So what happens when video games become "too real"?

I mean as in virtual realities you can hook up into imagine it like Jame Cameron's Avatar i mean it could cause a collapse in society as people get lost into these virtual worlds... well unless there is a safety timer to stop the games but then those can always be stopped people would find a way its just scary thinkiing about Virtual Realities becoming real. Haha random i know but what do you think?

You can count on one thing.

Crime will be down if everyone is at home in their virtual reality game.

Then again people who do crime could see this as an opportunity.

10+ Year Old Account
    I doubt games will ever come to that. I mean isn't the whole point of playing games is to relax? Virtual reality seems everything but relaxing to me.

As far as graphical realism, there will always be new ways to display visuals, whether that means making them one step closer to realistic or making them more stylized. It's sort of a logarithmic thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi View Post
    You're right. Blizzard shouldn't have temporarily banned you. They should have sent a couple employees to your residence to Jay and Silent Bob you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokvr1 View Post
    I saved a man's life today by performing brain surgery and removing a tumor the size of a quarter from his frontal lobes. God damnit I wish I wasn't ignorant though, cause I have no idea what an LSAT is. I don't know the radius of the Moon either.
    I took part in the LSAT/Cataclysm release date thread.

Then you will get people who can't split real/fake and start shooting at real people?

Deleted
    I remember reading a sci-fi story, where an expedition from Earth comes accross a planet, with tremendously advanced technology - like force shields against meteorites, chemicals covering planet and preventing any forms of diseases or unwated life-forms to appear, all kinds of leisure activities in the cities... but not a single sentient being. In the end, the expedition descends into dungeon, where they actually get to see the denizens of the planet - shapeless blobs of flesh, obviously once humanoid, with tubes of nutrients connected to their veins and wires connected to their brains, all of this mantained by robots. Wires send signals to brains, causing the beings to experience whatever they want to feel, see, hear, smell, taste... A perfect world, ain't it?

---------- Post added 2010-10-29 at 12:25 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by quiz View Post
    Then you will get people who can't split real/fake and start shooting at real people?
    ...and fight for human rights of game characters...
    "So what if your character "Noobhutard" is only level 11 and you don't wanna play it anymore, and you need a free character slot? It's still a character and you have no right to delete it! Don't you dare!"

you die in the game you die for reals

I wouldn't worry about it to much. You will be dead and your bones long since turned to dust before we ever invite the technology for something like a holodeck in star trek or the holoband from caprica. Of course that is unless me meet an alien species that helps us advance to that type of technology.

Deleted
    In fact, holographic technology isn't that fantastic - it's pretty much real, but veeery expensive, at least for now. Technology to capture you movememnts and translate them into game signals already exists. Now, technology to invoke certain feelings in you nerves (like make you feel pain, weather, atmosphere) may causeproblems to make, but hay, neuro-technology is advancing evry day.

I predict, in like 50 years we'll have gaming suites complete with video helms, and millions of freaks running in them around their homes, hunting trolls and dragons =D

You remember that Star trek episode when the holodeck came to life? That'll happen and we'll all get murdered by Gordon Freeman and The Duke and whatnot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark
    I would kill a old god.

I've heard stories about people getting Uber depressed after watching Avatar because they couldn't live on pandora.

I might beat up a cop, than steal a tank, drive over a few old people, then head up to the tallest building and use my missle launcher to take out hospital helo's. Cause when games that real, might as well pretend it's still a game....
    Orks, Space Marines, Rift (<---- Links for pics BTW)

Deleted
    Hmm I think It will be like Matrix... Or something worse?

---------- Post added 2010-11-01 at 11:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SquirtlePenguin View Post
    I've heard stories about people getting Uber depressed after watching Avatar because they couldn't live on pandora.
    Like People wanting to become vampires after watching Twilight Saga?
    Go get a life... Not you SquirtlePenguin.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjsabora View Post
    Hmm I think It will be like Matrix... Or something worse?

---------- Post added 2010-11-01 at 11:31 PM ----------

Hey I wanted to be a vampire long before that shitty twilight movie came out damnit!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darjsabora View Post
    Get over those Twilight Vapires already. There are NO vampires in twilight. They don't kill people, they live in the woods, they frigging SPARKLE. Every 5-year child will tell you that's description of a fairy...

Quote Originally Posted by Overlord-Kromgar View Post
    I mean as in virtual realities you can hook up into imagine it like Jame Cameron's Avatar i mean it could cause a collapse in society as people get lost into these virtual worlds... well unless there is a safety timer to stop the games but then those can always be stopped people would find a way its just scary thinkiing about Virtual Realities becoming real. Haha random i know but what do you think?
    You ever see the movie "Surrogates"? That's pretty much what you are talking about (kinda) lol.

EX - <PIE CHART> US TOP 10 Check 'em out http://piechart-guild.com/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by glowyrm View Post
    You ever see the movie "Surrogates"? That's pretty much what you are talking about (kinda) lol.
    oh damn, if it'll be like that in like 5 years, and Bruce Willis will be too old to save the world? We'll be doomed!