*Custom Built PC*

So, I'm ordering the parts for a PC from Newegg and the total comes out to be around $1000.

I really would rather pay a professional to do it than try it myself. Do you guys there how I would find someone able to do this? I called Microcenter and they said they only will do it if you use stuff from their store.

If anyone knows how to locate a business, my Zip is 60646.

Also I would not feel comfortable leaving it somewhere.
    Former raider of Accession [US-Stormreaver]

Your best bet is to do it yourself, trust me I was in the same boat as you its not as hard to build a computer as you think. If you still don't feel comfortable try and find some you know who does that kind of thing. If not you can always find some dude on Craigslist.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvdatboi View Post
    Your best bet is to do it yourself, trust me I was in the same boat as you its not as hard to build a computer as you think. If you still don't feel comfortable try and find some you know who does that kind of thing. If not you can always find some dude on Craigslist.
    This for the most part. Honestly as long as you buy everything retail and not OEM(without box and instructions) you will be fine. 9 times out of ten if you keep the motherboard manual next to you at all times you can pretty much figure everything out on your own, because everything on a motherboard is labeled as are most of the cords you will need to plug in. thats how i learned to do it. also if you really need instruction in sure there are a couple of tutorials for things on youtube or something of that sort.
    Personal Rig: AMD FX-8350 / Gigabyte Windforce G1-GAMING GTX 980 / 8-GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600Mhz / EVGA SuperNOVA 750w PSU / Corsair Carbide Air 540 / NZXT Kraken x60

Learn to build it yourself. It's worth the time and it will help you in the future with hardware problems and what not. Glad I learned how to build my own pc.

"Scientists explore what is; engineers create what has not been." -Theodore Von Karman

Deleted
    Not trying to boast or anything of the sorts, but the first time I built my own high-end PC was when I was 13 years old. It really isn't that difficult, and there are numerous of great guides available on the internet that describe every step that has to be done in great detail. That, in conjunction with the manuals you get with the parts, should be more than enough to reduce it to a very expensive lego set.

10+ Year Old Account
    ok building it your self is a great advice and i am just adding one more because i don't know the extent of your experience, i have not build one in a long time but one thing i needed was a "static protector" i think they are called. just for peace of mind.

I agree with learning to build the system yourself but it might help if you have a friend with you who has some experience with what you're doing. As long as your careful and take your time you shouldn't have any problems. Often times the manufacturer of the motherboard will have some form of manual or guide for you to follow if not try google. Just remember that force is usually the very last resort, if it doesn't fit look for clips that need opened or make sure that nothing is in the way.

Thanks for the all replies guys.

I'm just nervous handling a ton of money worth of parts.

I know that
    -My parts are compatible.
    -Someone mentioned you need a "static protector", I will be using a static wristguard.

I think it just comes down to me getting all the parts and taking the time to put it together. I'm just nervous I won't know what to plug all the cables into

I have to agree, When i built my PC i was scared. But once i got it all together and it had a few issues and i fixxed it when i get my new PC i will stick it together in like 5mins now :P

Quote Originally Posted by -Aendos View Post
    Thanks for the all replies guys.

I'm just nervous handling a ton of money worth of parts.

I know that
    -My parts are compatible.
    -Someone mentioned you need a "static protector", I will be using a static wristguard.

I think it just comes down to me getting all the parts and taking the time to put it together. I'm just nervous I won't know what to plug all the cables into
    Getting everything mounted is relatively easy. Getting it mounted with pretty cable-work is harder. But luckily, that's hardly the crucial parts
    You should have no troubles if you keep the manuals close. If you do, most guides on the interwebs should fill in the gaps.

If you dont have a static wristguard you can just place one of your hand on a metal piece of your case when you are handling the processor.
    Personal Rig: AMD FX-8350 / Gigabyte Windforce G1-GAMING GTX 980 / 8-GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600Mhz / EVGA SuperNOVA 750w PSU / Corsair Carbide Air 540 / NZXT Kraken x60

specs

Intel Core i5-760@4.0GHz
    CM Hyper 212 cpu cooler
    GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3
    Nvidia GTX 460
    4GB DDR3 1600 ram
    CM Storm Scout case

-My Build-

Could anyone who has a decent knowledge of Computers please review this for me? (Or help cut cost through combos/replacements)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116754

Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 $90
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119197

CPU: Intel Core i5-760 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 Quad-Core $205
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115067

Motherboard: GigaByte GA-P5 ATX $120
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128425

GPU: GigaByte GTX 460 1GB $185

PSU: Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W $90

Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212+ $30
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103065

Still looking for a good HDD, RAM, Mouse, Keyboard, and Monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by -Aendos View Post
    Could anyone who has a decent knowledge of Computers please review this for me? (Or help cut cost through combos/replacements)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116754

Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 $90
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119197

CPU: Intel Core i5-760 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 Quad-Core $205
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115067

Motherboard: GigaByte GA-P5 ATX $120
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128425

GPU: GigaByte GTX 460 1GB $185

PSU: Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W $90

Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212+ $30
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103065

Still looking for a good HDD, RAM, Mouse, Keyboard, and Monitor.
    It does look good. I see no real issue with anything there. Possibly swap the MoBo to a Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 instead of USB3?
    Is the PSU 80+ certified? It's from Corsair so it's good quality, and a bit overkill to your setup, but why settle for bad? At the price, I'd guess it is.
    As for HDD, I'd recommend Samsung Spinpoint F3, 1TB 32MB cache SATA II 7200 RPM. A very good mechanical drive with good price-value - not to mention speed and the quietness.
    RAM? Corsair 2x2048 XMS3 1600MHz? I use them.

Mouse, keyboard and monitor. This is so personal that it's hard for anyone to tell you what you enjoy, or what's best for you.

This is what I have:
    I went to a store and checked how my keyboard would work out before I bought it (online).
    I went with MX518 (very pleased, will replace with another if it breaks down) as a mouse, a G110-keyboard (pleased so far, not a lot of testing, haven't had it as long), both Logitech.
    Monitor? BenQ 24" TFT G2420HDBL. Head = Blown

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    It does look good. I see no real issue with anything there. Possibly swap the MoBo to a Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 instead of USB3?
    Is the PSU 80+ certified? It's from Corsair so it's good quality, and a bit overkill to your setup, but why settle for bad? At the price, I'd guess it is.
    As for HDD, I'd recommend Samsung Spinpoint F3, 1TB 32MB cache SATA II 7200 RPM. A very good mechanical drive with good price-value - not to mention speed and the quietness.
    RAM? Corsair 2x2048 XMS3 1600MHz? I use them.

Mouse, keyboard and monitor. This is so personal that it's hard for anyone to tell you what you enjoy, or what's best for you.

This is what I have:
    I went to a store and checked how my keyboard would work out before I bought it (online).
    I went with MX518 (very pleased, will replace with another if it breaks down) as a mouse, a G110-keyboard (pleased so far, not a lot of testing, haven't had it as long), both Logitech.
    Monitor? BenQ 24" TFT G2420HDBL. Head = Blown
    Sorry, forgot the PSU link.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139005
    it is 80+ Certified.

Honestly building a computer is not as hard as it sounds - Check out this video that a friend of mine (Linus) made. He works for NCIX Canada which has been around longer then Newegg and is essentially the Canadian Equivalent. He will walk you through all the steps of building a computer, watch the video, watch it again, watch while building and you'll be fine.

Now onto your build, the Power Supply is 80 PLUS Certified and will be enough to power the system, you do not need to upgrade to anything more. As for the other things you're looking into generally the best Hard Drive manufacturer is Western Digital so you cannot go wrong with a Hard Drive from them - They generally have 3 - 5 year warranties and you'll want to look at either a 32MB or 64MB cache model with at least 640GB of HD space as that's about the sweet point where prices are just low enough that they're good but just high enough that you don't feel like you're robbing the company.

Memory (RAM): You can choose what you like really.
    G.Skill - Good Value, Decent Performance, Decent Warranty.
    Corsair - Medium Value, Great Performance, Warranty Varies (Generally good).
    Mushkin - Good Value, Good Performance, Great Warranties and Customer Service is the best I've seen.
    Patriot - Same as Corsair really.
    OCZ - Same as Corsair and Patriot but the warranties I have seen aren't always as clearly labeled as they should be. I believe they cover 2 years Parts, 1 year labor on a lot of models.

Monitor
    This is really your choice, I personally will not choose anything but Samsung - this is NOT the place to cut quality. Samsung offers a wide variety of models, I personally will never recommend any Acer monitors they are plagued with issues and the company as a whole has absolutely no American or Canadian based support which makes for a large hassle when you need to return or repair something.

Mouse, Keyboard, Speakers, etc
    Personal Preference, Razer, Logitech, Steelseries, etc are all good for gaming Peripherals and Logitech, Bose and SOME creative set's are good for Audio. For headsets theirs no argument it's either steelseries or razer with companies like sennheiser offering some of the best sound quality ever in headsets but requiring you to chop off a limb to pay for them.

PS: For you technology nut's he unboxes new products and also posts videos of him Benchmarking various Custom Builds that he does for NCIX. The video linked is on his Business account which he uses for videos NCIX require him to make and also ask him to do for his employment, his personal channel with a lot of Unboxing and more laid back type reviews is LinusTechTips.
    Last edited by ThewF; 2010-12-12 at 09:15 PM.