Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why do we still have Skinning?

It's ... kind of just floating there to be honest. Skinning doesn't give EXP like mining or herbalism does now (nor do I think it should), and the crit doesn't seem so great to have instead of a profession that gives more. It is kind of a gathering profession, but it doesn't really seem to be on the same level as herbalism and mining. It seems more like salvaging from corpses the way we do for cloth. Since it yields materials only from mobs like cloth, why don't skins or hides just drop from animals or creatures that are deemed currently as skinnable? I mean, you could give Leatherworkers the the same benefit as Tailors did in Northrend, chance for extra hide to drop from a mob.

10+ Year Old Account
    because its my favourite profession
    ....................................................................................

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Because cloth is also used for first aid?
    Because unlike cloth there are multible types of leather? (just like mining/herbalism)
    Because like mining and herbalism the nodes (dead bodies) are only useable for skinners?

Edit:
    And because it's Ejzo's favorite profession ofc

Edit2:
    If it was just like tailoring, the prices of leather would drop enormous since there would be a lot more leather in WoW.
    This would effect the price of everything made by tailioring.
    Why pay a lot for something made with LW while the mats are extremly cheap. (look at the prices of enchanting mats since the random heroic have the disenchant option although I admit it didn't drop that much since it only counts for randoms/group containing at least 1 enchanter)
    Last edited by Twinkeltoe; 2010-11-28 at 02:16 AM.

Because you can make a shit ton of gold with it, but Shhhhhhhhhhhhh.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think the Skinning should give EXP as the other gathering profession. Even though we get EXP from killing a mob to skinn, we still have to waste time Skinning it.

i agree. its a wasted profession

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkeltoe View Post
    Because cloth is also used for first aid?
    Because unlike cloth there are multible types of leather? (just like mining/herbalism)
    Because Linen CLOTH, Wool CLOTH, Silk CLOTH, Mageweave, RuneCLOTH, and Netherweave don't exist right?

Also Leather is used by other professions, maybe not so much endgame items but there are still some items created by Tailors, Blacksmiths, and Engineering.

Skinners are Winners

10+ Year Old Account
    they made herbing and mining give xp to make up for the xp you get from killing the mob you needed to skin or grab cloth from o_O

10+ Year Old Account
    Its a great proffesion. I like it because you dont have to go out of your way to get the skins, unlike mining and herbing. You see a node of your map, you have to run cross country to get it and mine it, where as skinning you can be leveling and as you kill the beasts, the skins are right there, no moving. Its the lazy mans spec, and i dont know how much exp mining/herb reward, but it cant be that substantial. Ergo, id imagine the Distance<displacement would make the skinning proffesions exp gain greater than or equal to that of mining or herbing.
    Last edited by Dark Side; 2010-11-28 at 02:21 AM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    I think the Skinning should give EXP as the other gathering profession. Even though we get EXP from killing a mob to skinn, we still have to waste time Skinning it.
    That whopping 1-2 seconds is so hard.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Skinning doesn't give exp because having the nodes drop at your feet while you level is super convenient. Having to run all over for herbs and ore nodes takes time away from killing things, far more than the 2 sec skinning cast does, so they award token exp to make up for the lost time.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight View Post
    Because Linen CLOTH, Wool CLOTH, Silk CLOTH, Mageweave, RuneCLOTH, and Netherweave don't exist right?
    You missed fellcloth and the cloths you can make ((primal)mooncloth, shadowcloth and spellcloth).

However, from the farmable cloth TBC only brought Netherweave cloth and WotLK only broth Frostweave cloth while TBC brought Crystal Infused Leather, Thick Clefthoof Leather, Knothide Leather Scraps, Knothide Leather and heavy Knothide Leather.
    WotLK brought Borean Leather Scraps, Borean Leather and Heavy Borean Leather Scraps.
    So Bliz IS reducing the numbers of leather but there are still more types of farmable types of leather per expansion then types cloth.

Also Leather is used by other professions, maybe not so much endgame items but there are still some items created by Tailors, Blacksmiths, and Engineering.
    So is cloth...

Just make enchanting mats drop off mobs that drops greens aswell, seriuslly the game isn't about making everything the same, i agree it should give XP to skil or combine lesser skins to greater skins but then again ppl would sell/buy lesser skins for their alts and make alts level up from only that, pricy sure but id do it since there's no kind of gold sink in Cataclysm and gold isn't a problem anymore.

Keep skinning as a prof, pl0x. I likes it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I stand by my opinion. Wouldn't it be even more convenient to get skins if it dropped off a carcass as well, so then the "node" wouldn't matter? It's more about salvaging, than gathering, like cloth. Cloth is ONLY gathered from dead bodies or chests, the same as Leather. Also, leveling with mining and herbing is incredibly lucrative as far as EXP gained and distance compared. I've interacted with several people who are just going about their business gathering while questing and are shocked at how quickly they level compared to just grinding mobs, which is basically the only argument for skinning working with leveling. If you're running across a map to get to a node, you're doing it wrong, I think. Unless you're grinding nodes, they're reasonable and not that out-of-the-way, and you always have the option of not going to that node.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkeltoe View Post
    WotLK brought Borean Leather Scraps, Borean Leather and Heavy Borean Leather Scraps.
    You also missed Icy Dragonscale, Nerubian Chitin and Jomungar Scale plus the random Arctic Fur

10+ Year Old Account
    Both Skinning and LW are really dull professions with near-zero personality.

They should be rolled into one LW+Skinning profession, similar to Enchanting+Disenchanting. If that makes it too easy to be a Leatherworker, reduce the relative drop rate of "quality" leather from mobs.

Oh.. My.. God..
    This is petty beyond belief.

Why dont we start complaining about how M&Ms should be color coded while we're at it?
    Or how it should be called a Burger with Cheese because Cheeseburger is misleading?
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines) :-(

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with you Lovestar, I have a Leatherworker and I'm a little dismayed over how that's all still playing out. I wish Armor-creating professions had just a little more oomph to them.