Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    You have to earn the right for your character to look good.
    Put in the work and you won't look like a pleb running around in a clownsuit.

Transmog is some of the most hollow, unfulfilling gameplay there is.
    It will never be in Classic. Get good.

a few things come to mind

1: You're not forced to transmog. If you want to run around with mismatched gear then go ahead.

2: (the main one for me) Why do you care in the slightest whether someone else wants to transmog or not? It's not your character. It's not like you can transmog into current raid mythic gear without doing it. so the 'pride' of running around in the most current raid gear is as much alive today as it was in Vanilla. The difference is that it's not 2005 anymore and I'm willing to bet most people don't care these days whether someone is running around in the best gear or not.

3: looking good is totally subjective. You'll notice people actually transmog out of tier gear and into matching green gear.

4: It's classic wow. People won't be soloing old raids for transmog gear (for obvious reasons)

5: What about when you get better gear from a higher tier that doesn't match your set? Just because something is "authentic" doesn't make it good. Think about the transition from BWL to AQ40 when they just gave the non-tier 2.5 epics the model of random green drops

6: I bet most people on here complaining about transmog will currently have a previous expansion raid transmog and won't be raiding above normal for current content.

Transmog is great, sorry you guys don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    I should be able to look at you and discern a lot of things.

I'll instantly know if you're a noob, a casual noob or a worthy member for my party.

Perhaps even easy prey.
    Or you could inspect gear, that takes ten seconds...

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Or you could inspect gear, that takes ten seconds...
    That doesn't work for pvp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miro91 View Post
    That's a very constructive way of arguing
    They’re right, they don’t need to be constructive.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, Transmog affects gameplay.
    Soon as transmog was implemented there ceased to exist incentive to farm gear in the current raid tier to look good.
    When transmog is in the game everyone looks good. This creates an environment where no one feels the need to improve their character. It stops the sense of hurry because everyone is already beautiful.

NO transmog is the authentic PvE experience.

You start by looking like a clown and progressively you look awesome. Slowly but surely.

If your BiS gear doesnt match you can always equip the complete raid tier set on major cities (manually) just for the fashion show and to look cool. Just like in a oldshool Roleplay server.

This is the authentic experience.
    Lets all have fun in Classic shall we?
    That is the least constructive explanation for Transmog being "Bad" That I have ever read in my life. Go back to the dungeon troll.

Who cares, that's the risk you take when you gank.
    There are battlegrounds. People do play them semi-seriously to seriously. Priority target calling is objectively more important than cosmetic pixels.

It has a shared effect on how it negatively impacts gameplay.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyoue View Post
    That is the least constructive explanation for Transmog being "Bad" That I have ever read in my life. Go back to the dungeon troll.
    Fact
    "When transmog exists, current raid tiers stop being relevant" (at least not as relevant without transmog)

Fact 2
    "No one pays attention to the gear of anyone when we have transmog in the game" (at least not in the same way)

Different times, different system, different charm in simple things.
    I prefer when there is no transmog in the game. Thats an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by evogsr View Post
    There are battlegrounds. People do play them semi-seriously to seriously. Priority target calling is objectively more important than cosmetic pixels.

It has a shared effect on how it negatively impacts gameplay.
    You don't need to look at armor to tell what class and spec someone is in rbgs.

You don't need to look at armor to tell what class and spec someone is in rbgs.
    Visually determining what opponents are wearing only stopped being a thing in 4.3/onwards, when API was patched into the game that allowed addons to request data to put a characters ilvl, spec, resilience/later pvp power on their unit frame, a mouseover tooltip, or their floating hp bar. Quite frankly, this was one of the worst changes that ever happened to pvp in this way. It's right up there with crutch addons like gladiatorlossa.

Prior to 4.3, that API didn't exist and addons couldn't do that. So the only way you could actually know what you were up against was to actually see what the enemy team was wearing.

The argument that transmog is great and "everyone" loves it doesn't self justify that extra sweeping accommodations must be made in other areas of the game where transmog negatively impacts it, because of limited vision of other areas it impacts. This is really just one point of why this feature doesn't belong and can't fit without substantial changes being made else where. Not just in pvp.
    Last edited by evogsr; 2017-12-31 at 08:31 PM.

Visually determining what opponents are wearing only stopped being a thing in 4.3/onwards, when API was patched into the game that allowed addons to request data to put a characters ilvl, spec, resilience/later pvp power on their unit frame, a mouseover tooltip, or their floating hp bar. Quite frankly, this was one of the worst changes that ever happened to pvp in this way. It's right up there with crutch addons like gladiatorlossa.

Prior to 4.3, that API didn't exist and addons couldn't do that. So the only way you could actually know what you were up against was to actually see what the enemy team was wearing.

The argument that transmog is great and "everyone" loves it doesn't self justify that extra sweeping accommodations must be made in other areas of the game where transmog negatively impacts it, because of limited vision of other areas it impacts. This is really just one point of why this feature doesn't belong and can't fit without substantial changes being made else where. Not just in pvp.
    You can visually see who is what class/spec without any addons. For one there are tooltips where you can mouse over a player and see their name and class. But you don't even need to do that to know what class or spec someone is. What they're casting and spell animations tell you all you need to know about what class and spec they are. If you're a halfway decent player you need to know what these spells/abilities are anyway based on visuals so you need to know what to cc/interrupt or get away from.

Your argument is bad and honestly indicates you're kindof a bad player if you're relying on gear to tell you about a player and what they're doing.

You can visually see who is what class/spec without any addons. For one there are tooltips where you can mouse over a player and see their name and class. But you don't even need to do that to know what class or spec someone is. What they're casting and spell animations tell you all you need to know about what class and spec they are. If you're a halfway decent player you need to know what these spells/abilities are anyway based on visuals so you need to know what to cc/interrupt or get away from.

Your argument is bad and honestly indicates you're kindof a bad player if you're relying on gear to tell you about a player and what they're doing.
    I never mentioned class. Of course you can tell what class someone is... I wrote ilvl, spec (in the confines of knowing their exact talent choice), stats. The point is accurately gauging the enemies power of their visual appearance, which was completely ingrained in that time periods experience, all the way up to 4.3. Saying it's not, or wasn't is just a flat denial of reality. Even going back to when arena was introduced to the game, there were some mid-high tier comps where some classes (some healing specs, warrior, ret, or mage) would come in with half or full pve gear. Every strategy revolved around killing the guy in pve gear first. You could actually see that he was not in a full pvp set/had little to no resilience. It's that simple.

Hence, when a mage in DM/dungeons blues is casting on you, you can rightfully ignore them. A team doesn't have to waste a CC or TTK on them. Same thing goes for any class when you've established their baseline effectiveness just from what they have equipped instead of engaging to find out. This is magnified when it's premade vs premade and both teams have a mix of players in a more narrow range of gear. If you're a halfway decent player, you're not going to wait to get hit by abilities just to get a grasp on what they might have equipped. That's what you're saying.

You've clearly forgotten that there were almost no visuals of spells/abilities from Vanilla, let alone unique visuals class wide. It was pretty much a single casting animation that varied on race. The biggest things to look out for were when players popped a dps trinket for the few classes with access to one, and even those didn't have a retard level telegraph.

You've also forgotten that enemy player buffs were not something that could be tracked on an enemies unit frame. That wasn't added until BC. Why do I get the feeling I'm talking to someone about pvp who hasn't broken through any bracket in any season?
    Last edited by evogsr; 2017-12-31 at 10:44 PM.

I never mentioned class. Of course you can tell what class someone is... I wrote ilvl, spec (in the confines of knowing their exact talent choice), stats. The point is accurately gauging the enemies power of their visual appearance, which was completely ingrained in that time periods experience, all the way up to 4.3. Saying it's not, or wasn't is just a flat denial of reality. Even going back to when arena was introduced to the game, there were some mid-high tier comps where some classes (some healing specs, warrior, ret, or mage) would come in with half or full pve gear. Every strategy revolved around killing the guy in pve gear first. You could actually see that he was not in a full pvp set/had little to no resilience. It's that simple.

Hence, when a mage in DM/dungeons blues is casting on you, you can rightfully ignore them. A team doesn't have to waste a CC or TTK on them. Same thing goes for any class when you've established their baseline effectiveness just from what they have equipped instead of engaging to find out. This is magnified when it's premade vs premade and both teams have a mix of players in a more narrow range of gear. If you're a halfway decent player, you're not going to wait to get hit by abilities just to get a grasp on what they might have equipped. That's what you're saying.

You've clearly forgotten that there were almost no visuals of spells/abilities from Vanilla, let alone unique visuals class wide. It was pretty much a single casting animation that varied on race. The biggest things to look out for were when players popped a dps trinket for the few classes with access to one, and even those didn't have a retard level telegraph.

You've also forgotten that enemy player buffs were not something that could be tracked on an enemies unit frame. That wasn't added until BC. Why do I get the feeling I'm talking to someone about pvp who hasn't broken through any bracket in any season?
    dont bother. they will never understand what you are saying. they got an idea in their head and wont let it go when the facts hit them in the face and tell them they are wrong.

Your entire argument is based on ignoring under-geared players at a glance? I mean...even in your own words you described being able to ignore a player because his gear was shit. This isn't exactly the height of competition, and is a pretty poor piece of evidence against xmog.

How is this in any way a case for restricting Xmog in a purely PVE setting. And isn't it completely irrelevant to the discussion since arena wasn't introduced until TBC?

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Your entire argument is based on ignoring under-geared players at a glance? I mean...even in your own words you described being able to ignore a player because his gear was shit. This isn't exactly the height of competition, and is a pretty poor piece of evidence against xmog.

How is this in any way a case for restricting Xmog in a purely PVE setting. And isn't it completely irrelevant to the discussion since arena wasn't introduced until TBC?
    It appears that you glossed over a whole section. Where I had written that effect in pvp is magnified when teams/players are in a more narrow spread of gear. If you're having to wait for actions to happen before you or other teammates make sound decisions for priority target calling, that is entirely disadvantageous to desired gameplay. It's rather insane that anyone would advocate the need to get hit by an ability first in order to accurately judge the strength of that player, or any other on the enemy team.

Has Blizzard implemented a way to transmog gear in only a pve setting? No. Since this back and forth was specifically about transmog and the effect it has in pvp, then the answer to your question is obviously nothing. However if you'd like to discuss reasons why transmog as it is currently implemented in live would be disastrous for Vanilla, or any point in time before 4.3, you know, when they also implemented the personal loot system side by side transmog, I'm more than willing to reiterate those points and redirect you back to what changes did and had to first occur in WoW's history before transmog went live.

How is it not relevant? Discussing any period before transmog was included in the game, with pvp highlighted is still the same. The only sure tool that players had to gauge each others relative strength was by what they had equipped. Knowing the enemies strength is how decisions are made and strats are executed. Arena amplified how important this was for comps and counter comps, more so when a lot of teams in S5 & S6 were running with one or two players in heavy pve gear.
    Last edited by evogsr; 2018-01-01 at 11:43 PM.

It appears that you glossed over a whole section.
    I didn't gloss over anything. I'm just looking at it within the context of the entire game, and not just limited PVP scenarios. And Arena(where target calling and hardcore organized tactics like what you've described) is an even more narrow section of that.

It's very easy to focus in on how Xmog would be "devastating" to that part of the game, but I maintain that the impact would be incredibly small in the larger context of a Vanilla server. Where is all this high-end gauging of enemy players going to take place on a vanilla server? World PVP ganking? Killing NPCs in enemy quest hubs? Hillsbrad brawls? Alterac Valley or other battlegrounds filled with casuals, where success and progression through PVP ranks was based on time spent and total honor points farmed instead of skillful play?

The only place where xmog could have any significant impact on the gameplay doesn't exist in a Vanilla state of the game. You might have a point if Blizzard was looking at releasing a TBC, WotLK, or Cata server. But I suspect that even then the dynamic that you're talking about in Arena PVP would not be "devastated", but would simply shift to something else.

Even if it didn't, consider what you're actually defending: Some weird tactic where players equip terrible gear in order to bait your team into prioritizing the wrong target? As though all the higher-end, serious Arena players aren't all going to be wearing the best possible gear, and your team will prioritize not based on gear, but team composition.

I don't know...it seems like the entire basis of your argument is deeply flawed.

I didn't gloss over anything. I'm just looking at it within the context of the entire game, and not just limited PVP scenarios. And Arena(where target calling and hardcore organized tactics like what you've described) is an even more narrow section of that.

It's very easy to focus in on how Xmog would be "devastating" to that part of the game, but I maintain that the impact would be incredibly small in the larger context of a Vanilla server. Where is all this high-end gauging of enemy players going to take place on a vanilla server? World PVP ganking? Killing NPCs in enemy quest hubs? Hillsbrad brawls? Alterac Valley or other battlegrounds filled with casuals, where success and progression through PVP ranks was based on time spent and total honor points farmed instead of skillful play?

The only place where xmog could have any significant impact on the gameplay doesn't exist in a Vanilla state of the game. You might have a point if Blizzard was looking at releasing a TBC, WotLK, or Cata server. But I suspect that even then the dynamic that you're talking about in Arena PVP would not be "devastated", but would simply shift to something else.

Even if it didn't, consider what you're actually defending: Some weird tactic where players equip terrible gear in order to bait your team into prioritizing the wrong target? As though all the higher-end, serious Arena players aren't all going to be wearing the best possible gear, and your team will prioritize not based on gear, but team composition.

I don't know...it seems like the entire basis of your argument is deeply flawed.
    You could try not to be coy. If you've had a pvp interaction of any kind in any game - especially in mmorpgs, you know damn well a player, regardless of their skill level will always base their decision making on how strong or weak they determine their opposition to be. I shouldn't have to break down the nuance of how player character level isn't relevant where ilvl has always served as that general marker - especially in the exact time where gear dependency in pvp was at its peak and the spread between two players 10 ilvls apart was massive. Where, yet again, with only one relevant way to discern this.

As to what you perceive would only be a changing dynamic here, that changing dynamic as it happened in the past was Blizzard including API to allow addons to collect and display this data, eliminating the need to make distinction against varying player power based on appearance. It wasn't something the pvp community was overjoyed about. It gets lumped up there with gladiatorlossa. This same "dynamic" would have to manifest itself once again.

You say you're talking larger picture... for a feature which is entirely cosmetic and nothing else, thus bears no requirement (or valid argument) to being included at a time in the game where it wasn't but if done so does indeed disrupt or demand significant changes in other areas of the game to accommodate its inclusion, further deviating from what Classic represents. There's no debate about that.

If you want to continue talking larger picture in any seriousness, loot tables would have to be adjusted and increased in the raids, but also likely in the dungeons. You may very well see that as a positive. I don't, that's a large deviation away from Vanilla and it influences the overall lifespan of the server(s). That leaves unforeseen consequences. Future content doesn't have merit here since it's an unknown, and for all purposes not likely. Without this change opens the levee for players being handed an ingame justification and incentive to take loot from other players, purely based on cosmetic desire. Keep the # of drops & loot tables the same as Vanilla, and you're guaranteeing problems at large.

Personal loot would have to be included as well. It is a core design feature of why transmog was introduced when it was along with aggregation of current expansion items to work with transmog and not against it. Again, a feature that obviously wasn't in Vanilla and has no place in Classic. It would have to be reworked to even function correctly within Classic. As would the items themselves. The mandate for personal loot would stem from the reason above.

I have yet to see any compelling argument of why transmog should be a feature that makes it on Classic server. So far, nothing has moved beyond "muh pixels" which is strangely ironic since the whole reasoning is not wanting to look like a clown, resulting in still looking like a clown. Redundancy comes to mind, and I think when people either learn or remember that Vanilla didn't have loot pinata's and that there is no uniqueness to be had in Vanilla due to an exponentially reduced amount of models to even choose from, it frames the picture clearly.
    Last edited by evogsr; 2018-01-02 at 02:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, Transmog affects gameplay.
    Soon as transmog was implemented there ceased to exist incentive to farm gear in the current raid tier to look good.
    When transmog is in the game everyone looks good. This creates an environment where no one feels the need to improve their character. It stops the sense of hurry because everyone is already beautiful.

NO transmog is the authentic PvE experience.

You start by looking like a clown and progressively you look awesome. Slowly but surely.

If your BiS gear doesnt match you can always equip the complete raid tier set on major cities (manually) just for the fashion show and to look cool. Just like in a oldshool Roleplay server.

This is the authentic experience.
    Lets all have fun in Classic shall we?
    I agree completely. I did actually used to want gear because of looks and it did motivate me to get it. Now I completely don't give a shit. I also like being able to identify the skill and progression of a character just by looking at it. In Vanilla this was crucially important because there was only 1 linear progression path for pve and one for pvp.

In Vanilla, the vast majority of PVP occurred in AV. You could do WSG or whatever but the queues weren't amazing and you still had to run there. You could get in AV and stay there all day. The ability to pick out the one warrior in Tier 2 with a thunderfury was absolutely amazing. The same can be said for any other spec or class. Visual information used to matter. Now people just sort through information thats been processed and sorted for them by MODS. DBM, weak auras, and other such nonsense.

To be totally honest I don't think people are ready for the complete shit show that WoW vanilla was, even the people who played it, like myself. WoW Vanilla with the mods that we have now is going to be a completely different game. There was no such thing as arena tracker mods. Nothing to show you the complete health of the opposing teams. Nothing to track opposing cooldowns. There were barely and good UI mods. Graphically WoW was a much more intensive game then than it is now.

Anyway, I think Transmog destroys immersion. I do use it because it's beneficial to do so, not really because I care too much about it.

- - - Updated - - -

It's because you're assuming "Classic" = "Vanilla without any changes". IMO that's a mistake.

People aren't saying Xmog was part of vanilla. They're saying that it's something that should be added to the new "Classic" servers, whatever they end up actually being. And the reason why they're saying that is because it's one of the few QoL changes that has almost zero impact on the overall Vanilla experience.

Now you speak for everyone? What about players who never got a chance to try Vanilla because they started playing later on in TBC, WotLK, or Cata? Maybe they'll enjoy a Vanilla-like experience if it has some nods to advances in the QoL areas of the game?

Again, you're making the mistake of assuming that "Classic" servers will cater solely and specifically to an extremely narrow range of super-purists. And while I think that's possible, I don't think it's likely. The simple fact that the "Classic" servers will be run on modern technology, with better net-code and hardware, at a higher resolution, already means that the original experience has already been altered. It's no longer a matter of creating a Vanilla server with no changes at all, but how much change can be done while still providing a Vanilla-like experience.
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean by Vanilla-like. What are people going to do when they realize they can neither tank or dps as a paladin? What's a druid going to do when he realizes he's pretty much mediocre at everything except healing and running away? What's a person going to do when they realize they can't queue for a dungeon? What are they going to do when they realize there are no daily or world quests to make money?

The next thing you know, loot tables are changed. Spirit will be eliminated. Everyone will have the same talents and abilities as they have now they'll just stop at 60. Molten Core bosses will now drop 8 pieces of loot in 40 man mode.

If Blizzard goes this route, and decides to make "Classic WoW" just "Current WoW" (with a 60 lvl cap), it will be a fucking disaster because it will be WAY TOOOO EASY. Even without heirlooms the XP has been cut drastically since Vanilla, i think it was cut two different times. Plus, the mechanical difficulty of all the bosses was nonsense.

Here is how I define classic WoW

1) Scarcity of time gold and loot
    2) Running to dungeons with the treachery and hazards that came with it.
    3) Finding groups and raids
    4) General danger of the world from NPCs and PCs alike
    5) Extreme character imbalances but there was some unique balance if people got creative
    6) Looks = skill when it comes to Transmog

People are forgetting here that the only shit anyone would transmog to in vanilla would be a tier set. Everything else is so entirely plain. But I think that's the point too. In Vanilla, we hadn't killed Illidan yet, DW hadn't destroyed the world, we hadn't killed the Lich King yet.....we were just pups. Walking around in our splint mail with a somewhat dull sword. So we should look like it.

PS What's someone going to do when a Shadow Priest wrecks your face off?

You could try not to be coy.
    I'm not trying to be coy. I'm simply trying to explain how all of these nuances you're describing simply either don't exist in a vanilla environment, or are so limited in scope and effect as to be not a valid argument against the inclusion of Xmog.

You say you're talking larger picture... for a feature which is entirely cosmetic and nothing else, thus bears no requirement (or valid argument) to being included at a time in the game where it wasn't but if done so does indeed disrupt or demand significant changes in other areas of the game to accommodate its inclusion, further deviating from what Classic represents. There's no debate about that.
    This is exactly what I'm talking about. WHAT pvp community? The level at which determining player threat based on gear appearance simply doesn't exist in random brawls and ganking. The type of thing you're describing only actually matters at the highest level of organized PVP, which simply isn't supported by a Vanilla instance of the game!

You're arguing aginst Xmog, using the platform that it's damaging to high-end PVP when High end PVP doesn't exist in vanilla in the first place! There's no Arena. No RBGs. The only semi-organized PVP in vanilla are battlegrounds(which you will attack the objectives regardless of enemy appearance), and assaults on the capitol cities(which you will attempt regardless of player appearance).

So even if we agree that Xmog can damage the PVP experience, where is the environment in which this will actually happen on a Vanilla server?

If you want to continue talking larger picture in any seriousness, loot tables would have to be adjusted and increased in the raids, but also likely in the dungeons.
    Wut? Non-sequitor. WHY would loot tables have to be adjusted? To prevent impact on non-existant high-end PVP? Are you joking?

Personal loot would have to be included as well. It is a core design feature of why transmog was introduced when it was along with aggregation of current expansion items to work with transmog and not against it.
    Citation needed. Xmog is a completely independent system from personal loot. The two might compliment each other, but are not required.

I have yet to see any compelling argument of why transmog should be a feature that makes it on Classic server. So far, nothing has moved beyond "muh pixels" which is strangely ironic since the whole reasoning is not wanting to look like a clown, resulting in still looking like a clown. Redundancy comes to mind, and I think when people either learn or remember that Vanilla didn't have loot pinata's and that there is no uniqueness to be had in Vanilla due to an exponentially reduced amount of models to even choose from, it frames the picture clearly.
    The argument is that Xmog would have no, or next to no, impact on the experience of the game. And might allow players a little bit more enjoyment out of the vanilla servers if they aren't hardcore purists. That and the complete and total lack of any valid reason NOT to include it. So far, the best anyone has come up with is you, and your entire platform for arguing against it is some esoteric style of judging player threat based on their appearance that is only relevant to a nearly insignificant fraction of the playerbase operating at the extremely highest level of arena pvp.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Psilar View Post
    I also like being able to identify the skill and progression of a character just by looking at it.
    No offense, but this translates to: "I want everyone to have to conform to my preferences so I can play in a very specific way." Which is why I personally am in favor of a client-side toggle. You click "Do not view Transmog" and you see everyone's clown suit. While the individual player gets to look however he wants with whatever appearances he's personally unlocked.

Including xmog doesn't necessarily have to mean it's one way or the other for EVERYONE. This is the type of option I believe can be included in the game without actually hurting anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Psilar View Post
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean by Vanilla-like. What are people going to do when they realize they can neither tank or dps as a paladin? What's a druid going to do when he realizes he's pretty much mediocre at everything except healing and running away? What's a person going to do when they realize they can't queue for a dungeon? What are they going to do when they realize there are no daily or world quests to make money?

The next thing you know, loot tables are changed. Spirit will be eliminated. Everyone will have the same talents and abilities as they have now they'll just stop at 60. Molten Core bosses will now drop 8 pieces of loot in 40 man mode.
    Slippery slope argument, really? Sorry, but objectively speaking, one does not automatically lead to the other. As I just said, I believe it's entirely possible to include Xmog without hurting anything. Xmog being an option doesn't automatically translate to ruined PVP or altered loot tables.

I don't have all the answers. I don't know how modern players will react to the horrible balance and garbage design of Vanilla wow. That's something for Blizzard to figure out at the larger scale. I only know that it should be a VERY simple thing to include Xmog as a client-side option, because we've already seen a similar toggle in the form of the "Display old character models" option when they were first introduced.