Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Pokemon Go players caused Billions in damage

In one Indiana County two economists from Purdue University attributed a 47% increase in vehicle accidents to Pokemon Go.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/357542/re...riving-d?amp=1

Distracted driving leads to accidents. It is illegal in my area.

Wow. That's terrible.

Pokemon Go should implement a feature that disables the game when traveling above 3-4mph. I know other apps and devices do that. I read an article a while back about people speeding over 100mph to get the special badge on snapchat (this also involved taking a picture while going this speed...)
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Dumb people cause accidents. In other news: Fire - hot.

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    Wow. That's terrible.

Pokemon Go should implement a feature that disables the game when traveling above 3-4mph. I know other apps and devices do that. I read an article a while back about people speeding over 100mph to get the special badge on snapchat (this also involved taking a picture while going this speed...)
    it literally tells you, you're going too fast DONT PLAY POKEMON GO AND DRIVE, when you go above 11mph, and you have to click "i'm a passenger"

if you refuse to listen, that's fine you're breaking the law at least in the UK you're not allowed to use your phone and drive, unless it's hands free talking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I had it up to hear with Pokemon go after about a day, the app is basically an invitation to this, both in how it is designed and how it is marketed.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    it literally tells you, you're going too fast DONT PLAY POKEMON GO AND DRIVE, when you go above 11mph, and you have to click "i'm a passenger"

if you refuse to listen, that's fine you're breaking the law at least in the UK you're not allowed to use your phone and drive, unless it's hands free talking.
    Yeah I'm aware. I'm talking about a full disable; since clearly it doesn't work.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Stupid people exist, this is just scapegoating an app.

How many accidents have occurred due to alcohol while DUI again?

Wow. That's terrible.

Pokemon go does stop working above a certain speed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Stupid people exist, this is just scapegoating an app.

How many accidents have occurred due to alcohol while DUI again?
    pretty much. You could argue just how many people are in car accidents on the road caused by advertisers with billboards on the roadside, causing drivers to get distracted by them and get in an accident or not break in time. But of COURSE you won't see news outlets accusing advertisers of this, because theres money to be made in advertising.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    pretty much. You could argue just how many people are in car accidents on the road caused by advertisers with billboards on the roadside, causing drivers to get distracted by them and get in an accident or not break in time. But of COURSE you won't see news outlets accusing advertisers of this, because theres money to be made in advertising.
    We have to have those billboards with women almost nude to get people's attention while driving though.

Meanwhile; Alcohol related costs of damage!

But ain't nobody gonna care about that, the Capitalists make good money off of Alcohol and everything that comes with it... :>

Wow. That's terrible.

No thanks, I occasionally play while riding on public transport, why should my experience be hindered because of the stupidity of others?

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post

Actually, I'm pretty sure we have a loop hole around that so you can get done for hands free, I might be getting muddled here, but I think you can get done because you have to physically push a button to answer the phone, thus distracting you. And yes it's considered different to putting the radio one or part of the car. I'm also pretty sure there was a study or investigation which showed you concentrate (or distracted I should say) just as much being on hands free as using an actual device to talk. I'll see if I can dig up it up

The good news is that the apps populairty has tanked since release due to many factors, so the increase, assuming it wasn’t just correlation, is negligible at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Algy View Post
    The good news is that the apps populairty has tanked since release due to many factors, so the increase, assuming it wasn’t just correlation, is negligible at this point.
    You say that, but an event just concluded where 3.4 billion Pokémon were caught worldwide in the last week. That means there's still at least a million active players.

Deleted
    Wow. That's terrible.

sélection naturelle

Quote Originally Posted by Waniou View Post
    You say that, but an event just concluded where 3.4 billion Pokémon were caught worldwide in the last week. That means there's still at least a million active players.
    In comparison to the time when these findings were out, it has tanked significantly. Those million players are spread out across the world, where as, in that little town, I wouldn't be surprised if a good 100k+ alone were playing on release.

Wow. That's terrible.

Doesn't it bring up a warning message if you're travelling too fast? I seem to recall seeing it on the tram the few times I used it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Pokemon Go is as much to blame as Coffee is to blame for those accidents.

People are stupid, life goes on.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Because you being able to capture digital monsters on a bus is obviously the main priority here.
    And how exactly does my personal recreation effect the actual point? It's stupidity to be on your phone while you're driving. End of. Tell me without the sarcasm if you can, why should mine or anyone elses experience be hindered because of stupidity? Please, go ahead and try.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    And how exactly does my personal recreation effect the actual point? It's stupidity to be on your phone while you're driving. End of. Tell me without the sarcasm if you can, why should mine or anyone elses experience be hindered because of stupidity? Please, go ahead and try.
    Because its better to inconvenience you then to potentially get someone killed because of idiots. There have been Deaths associated with people driving and playing this game. That is just the fact. Your inconvenience means jack all if a full disable of the app at driving speeds successfully prevents even 1 death. Its selfish and entitled to think otherwise.

Read a book while you're riding. Draw. Play another game on a 3ds or something. Think about things. Listen to music. Hold a conversation with people. There are options. Use them and don't zero in on the one option that you can't have because its been proven to kill.

As to the article. Its BS. Nothing more. Has it caused damages? Absolutely. But they use 1 county. And they use information from accidents in the Area of poke stops. They use one county and try to extrapolate data based on A Lot of assumptions. Its a bs "research paper"
    Last edited by Zantos; 2017-11-28 at 01:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?