Putting on the I/O shield, and another question

Alright.

1.) The i/o shield for the mobo. installing it seems as easy as just pushing into the back of the case from the inside, but there are also a bunch of crazy tabs on it that obviously would get in the way of the mobo ports. Honestly this seems like a stupid question but do I just simply bend them back and put the mobo in place, then bend them back into position? they feel pretty fragile.

2.) the standoffs on the back of the case are screwed in, but is there another piece required on the back so they don't get loose and come out? Again, stupid question probably but I don't want to take any questions.

Thanks!

15+ Year Old Account
    standoffs wont come loose, they're on there pretty well

I/O shield: if its what i'm thinking of, tabs will only be "blocking" ports that a metal square goes into. the tabs are meant to push on either side of the motherboard attachment that goes into them. usually the audio ports are all located in one "module" (as opposed to three or six individual audio connections) that is a box-shape; this will have tabs that get bent back just enough that they fit on the outside of the box and press against it

very hard to explain, sorry
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

1. If you're talking about the aluminum/metal tabs that are part of the back of the case, then yes feel free to pop those out completely. Usually they show a little icon of a screwdriver or something of the sort. Just their way of telling you to pop the tabs out with a screwdriver or something similar to make room for your I/O shield, video cards or anything else that is coming out of the back of your case.

2. No, if you have little brass standoffs installed in the correct places to mount the motherboard into the case, there is nothing else needed to be done on your part. Standoffs screwed into the case, screws screw on the motherboard into the standoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    standoffs wont come loose, they're on there pretty well

I/O shield: if its what i'm thinking of, tabs will only be "blocking" ports that a metal square goes into. the tabs are meant to push on either side of the motherboard attachment that goes into them. usually the audio ports are all located in one "module" (as opposed to three or six individual audio connections) that is a box-shape; this will have tabs that get bent back just enough that they fit on the outside of the box and press against it

very hard to explain, sorry
    I think I understand what you mean, anyway.

Sorry for the big picture if it stretches your screen (edit: size is smaller than i thought >_>). But, those tabs that are basically covering the slots, i'm guessing I'll just pull them back and hope they don't snap off, and then secure them to the mobo. Guessing I'll do that now and then install the mobo into the case once I get the cpu seated.

15+ Year Old Account
    ya - pretty much the rule is 'if it blocks a port, bend it back'

it's pretty flexible material, i wouldnt worry about breaking tabs off unless you sit there and bend them back and forth a bunch
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    ya - pretty much the rule is 'if it blocks a port, bend it back'

it's pretty flexible material, i wouldnt worry about breaking tabs off unless you sit there and bend them back and forth a bunch
    At this rate it's looking like that might happen >_> but shield is being a pain in the ass to put on. idk why but i can't get it to fit right on over the ports.

Deleted
    Is it the shield that came with the motherboard or just the same one that was in the case? They are actually different sizes like i went from foxconn to an asus mobo and had to change shield cos they were 1/4 inch out off line.

It came with the mobo. The case didn't have one. I just popped the shield in place and i'll figure it out when it comes to installing the mobo. Or if all else fails i'll just not use the shield, if it's not necessary.

10+ Year Old Account
    From my (limited) experience, a properly-fit "metal back ports thingy" (what, it's what I call it ) will just sort of "click" into place if you slide the mainboard in laterally while angling it down into the case. The prongy-looking tabs don't interfere with anything.

If the tabs are actually blocking ports, then like Romandix said, something seems to be sized or selected wrong. However, like Demon said, if you can mangle it into working, it shouldn't hurt anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a city on the back of a roaming colossus
    My last Build i just left the damn thing off. So very,very annoying. >
    "Never judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes, because then you're a mile away, and you have his shoes." - Douglas Adams

Deleted
    Break off some of the spring metal parts if they are annoying. I installed a few a month ago and they almost covered up the edge of the port meaning that anything thats put into it won't be 100% in.

Put it in and push your motherboard close to it, then slowly slide it in and see which springs are a possible problem. Once the motherboard is screwed down neither the I/O shield nor the motherboard will move so the springs can be nothing more but an annoyance. For picture reference, Jaarh's picture, the small diagonal metal pieces that push the motherboard away when put on.

You will find on some of the ports higher up with the blocks on the motherboard, will be covered a bit with the small metal parts, those can be the most annoying. I just bend them over the top leaving the port completely free. Don't be afraid to bend things.

If you need any more help, don't hesitate to PM me.
    Last edited by mmoc18646deaeb; 2011-01-05 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortrall View Post
    My last Build i just left the damn thing off. So very,very annoying. >
    wow. i hope you enjoy your electronics getting dusty...
    ghetto cancer

Deleted
    I had the same problem, however since it was my first build I thought it was normal and just mashed the mobo into it, having no issues, maybe I was lucky. You can see these "tabs" though when looking at the ports, but they don't prevent anything coming inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    I had the same problem, however since it was my first build I thought it was normal and just mashed the mobo into it, having no issues, maybe I was lucky. You can see these "tabs" though when looking at the ports, but they don't prevent anything coming inside.
    Yeah that's what mine is like right now. It looks kind of ugly but it's the back of the tower so i'm not too concerned :P. I'll take the time to flatten it out some time later on.

Some holes have tabs to be removed. Some, however, have spring tabs that are meant to go on top of the assembly for the backpanel.

In this picture, you can see a spring tab in the hole for the mouse/keyboard assembly, one in the hole for the left USB ports, and one above the ethernet port hole.

Here you can see where the spring tab for the USB and ethernet ports was not aligned correctly, and the tab has gone inside the ports.
    Last edited by FlawlessSoul; 2011-01-06 at 12:33 AM.

The one that came with my Motherboard wouldn't snap on my damn case. I just used the motherboard to hold it in place.