Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

Feral Mastery question

Hello people,
    I´m having a discussion with a friend of mine, who plays feral. We are currently looking for ways to tweak his stats a bit more. So I have a few questions for you.
    Does Mastery above 100% raidbuffed yield any gain? Is there a certain breakingpoint at which you want to favor crit?
    And secondly, if Mastery above 100% raidbuffed isn´t favourable, would the str-enchantment for hands be an option instead of mastery?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

Getting as much Mastery as you can is far preferable to crit for Feral Druids. If he has the Rune of Re-origination, or RoR, then you need to find a way to get your Mastery, Haste and Crit as close as possible to each other, with Mastery slightly higher. This will maximize the Mastery gain you get when RoR procs. As for the enchant, I believe the amount of ap you get from Str makes that enchant close to the Mastery one, but I believe you would want the Mastery one if you don't have RoR, just so you can get your mastery as high as possible.

TLDR: More Mastery = much more powerful Bleeds, which is the vast majority of your damage as Feral.
    "I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the Constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old and I'm the man who is gonna save your lives and all 6 billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?"

-The Doctor, Voyage of the Damned

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, then he was right and AMR fails me once again.
    RoR = Rune of Reorigination?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

yeah ror = rune and yeah mastery is #1 secondary and works well above 100%.

for RoR you should get your hast crit and mastery all within about 10 stats of each other if possible with mastery being the highest. on my feral they are 7671 Mastery, 7667 crit, and 7664 Haste. i got these numbers by using the catus simulator just google "catus download wow" and search for the fluiddruid guide if it shows up as it gives a full guide rather than just a download.

And without a RoR strength should still be a priority over mastery enchant on gloves as it gives us the same attack power as agility but does not give us the crit of agility.

15+ Year Old Account
    last time i checked the stat values both the Str enchant and Mastery enchant where verry close, mastery was slightly better
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

Mastery or Haste to gloves if you have RoR, Mastery if you don't. Strength was only a thing in T14 but it's since been outscaled.

Druid / Demon Hunter SimulationCraft Maintainer

strength gives the same attack power as agility therefore there should be no reason 170 mastery is better than 170 attack power, while mastery only applies to bleeds attack power applies to bleeds as well as all other attacks

Quote Originally Posted by Domatic
    while mastery only applies to bleeds attack power applies to bleeds as well as all other attacks
    That's like saying mastery can't possibly be better than crit because crit scales all of our damage, which if you know anything about feral stats you would know isn't true.

that is not like saying crit is better than mastery crit is scaled and uses rng while strength which increases our attack power will allow us to hit harder and set up bleeds with more attack power Attack power> mastery

Period.

You're the one trying to use reasoning to answer something that is entirely a math problem. Feel free to go simulate it yourself and maybe you would be surprised at the result.

15+ Year Old Account
    yeh sorry Domatic, you cant beat the theocrafters and thier simulation with pure logic
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

Quote Originally Posted by Domatic View Post
    strength gives the same attack power as agility therefore there should be no reason 170 mastery is better than 170 attack power, while mastery only applies to bleeds attack power applies to bleeds as well as all other attacks
    The problem isn't with reason, but that the reasoning was in this quoted case bad. It assumes that there exists equal dps value between mastery and attack power, and that consequently since one stat buffs everything, and the other only a few attacks, the stat which buffs everything is preferable. Of course this is mistaken because it starts with a false assumption.
    Last edited by Themessiah; 2013-08-22 at 11:46 AM.

Deleted
    that is not like saying crit is better than mastery crit is scaled and uses rng while strength which increases our attack power will allow us to hit harder and set up bleeds with more attack power Attack power> mastery

Period.
    Feel free to read the original poster's signature.

strength gives the same attack power as agility
    Stop. Wrong. Strength gives 1 attack power per point and agility 2.

Quote Originally Posted by ivanhebc View Post
    Mastery or Haste to gloves if you have RoR, Mastery if you don't
    Even this is incorrect. If you have Rune of Re-Origination, balance your secondary stats across your gear, while maintaining hit and expertise caps. Make sure that mastery is ahead of haste and critical strike, by as close to 1 single stat as possible. Regardless of stat balance, mastery must be higher than haste and critical strike - so stats as close as possible, with mastery always highest.

If balancing your stats while maintaining hit and expertise caps means you need to put expertise on your gloves, then that's fine.
    Last edited by Themessiah; 2013-08-23 at 09:15 AM.

The guy you quoted was just a spam bot copying what I said. I left out Expertise because it's ill-advised without rune due to the way reforging works (unless you're severely severely undergeared) and because it's fairly rare for it to be optimal with Rune. Saying it's an option is pretty much a noob trap imo, the people who understand the implications of such a trade via reforging will make that choice when it's appropriate, but the people who don't may choose expertise not knowing it's more often than not the sub-optimal choice.
    Last edited by aggixx; 2013-08-23 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aggixx View Post
    The guy you quoted was just a spam bot copying what I said. I left out Expertise because it's ill-advised without rune due to the way reforging works (unless you're severely severely undergeared) and because it's fairly rare for it to be optimal with Rune. Saying it's an option is pretty much a noob trap imo, the people who understand the implications of such a trade via reforging will make that choice when it's appropriate, but the people who don't may choose expertise not knowing it's more often than not the sub-optimal choice.
    Sure, no worries. I just hate that the final word on a thread - a thread which less informed players will read, being that the expertise enchant on gloves is never an option. Albeit rare, it is an option that can be optimal.

Quote Originally Posted by dancm View Post
    Stop. Wrong. Strength gives 1 attack power per point and agility 2.
    For a more correct answer:

Agility provides 2 AP for the following specs:
    -Feral
    -Guardian
    -Enhancement
    -All Hunter specs
    -All Rogue Specs
    -Windwalker
    -Brewmaster
    -Other specs get 1 AP per point of Agility

Strength provides 2 AP for the following specs:
    -Frost (DK)
    -Unholy
    -Blood
    -Arms
    -Fury
    -Protection (Warr)
    -Retribution
    -Protection (Pala)
    -Other specs get 1 AP per point of Strength.