HTC Desire or Desire HD

I know MMO-champion might not be the right place to take this up with but I really dont feel like regging up for a new site and I'm generally happy with what this community has to say.

So here's the dealio!

Yesterday I put msyelf in queue for an HTC Desire HD which will get in stock week 50 (It's week 48 now). At the point I had ordered the smartphone I knew I might not even get it due to the long queues..
    So when I get home about 40 minutes later I get a call from the shop I had ordered it from and was told he couldnt even put me in a queue since they had decided to stop them all due to the high demand of the HTC Desire HD.

One thing you must know is that I can get the regular HTC Desire right now at the same price (Don't ask me how they both can cost the exact same ammount of money - I asked several times and tried to find loop holes but I couldnt find any.. There has to be a hitch doesnt it? :P)

So what's on my mind right now is that if I don't get the Desire HD in 2 weeks I will go grab a regular Desire, but.. Gah Im not sure what to say really!

I stood there grabbing, touching and feeling on both of the phones and I have to say the Desire HD might feel just a tad bit too clumsy, it feels good when letting it rest in one hand and using the other hand for touching whilst the regular Desire feels awesome holding!

So the main differences in my eyes between them both are the following!

The regular Desire feels better in the hand but the Desire HD has a better camera (5 megapixel Vs. 8 Megapixel) It has a slightly better processor and it can be used as a router (seeing as I got a subscription that allows me up to 6Mbit internet speed this could be very useful when bringing my laptop outside the house).

So what the hell am I doing here? I'll tell you! I need your opinion on what to do! Get the regular Desire right now, Wait for the Desire HD untill It's available (Even though I might have to wait a very long time for it) or Wait till week 50 and hope I get lucky and if not - grab a regular Desire?

And also I'm sorry if this was a bad forum to post on but It was the best offtopic section I could chose from!

Deleted
    Yo.

I work for a network operator's customer support and find this quite interesting.

To begin with, you should call your customer support. They don't share stocks with stores and can most often seal the same, sometimes better, deals for a subscription. That is assuming you're willing to extend the binding period of your contract. This is good because it may 1.) help you get the phone faster, 2.) help you get a better deal for a subscription, and 3.) don't completely trust someone who works solely with sales. It's quite common they don't give accurate information, or perhaps are misinformed themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Berniee View Post
    One thing you must know is that I can get the regular HTC Desire right now at the same price (Don't ask me how they both can cost the exact same ammount of money - I asked several times and tried to find loop holes but I couldnt find any.. There has to be a hitch doesnt it? :P)
    It's not very weird. The old phone will drop in price, the new phone is produced in large amounts and is highly desired (;P), making stores and operators comptete by having the best prices for the phone.

I personally would look around. There are many stores. :-)

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    I wouldn't be too concerned about the camera difference. An 8 megapixel cell phone camera is still a cell phone camera and is just going to take really large crappy pictures.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    I wouldn't be too concerned about the camera difference. An 8 megapixel cell phone camera is still a cell phone camera and is just going to take really large crappy pictures.
    Aye. Things like good auto-focus, short shutter speed and similar are worth way more for a cell phone camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Iyona View Post
    Yo.

I work for a network operator's customer support and find this quite interesting.

To begin with, you should call your customer support. They don't share stocks with stores and can most often seal the same, sometimes better, deals for a subscription. That is assuming you're willing to extend the binding period of your contract. This is good because it may 1.) help you get the phone faster, 2.) help you get a better deal for a subscription, and 3.) don't completely trust someone who works solely with sales. It's quite common they don't give accurate information, or perhaps are misinformed themselves.

It's not very weird. The old phone will drop in price, the new phone is produced in large amounts and is highly desired (;P), making stores and operators comptete by having the best prices for the phone.

I personally would look around. There are many stores. :-)

That's exactly what I did, I went to 3(three) which is a phone subscription company and I extended my subscription for 24 months in order to get this deal. I can't get the phone any faster since there's jsut not enough of them, they are such a high demand here in sweden!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Berniee View Post
    That's exactly what I did, I went to 3(three) which is a phone subscription company and I extended my subscription for 24 months in order to get this deal. I can't get the phone any faster since there's jsut not enough of them, they are such a high demand here in sweden!
    I'm at Tele2 Sweden, I believe we still have the phone in stock. Give me a call sometime. ;-)

A suggestion, though, is to wait. Idk if you heard, but the 4G-net has been released by Tele2 and Telenor in Sweden's major citites since earlier this month, and will be extended to most cities during next year. I have no information over how 3 (Three) will handle this. Today's phones don't support the 4G-net, but they will be released soon enough. Download speeds of up to 80 Mbt/s almost feel unrealistic for a mobile net. Personally I'm not buying a new phone until I have 4G locally, haw haw.

PM me your number and I might actually swap over to Tele2

Deleted
    Have you seen if the supplier sells the Desire Z?

Also you should see if they do SIM only contracts and just (if you have enough money) buy a SIM free Desire HD.

I just finished working as an O2 in store tech guy, so I'm super biased for Android :P

My honest opinion is to wait until the LG Star comes out or wait to see when HTC release their Tegra 2 phone (if they actually do).

The LG star is likely going to be released with 2.3 but the leaks are showing 2.2 on it. The LG has the Tegra 2 on it (Nvidia's dual core processing beast) and a large HD size screen. Also LG are relatively quick at updating their phones to the latest version of Android.

If want opinions from a larger community you could try XDA-developers.com