Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinpachi View Post
    I have 2 brothers in prison for various reasons. One of them has been in and out all his life, basically institutionalized. I know all too well how the criminal justice system likes to fuck people. You have two options. 1. Change the laws. 2. Don't break the laws. Anything else is wasting breath.
    I can't understand why you think this is a good idea then. Prison should focus on one thing and that is rehabilitation. Not exploitation. The idea that "society" can be owed something from these people is wrong. It's just exploitation. The objective should be get them on the right path and get them out of government care, not keep them and force them to pay some imagined societal debt. If this becomes common place there will be to much incentive to keep prisoners. Look at the sheriff bragging how much he saved the government by using his prisoners.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmaniac17 View Post
    Prison should focus on one thing and that is rehabilitation.
    Prison should focus equally on all three of its functions : rehabilitation, punishment and protection(to society).

Things is should not do : make money, exploit, be biased to poor, incarcerate non-violent offenders.

1. A prison system that makes money gives incentive to the owner (business or government) to increase the population to make money.
    2. Exploiting a prisoner means that when they leave, they are not functional in society (which may be your intent - see #1)
    3. Sending the poor to prison just keeps them poor for life, be equitable about prison (sending poor to prison may be your intent - see #1)
    4. When protection is not required (e.g. parking fines etc) - then the first two can be done without prison.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    You know until recently most prisons were in for profit prisons, right?
    Is that supposed to mean something to me?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    If I were a felon and had an offer to work right on the border 1 step from Mexico...hmm that sounds like a great idea. At least a few might not make a run for it.

Also, if they were building something like the Great Wall of China the manual unskilled labor might help. But I would assume this wall would be something that would take skilled labor in putting up large secure fencing/walls, not just putting blocks of stone in place.

Lastly, even beyond the last point do you really want felons including cartel affiliated criminals assembling the wall? At a minimum they'd learn the weakest points, if not sabotage and leave a few bolts here and there loose and tell fellow criminals where they can get through easily.

I'm all for having criminals contribute to society in some meaningful way (if it can be done securely, without escapes). But the wall would not be a great candidate for that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Exactly - but being poor is predominantly what determines if you get sent to jail.

That's the point here ... lots of rich criminals out and about, I mean - look at the ones that caused the GFC.
    Look at Trump. Prime example of a hardened criminal running free (and running the country).

All of those hundreds upon hundreds of court cases, stacked with the best lawyers, and not a day spent in jail.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Any system set up to benefit from turning as many citizens as possible into criminals is one to be regarded with the utmost suspicion.
    Ain't nothin' wrong with some good old fashioned capitalism.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

7+ Year Old Account
    Any system set up to benefit from turning as many citizens as possible into criminals is one to be regarded with the utmost suspicion.
    I said nothing about private prisons, not advocating for them either, I don't quite like the idea of profiting from human suffering myself. The article doesn't sound like its talking about private prisons either, not only that but the only work they do is either for non-profit organizations like churches, or government work.

"Bristol County for years has had a robust work-release program that Darling said saved taxpayers more than $1 million last year by having inmates paint government buildings, cut grass, and perform other work. Inmates also have painted churches and performed services for nonprofit organizations, Darling said.

Hodgson is proposing a national version of the program called Project NICE, which stands for the National Inmates’ Community Endeavors. The program would link participating sheriff’s offices across the country. Darling said Hodgson hopes to make a presentation to the National Sheriffs’ Association this winter.

“What this program would do is sort of take that model and expand it nationally,” Darling said, adding that it would take six months to a year to set up.

Darling said the Bristol County program is limited to nonviolent inmates near the end of their sentences. It is voluntary, but Darlin said prisoners often view it as an opportunity to avoid a jail cell all day while learning a skill."

Sounds like its voluntary to me, are slaves volunteers?

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Its only slavery when you have no choice. They CHOSE to break the law, had a trial and were found guilty by a unanimous jury therefore to hell with the scumbags. Work them to the bone. It will be a good deterrent to not come back when they are released. Additionally they will learn useful skills that can get them a job in construction when they get out.
    Orlong continuing his trend of knowing literally nothing about the world and how it works. At least one of Trump's supporters are consistent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anni View Post
    How is it not?
    They pay you.

7+ Year Old Account
    You were the one talking about making inmates do stuff.
    My comment you responded to was about private prisons and slave labor, my comment about making them work was sarcastic, certain people were exaggerating what is actually being proposed, the one in particular that I responded to called it "slave labor for political theater" when clearly if he even took 2min to read the article instead of taking it as another opportunity to sling mud, would know they are volunteers, its not forced labor, they aren't slaves.

I wish. We have a bunch of obnoxious wetbacks that like to play their mariachi music where I live and nearly all their family ends up parking in our yard. Nothing has happened yet but god damn do I want beat them over the head with a baseball bat for lack of respect.

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2017-01-09 at 05:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    Yeah, it really is fucking ridiculous how often poor people get fucked by things as simple as traffic tickets. I got a $300 one for apparently not stopping at a stop sign at 2 am in a town with a population of 1000. I definitely stopped but couldn't do shit about it. If I didn't just pay the fine I would have had to go to actual trial with a jury and the court said if I choose that then they'll go for the max penalty which was 11 months and 29 days in jail with a 1500 fine. Wasn't really worth the fucking risk since I couldn't afford a lawyer and even if I could the cop just pretty much has to say "he done it".
    And that is why plea deals are an abnomination, they give the "official" the ability to extort money.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Anni View Post
    How is it not?
    Maybe theyll take time off their sentences... in any case, I think it would be a good thing. Why should criminals be fed for free for taxpayers money. Let them work for better food, for entertainment.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
    Maybe theyll take time off their sentences... in any case, I think it would be a good thing. Why should criminals be fed for free for taxpayers money. Let them work for better food, for entertainment.
    Because it's your idea how long they stay in prison. If you cannot afford their stay: your problem.

15+ Year Old Account
    It is certainly an interesting thing when your most ambitious projects are built either by soldiers or prisoners regardless in what age you live in. Seems the proud loyal citizen isn't going to volunteer anyway. It doesn't matter, once 100 years have passed every kid will be proud of that nation's achievements. Hence why the greatest people that ever lived were the Egyptians. "We will build a great wall" becomes "Our prisoners and soldiers are going to be forced to roll out 2000 kms of finest NATO barbed wire".
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    It is certainly an interesting thing when your most ambitious projects are built either by soldiers or prisoners regardless in what age you live in. Seems the proud loyal citizen isn't going to volunteer anyway. It doesn't matter, once 100 years have passed every kid will be proud of that nation's achievements. Hence why the greatest people that ever lived were the Egyptians. "We will build a great wall" becomes "Our prisoners and soldiers are going to be forced to roll out 2000 kms of finest NATO barbed wire".
    Man fears time, but time fears the pyramids
    arab proverb

Quote Originally Posted by want my Slimjim View Post
    He said he offered them the opportunity. Which would be volunteering. And even then it still wouldn't be slavery cause they're prisoners.

- - - Updated - - -

I do know it works bro
    No, the article says (I quote):

" pitching a plan to create a nationwide consortium of sheriffs who agree to make inmate labor available to respond to the aftermath of hurricanes and natural disasters — and for ambitious national building projects. One possible application would be to provide labor for the construction of a border wall."

That means, the SHERIFF wants to offer the prisoners TO construction projects. He is not giving the prisoners the opportunity to say "no". That is slave labour.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    https://www.bop.gov/about/statistics...e_offenses.jsp Give that a gander and see how it fits your narrative for justifying slavery.
    A sample size never proves anything so no nonthing to see here

Quote Originally Posted by want my Slimjim View Post
    A sample size never proves anything so no nonthing to see here
    you dont know anything about statistics, right?
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    you dont know anything about statistics, right?
    Right wingers and especially the neo-nazi/white supremacist types know shit about science, they can sometimes twist the research or destroy the entire context of the research and replace it with their own.

What they are good at is running in circles because when you go into a argument with them

I'm not even gonna look but I'm pretty sure its Joe from ariz.