Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Stocking up on dailies vs. Going straight to the action

Stocking up on dailies vs. Going straight to the action

So after reading what must have been 10 different discussions on MMO-champion about the viability and efficiency of starting the Cataclysm-login day 1 with turning in a bunch of dailies vs. going straight to Mount Hyjal (or Vasjir) I thought I'd do some investigation.

I have stocked up 24 completed dailies in Icecrown (and the Argent Tournament place). I will list the dailies at the end. I have then logged into my beta acocunt to check how much xp I will get for them, and how long I will spend handing them in; which gives me xp/hour. I then logged onto a char at the start of Mount Hyjal and checked how much xp I could manage to gain in the same amount of time (this will obviously vary from class to class).

The daily hand ins started off in the Silver Convenant Pavilion, then to the Argent Pavilion. on to the Shadow Vault, then to the Bombardement, so to the Gunship before ending in south Ymirheim. Then HS to Stormwind. I stopped the time when I got controll over my character in Stormwind. I only have 280% flying on a Hunter. A Paladin with 310% would manage to save up to a minute.

XP from dailies: 22050*24= 529.200
    Time spent handing them in: 5m38s rounded up to 6 minutes since the gunship was close by when I tested.
    XP/Hour: 5.292.000

Handed in 2 quests and killed about 15 mobs. I guess I def should manage better than this, but Character copy was down when I tested. If anyone would do a new test of how much xp you gain per 6 minutes in MH I would be grateful.

XP gained in Mount Hyjal in 6 minutes: 88400 (non rested)
    XP/Hour: 884.000

According to this saving your Icecrown dailies would give you 6 times the XP/hour. Def. worth it if you want to get to 85 as quick as possible.

Icecrown:
    ---------------
    Assault by Air
    Assault by Ground
    Blood of the Chosen
    Capture More Dispatches
    Drag and Drop
    King of the Mountain
    Leave Our Mark
    Not a Bug
    Retest Now
    Shoot 'Em Up
    Slaves to Saronite
    Static Shock Troops: the Bombardment
    That's Abominable!
    The Solution Solution
    Vile Like Fire!

Tournament:
    ---------------
    A Blade fit for a champion
    A Valiant's Field Training
    Among the champions
    At The Enemy's Gates
    Battle Before The Citadel
    Taking Battle To The Enemy
    The Grand Melee
    The Valiant's charge
    Threat from Above
    Last edited by Gyrome; 2010-11-12 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Added quests

10+ Year Old Account
    Dude, you put this subject to rest, THANK YOU! =)

Crime does not pay ... as well as politics.
    Alfred E. Newman

Add to that that you most likely will not have free reign for questing which may delay you a bit as well =)

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wow nice job. I still may want to go directly to questing just to 'try' and beat the rush. But it might not matter which way you go really because there will be so many people either way.

Added the quests. For those finished with the argent tournament you can get 3 quests from Narasi and Savinia.

Thank you for this. I plan on doing just this!

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought stocking up on dailies then delivering them when the expansion hits didn't grant exp?

Quote Originally Posted by Pozz View Post
    Add to that that you most likely will not have free reign for questing which may delay you a bit as well =)
    Ah, but if you log in right when the servers come up and go straight to questing you may just get in at the head of the questing pack. If you can keep ahead of them your questing should go a lot faster.

So if you start questing immediately and can keep going at a good pace you may well be questing in basically empty zones since everyone else is behind you. Contrast that the extra 6 minutes at that point could mean the difference between starting in an empty zone and starting in a place with several hundred questers frantically milling around.

Deleted
    Daily quests do give XP when you're not at max level. You can try check this on a level 70 character and do some of the Isle of Quel'danas quests.

This was also a 'trick' used at Wotlk release.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulver View Post
    Ah, but if you log in right when the servers come up and go straight to questing you may just get in at the head of the questing pack. If you can keep ahead of them your questing should go a lot faster.

So if you start questing immediately and can keep going at a good pace you may well be questing in basically empty zones since everyone else is behind you. Contrast that the extra 6 minutes at that point could mean the difference between starting in an empty zone and starting in a place with several hundred questers frantically milling around.
    This would perhaps make more sense if the questing followed a linear path; however it does not. There are several questing hubs you can start with in MH, also you want to do either MH first then Vasjir, or the other way around.. I'm guessing lvl 80s will be spread more or less evenly around those 2 areas, meaning that even if you beat the "pack" by 6 minutes at the start you will meet another "pack" on the next quest hub, and defenitly a big pack when you are going from MH to Vasjir (or vica verca).

Also.. The servers will crash a number of times the first day which will break up the questing experience anyway.. I dont think theres any doubt that this daily routine will get you ahead of others if you plan on leveling quickly.

Thank you so much OP! So awesome to have a base to measure against for leveling purposes. 88400 per 6 min. Not only does that tell me that doing dailies will be the way to go, but leveling in dungeons as well! In Totalbiscuit's video of BRC he gets about 5400 xp per kill rested, so 2700 per kill for non rested. It takes him 3 seconds to kill 1 mob on the video on average, that is 6 seconds since the video is double speed. That's 27000 per min, or 162000 per 6 min. Probably a little less due to pull times.

Still, I think the dailies + dungeons route that I decided to take will be better than questing in areas with way too many people. Might break up to questing at 83 in deepholm, haven't decided yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzdoctor View Post
    I thought stocking up on dailies then delivering them when the expansion hits didn't grant exp?
    this is the right answer

same at TBC - > wotlk.. it just gives gold no exp

Pretty sure they cut the gold down to about half per quest and they gave hardly any, if any exp when people thought to do this very thing for the WOTLK release. Just because you can do this in beta doesn't mean it will be the same upon release. There will likely be a blue post regarding this subject in the near future if they do plan on cutting it down, so hang on to them for now and if you don't see anything about it then you should be good to go, but I wouldn't get too exited just yet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzdoctor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerjoe View Post
    this is the right answer

same at TBC - > wotlk.. it just gives gold no exp
    Sadly this is correct. Saving up your quest will not give any XP guys, nice try though

I think I still rather start right away in MH/Vashjir staying ahead 3 quests of all those people turning in daily quests is less people killing your quest mobs. If you get behind you have a good chance you will lose 6 minutes waiting on respawns.

You can start at other quest hubs but starting from the beginning is a better path to take. You will miss quests and if you want to go back there are even more people doing those quests.

Better would be turning in daily quests, if those give XP on live, and then go do dungeons with an awesome group. Zero wipes, very high dps, no breaks and good teamwork.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Purplehaxe View Post
    Pretty sure they cut the gold down to about half per quest and they gave hardly any, if any exp when people thought to do this very thing for the WOTLK release. Just because you can do this in beta doesn't mean it will be the same upon release. There will likely be a blue post regarding this subject in the near future if they do plan on cutting it down, so hang on to them for now and if you don't see anything about it then you should be good to go, but I wouldn't get too exited just yet.
    know handing in the powder you get in nagrand also gives exp, repeatable quest not daily, for the research tokens.
    that plus dailies was amazing, unfortunately i am in central time, servers were up about 2 hours before i could buy my disc,

fixed that this year with digital downloads.
    i actually called it before it was announced XD
    this post
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

So sick of dailies. bring on new content, new quests!

Why 24 dailies and not 25 - any specific reason or just what you happened to do?

IMO it seems like a fairly small gain considering this will put you 6 mins behind everyone else. As others have said, you'll certainly end up fighting for respawns and any lead on the pack is crucial. And that's assuming they don't slash the xp rate for northrend, which iirc they did for TBC areas before Wrath.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow, you pretty much put a final nail in the coffin for that subject. I'm actually half tempted to pull this off.

why is this thread still going some moderator lock it please

the correct answer has already been posted.. u CANNOT gain exp from premade quests before cata launches