Page 1 of 14
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why is there a huge bias against players who began after BC?

First off I'm going to admit that I began in mid-Wrath (August of 2009). I know some people are automatically going to not listen to anything I say now, but you're just validating my point.

Why is there this bias by a decent amount of veteran players (specifically those who began in Classic/BC) against anyone who began in Wrath/Cata/MoP? I seriously don't understand it. Going on to any sort of forum and saying that you began playing after BC is pretty much an invitation to be harassed and screamed at by the other people there. I've had numerous issues different times with elitist pricks who act all high and mighty JUST because they've been playing since BC or Classic.

I really don't get it.
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

10+ Year Old Account
    People that played in BC still play?

I kid. I kid.
    I like sandwiches

Because they think it makes their opinion on the game matter more than people who didn't start then. It strokes their ego other something. It's quite sad really. And this is coming from a guy who started in TBC so I know what I'm talking about .
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by phillipisawarlock View Post
    Because they think it makes their opinion on the game matter more than people who didn't start then. It strokes their ego other something. It's quite sad really. And this is coming from a guy who started in TBC so I know what I'm talking about .
    As opposed to people who started after TBC, who don't know what they are talking about...?

Because they are rude and egotistical, trust me there are many more folks out there, that don't care when you started playing, only that your a nice person and enjoy the game!

Quote Originally Posted by Mammoon View Post
    As opposed to people who started after TBC, who don't know what they are talking about...?
    It was meant to be irony.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Separating bias from solipsistic application and integration of recreational interests is not something consumer culture in the age of the internet facilitates.

i.e. Consumer is always right. The internet would appear to think it is anti-consumer/material in philosophy, but human nature breeds the "Nobody is wrong on the internet" philosophy due to things like the greater internet fuckwad theory and "intellectual" egotism bred by cultures such as WoW where people judge others based on their performance in a hobby
    Last edited by Confirm Deny; 2012-12-13 at 04:08 AM.
    It wasn't long ago / I was just like you / And now I think I'm sick and I wanna go home!
    Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    what if SEARING WOLVES? The possibilities?!!?

Because the game changed a lot in Wrath. It was far less forgiving back in Vanilla and BC. I started at the very end of Vanilla and never saw it's end game because I was still leveling but I saw BC's end game. Doing 5 mans required CC and everyone you grouped with expected it and knew how to do it. The heroics in BC were hard. There were two birds in heroic Sethekk Halls that hit like truck and you could not CC them, so I had my group do a bunch of buff and debuff stacking to survive tanking them. I had my lock use the curse that reduces their damage, I used T-clap and demo shout and commanding shout, I had my shaman put down every totem possible to mitigate damage. In some groups, I had an off tank strategy I used with ferals or enhance shaman when there were too many mobs to CC. The game rewarded my ability to find strategies to get through these. Now people with raid gear had a much easier time with these dungeons.

Wrath reduced the amount of strategy needed and make things AoE fests. Then they killed tiered raiding. Then LFD came about and was a good improvement to the game because getting a group together was a real pain. But then Cata bought back CC but it wasn't compatible with the LFD tool. Not going to mark and do shit with abusive 15 year olds in the raid that press the space bar. While BC had it's issues with accessibility (I only ever got to see Kara, Gruul, and Mags and most of that was at the end of the expansion). MOP I feel is the first expansion that got everything right, making good daily hubs like the ones I loved in BC (and I only do the MOP sparingly at this point to match my valor intake since I have all expansion to get them to exalted) and LFD and LFG allows for one to play without a play schedule and having to have a large group of friends to be able to dungeon or raid.

But before we got to MOP, we got the crapfest of Wrath and Cata. We feel that those expansions, while improving the game in many areas, left behind an end game design that felt sloppy compared to BC and Vanilla (and those by design, were very interesting, but required way too much commitment to do).

What it really comes down to is different generations. It's how I was born in the early 80s but work a job surrounded by 90s kids. We don't have the same memories. 90s kids didn't watch He-Man growing up or have He-Man toys. 90s kids missed a lot of good 80s and early 90s music. 90s kids were too young to see the original Nicktoons except Rugrats which ran way too long. So yeah, for the same reasons, we see Wrath babies (as they are called) as noobs that didn't walk up hill both ways through snow.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not even gonna respond here, I don't talk to players that didn't start in vanilla.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think its because they view vanilla as more hard core than MoP today. Back then, mounts werent acquired until 40, and thats if you were able to afford them. There were no flying mounts whatsoever. Then 10g was quite a bit. There was no dungeonfinder. You had to walk to the dungeon with other people. You had to discover flight paths. Having a 90 today is nothing like having a 60 then. Leveling was much more time sucking. Classes have changed so much for the most part. Epics were actually epic. Either extremely rare drops or difficult to get.

I played a bit in vanilla/bc and stopped until about mid cata. Best change has been dungeon finder for leveling, but it is also the worst. Now no one ever leaves stormwind/orgrimmar endgame. It was much more party friendly then, now if you need help on a quest the person who may have helped you is most likely phased.
    Why is there no "Demonhunter" hero class yet? He was only the coolest hero in WC3. Get busy Blizzard.

It's not a WoW thing. It's just a people thing. Everyone wants to feel like they were one of the first to do something "before it was cool."

10+ Year Old Account
    i would post something but i stopped reading after i was you had joined mid Wotlk

OT its because raiding and the whole game itself was a lot different back then, and harder imo. To be a raider, and a hardcore badass one, you needed to farm t4 content before moving on to t5, then once you farm t5 content, you ready for the big t6. It was just a lot cooler back then, you saw people sitting in lots of different gear, not like it is today when everybody has the same looking tier just with different stats
    "BC was a hot chick that took alot of work but was rewarding in the end, Cata is the drunk chick that supplied similar results with less effort." -couldnt have said it better.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Give up trying to understand her, women tend to handle problems with emotion rather than logic.

Quote Originally Posted by Byniri View Post
    elitist pricks who act all high and mighty JUST because they've been playing since BC or Classic.
    I think you answered your own question. JUST because they've been playing since BC or classic. Not because they're actually good gamers. The fact that it took them since classic or BC to get even as good as they're means they assume everyone else is as bad as they were unless they've also played the game for 7 years.

But in reality, it doens't take 7 years to get good at this game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because people like to feel elitist about some really dumb shit.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Evi1Toad View Post
    I think its because they view vanilla as more hard core than MoP today. Back then, mounts werent acquired until 40, and thats if you were able to afford them. There were no flying mounts whatsoever. Then 10g was quite a bit. There was no dungeonfinder. You had to walk to the dungeon with other people. You had to discover flight paths. Having a 90 today is nothing like having a 60 then. Leveling was much more time sucking. Classes have changed so much for the most part. Epics were actually epic. Either extremely rare drops or difficult to get.
    Us vanilla folk had to head out Californee-way to get our epics, wasn't no work round Orgrimmar in those days. Two of my guildies died from gear failure... gear failure! and their little tabards stuck out like a hellboar bladder...

Quote Originally Posted by Evi1Toad View Post

I played a bit in vanilla/bc and stopped until about mid cata. Best change has been dungeon finder for leveling, but it is also the worst. Now no one ever leaves stormwind/orgrimmar endgame. It was much more party friendly then, now if you need help on a quest the person who may have helped you is most likely phased.
    I'd argue with best change. Best change for leveling was items glow on the ground and you get a little blue helper on your map to say where they are.

Also, Most of the above is true. Though, most of the people that rag for you not playing in vanilla were never hard core, either. Back in Vanilla, the game had about 5 million-6 million. And raiders back then were about 5% to see Molten Core/Blackwing Lair, and less than 1% that saw Naxxramas as current content. 1% of that 6mil is 60,000. Blizzard has stated numberous times they have far more newer player than old. How many of that, what would now be .5% do you think still play?

Most of the people that are claiming this or give you shit, never saw the inside of a raid back in 2005-2007.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not exclusive to WoW though. YOu see this in a lot of settings: company promotion, even school clubs. Seniority is the term used. People like to feel like being there longer means something.

Quote Originally Posted by Outofmana View Post
    I'm not even gonna respond here, I don't talk to players that didn't start in vanilla.

But you did respond

Because of idiots with the special snowflake syndrome.

While I started during Vanilla, I look at all players equally when I first meet them: Dumb as hell. When I see what they can do, then I change my opinion of them to better reflect how they are.

I personally don't care when people started, but if you're a bad, then I'm going to call you out, not because you started at a certain time.

---------- Post added 2012-12-13 at 12:16 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Outofmana View Post
    I guess you're having fun talking to < 5~10% of the current population then, huh?
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Without sounding too much of a douche, it largely boils down to "Wrath Babies" being too demanding, bringing with them an era of entitlement because of it. This has a knock on effect in Cataclysm where the content was remotely challenging and the, largely "Wrath Baby" vocal minority, cried for nerfs which made almost all of the content outside of HC mode trivial.

That isn't to say that everyone who started post-BC is a Wrath Baby, but it is generally those who started after the launch of Wrath who call for nerfs quickest for the most trivial of things, such as Heroics, Quests, Rep gains and such. A further point I'd make is that if you're in favour of anything like those listed, it doesn't make you a Wrath Baby if you started in Vanilla through to Mists, it's just a sweeping generalisation that's stuck.

To try and put it into my perspective, I personally started playing Jan 19 2005, I didn't start raiding until Burning Crusade, I didn't start raiding in a proper progressional manner until Wrath and I quit raiding in Cata with a brief stint for a few months in Mists which I've since packed up doing. While I prefer almost everything about BC(Minus the raid model which forced you to rerun old content to gear up alts/trials), largely because I was willing to invest time and effort into something which I felt was rewarding and the raiding philosophy for Vanilla and BC appealed more to me, I'll admit that Wrath made it more accessible; which is great, don't get me wrong. More people raiding is great, so long as it's proper MMO/RPG raiding and not some watered down shit like LFR, ToCr or DS. So to me, anyone claiming that Wrath, Cata or Mists is the pinnacle of WoW is wrong, but it's a purely subjective topic. I hate LFR/D because it takes away from the raiding/grouping experience, while I love the strides that have been taken to make PvP more accessible (Best PvE gear = Winner isn't something that works any more) without having to juggle your time on two completely different fronts. I'm also not vocal about what I prefer, I understand that Blizzard itself has to cater to it's stakeholders which happens to be the stereotypical "Wrath baby" at the moment; it's a business after all. Alot of that's probably Offtopic, so sorry if it appears as a rant.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    I guess you're having fun talking to < 5~10% of the current population then, huh?
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that he was being sarcastic.