, etc...how is that not UP at least?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oppose View Post
    Haha +1 Internets for you... With not being able to dispell slows and HoF just being instant dispell how on earth do you "tear nearly every mage apart"? Raping in BG, because that's no problem. In a duel or in 1v1 you simply cannot win to a mage, they can just spec arcane now and keep slow on and kite you for ever HF...
    Slowly killing them while using nearly every holy power for word of glory. Using 1330 resi I slowly kill them. Mages with a clue stand so far away you can't judgement them for the speed boost+holy power for more heals. But so far I have only encountered one mage standing so far away.

Also I engi to cheat in worst cases But healing is out of hand so you can outheal a arcane mage as retri if you got enough resi. Not hard to stand still. Cast flash for 0.2 sec and stop casting. He blows CS. After cs is over just heal up with 2 flash of light then start hunting him again.

Slowly killing them while using nearly every holy power for word of glory. Using 1330 resi I slowly kill them. Mages with a clue stand so far away you can't judgement them for the speed boost+holy power for more heals. But so far I have only encountered one mage standing so far away.

Also I engi to cheat in worst cases But healing is out of hand so you can outheal a arcane mage as retri if you got enough resi. Not hard to stand still. Cast flash for 0.2 sec and stop casting. He blows CS. After cs is over just heal up with 2 flash of light then start hunting him again.
    You're dueling terrible mages. You simply cannot outheal an arcane mage pumping damage into you as ret. not uh. no way. you're either playing TERRIBLE mages or lying. I think the latter.

15+ Year Old Account

Against a -really- good Arcane Mage, 1330 resilience isn't nearly enough.

However, this basic strategy is very solid.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Oppose View Post
    ...... How do you expect us to kill a mage when all they do is to go defensive when we bubble? You can't just bubble and hope for the mage to die, you have to do something..
    Hearthstone?

(ok...sorry about that. As someone else stated, you might have to expect a bit more of your teammates. Aye, 60K crits are not acceptable in PvP but if you watch Doylez' video you see he's mostly left alone, getting all the time he needs to get his buffs up.)

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplistic View Post
    You're dueling terrible mages. You simply cannot outheal an arcane mage pumping damage into you as ret. not uh. no way. you're either playing TERRIBLE mages or lying. I think the latter.
    Would not say 2k+ mages terrible. Even taking down 2.5k rated ones. But yeah. Believe me or not. I just gave a tip how i do it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darckie View Post
    It will be nerfed people, don't worry..
    I wish I had your optimism
    I can't remember the last time Mages got a considerable nerf, Blizzard loves them too much!

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anium View Post
    I wish I had your optimism
    I can't remember the last time Mages got a considerable nerf, Blizzard loves them too much!
    Start of season 5 they made so you can't pop Arcane power and instant cast on same time. Quiet huge nerf for arcane if you ask me.

Deleted
    Aye...you have a bad memory.
    LB got 2 nerfs as well

Quote Originally Posted by Ap0calypse View Post
    Mages do seem like a 1 or 2 button class atm. Must feel good to know you can top dps like that. Ret was never as faceroll as that, despite what all the uninformed idiots claim.
    Ohh god not this again, it's about PvP not PvE, to play really good as a mage you do need a ton of skill, it's incredible how arrogant people are.
    Man often meets his destiny, on the path he takes to avoid it.

Are you guys honestly saying paladins aren't OP? On my holy paladin in full relentless I've had my hammer crit on someone with equal gear for close to 9k. Tell me that is t ridiculous? Ive also had Rets pop wings and bubble and kill me By spamming hammer of wrath and still hitting me for 8k crits. I'm not disagreeing with the fact that mages are OP, they are but paladins aren't in a position to complain.

Don't let him cast arcane blast in your face then?

If you are a healer run behind a pillar or run to somone that can help you.
    hahaha.. LoS in battle grounds? good one.