Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Experience Gains 1-85

Experience Gains 1-85
    Originally Posted by Nethaera (Blue Tracker)
    We recently made a change to the way experience is calculated and wanted to take some time to explain this change in order to clear up some confusion some may be having in regard to their rate of progress. If you are currently at the maximum level that you can be for an expansion (or higher), killing creatures from that expansion will now grant 10% of normal experience.

Examples:
    • Level 60 or higher players get 10% normal experience for killing creatures in Azeroth (“Old world” content)
    • Level 70 or higher players get 10% of normal experience for killing Burning Crusade creatures.
    • Level 80 or higher players get 10% of normal experience for killing Lich King creatures.
    • Level 85 or higher players get 10% of normal experience for killing Cataclysm creatures.

What does this mean for those that have Cataclysm and are leveling up new characters? This means that you will gain normal experience through to level 60 and will then need to move on to The Burning Crusade zones until you reach level 70 and Wrath of the Lich King zones until you reach level 80. Once you reach 80, it is expected that you will be continuing your leveling adventures in the new Cataclysm zones and dungeons. We have made this change so that players will continue to progress through the appropriate content for their level versus grinding on quick re spawns in a less ideal location.

This change will also affect hunter pets and their leveling rate if the player is at max level, however, this is an unintended change that we will be addressing in the future.

It makes sense, players shouldn't be doing old content when new content is out like this.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account
    This should've been released about a month ago at the minimum. Huge change at the last minute kind of sucks.

i dont quite get this so what this means is that you pretty much have to stay in azeroth till 60, outlands till 70 and northrend to 80?

That might be interesting once their servers actually figure out how to freaking update my game account!!

it means that you have to leave azeroth at 60, outlands at 70 and northrend at 80. Pretty much what most people would be doing anyway.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Udderchaos View Post
    i dont quite get this so what this means is that you pretty much have to stay in azeroth till 60, outlands till 70 and northrend to 80?
    What it means is that at 60 you have to move to Outland to continue getting exp from mobs at a normal rate, at 70 you have to move to Northrend, and at 80 you have to move to Cataclysm zones. You are able to leave for the expansion areas two levels early, say at 58 and 68 if you wish, but Cataclysm zones will not offer quests until 80. So you have to stay in Northrend until 80.

Quote Originally Posted by ackis View Post
    This should've been released about a month ago at the minimum. Huge change at the last minute kind of sucks.
    Anyone planning to level from 80-81 by killing Northrend creatures sucks.

This shouldn't make a dent in anyone's plans.

They're just trying to make sure people aren't doing green quests...i.e. I was contemplating maybe keeping one of my alts in Northrend until like 82 or something. If I didn't hate Northrend so much anyway. They're trying to make sure you are experiencing "on level" new content.

10+ Year Old Account
    This means that when you hit 60+, all old-world mobs will give 10% of the experience they normally would if you were at that level. At 70+, all outland creatures will give 10% of their normal xp. At 80+, all northrend creatures will give 10% of their normal xp. And at 85+, all cataclysm mobs will give 10% normal xp.

This is basically to prevent people from using old content to level. Like, if you were 80, it prevents you from going to old instances to level to 83 and get a jump on everyone else.

However, there's no mention of quest xp doing the same so many of my friends will still be able to complete the old world quests and go into Outlands as a level 62. So it encourages questing instead of grinding mobs. I like it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Kinda lame considering I got to 62 on my dwarf shaman from old zones cuz I don't like outlands very much after doing it 9-10 times.
    Oh well.

Deleted
    So thats why my pet levelling was really slow earlier

The only thing about this that annoyed me was that, so far as I can tell, it wasn't documented until today, but I went out to level my new Corehound (yes, it was indeed Chromaggus) last night and found I was getting next to nothing for experience after doing a number of the AoE packs in western Icecrown. Annoying, but I'm over it.

The simplicity... made me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ackis View Post
    I completely agree with Ackis' sentiments.

Quote Originally Posted by TaelenFordring View Post
    It makes sense, players shouldn't be doing old content when new content is out like this.
    Wait, how player 85 getting 10% from monsters makes sense? They don't get ANY experience, and that thing serves only the sadistic desire of screwing up hunters developers have.
    If people can't go over 85, there is no need to make cataclysm monsters give 10%. WTG Blizz, now hunter pets are stuck in 82 for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by FHornsrule99 View Post
    it means that you have to leave azeroth at 60, outlands at 70 and northrend at 80. Pretty much what most people would be doing anyway.
    Not exactly.. you used to leave 2 levels prior to maxing our your character on said content (58 for the Dark Portal, 68 for Northrend)... Now you actually have to stay in your content for the whole haul that an 'expansion' of WoW would carry you, assuming as if you didn't have the next content expansion yet...

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like to say that I am a fan, to me this makes perfect sense. And honestly I know that some people will want to get the quest achieves and that is understandable, and I guess that does suck alittle for them but its really to ensure content flow with the level range and I like that

10+ Year Old Account
    No, this means that you DON'T want to stay in azeroth once you hit 60, you DON'T want to stay in outlands when you hit 70, and you DON'T want to stay in northrend once you hit 80. Essentially it is saying that once you outlevel the content, you should move on. You can still go to outlands at 58, northrend at 68, and potentially cataclysm zones once you hit 78 (although I do not know what level the mobs and quests are, so this might not be ideal).

Krab