Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

mop is so "Imperial"

I noticed after looking at the game after a year from a distance how "british empire" the game is. First, the "superior invaders" go to an unexplored island (pandaria) and the natives while are at first a bit hesitant immediately recognize their superior amazing nature (yeah right, usually only a minority does it and those are the pawns/dictators of the empire).

Then you see things like Lei Shen "the evil dictator" that must be dethroned (see at Iraq's "Sadam Hussein" etc.) and the irony is those empires are who put those dictators up in their place in the first place.

It's like a copy of history for a video game, obviously from the perspective of anglosaxons/americans.

Deleted
    So what you say is that even fantasy games are inspired from reality?

SHOCKING!!!!

You obviously no nothing of Chinese history

10+ Year Old Account
    I was thinking just the same some days ago!

I just don't know where to begin....

Is this meant to insult Blizzard or British people or Chinese people? Or maybe you thought you'd have a stab at all three at once?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FemaleGoblinMage View Post
    I noticed after looking at the game after a year from a distance how "british empire" the game is. First, the "superior invaders" go to an unexplored island (pandaria) and the natives while are at first a bit hesitant immediately recognize their superior amazing nature (yeah right, usually only a minority does it and those are the pawns/dictators of the empire).

Then you see things like Lei Shen "the evil dictator" that must be dethroned (see at Iraq's "Sadam Hussein" etc.) and the irony is those empires are who put those dictators up in their place in the first place.

It's like a copy of history for a video game, obviously from the perspective of anglosaxons/americans.
    I don't recall the western world invading and occupying the far east, myself...

And also - yes, fiction can be, and often is inspired by history.

10+ Year Old Account
    The story in Pandaria is likely derived from multiple historical stories. I've hesitated to even begin making comparisons as it would likely offend someone and get me started on my vacation early

10+ Year Old Account
    What? I don't remember the Pandaren acting like either the Alliance or the Horde is superior. Did you read the questlines? They are upset at our volatile nature that helps release the Sha (more forces than just us at work) and they strive to teach us how to control ourselves. They almost denied our petition to enter the Vale. And no one wanted the Thunder King around again or he'd enslave the Pandaren.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    What? I don't remember the Pandaren acting like either the Alliance or the Horde is superior. Did you read the questlines? They are upset at our volatile nature that helps release the Sha (more forces than just us at work) and they strive to teach us how to control ourselves. They almost denied our petition to enter the Vale. And no one wanted the Thunder King around again or he'd enslave the Pandaren.
    I agree, the Horde that wants to murder, conquer and enslave the Pandaren is just as bad as the Alliance trying to stop the Horde from doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Guy View Post
    I don't recall the western world invading and occupying the far east, myself...

And also - yes, fiction can be, and often is inspired by history.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...laves_in_China
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opium_wars
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxer_Rebellion

Just refreshing your history.

Actually all the "small" Alliance/Horde bases, the Shrines etc, all strongly feel like the territorial concessions in China.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2013-12-24 at 05:16 PM.

So you are saying that Lei Shen was put in power by the invading factions, despite the facts that he was Thunder King centuries before either made landfall and that he was set free by the Zandalari in an event line unaffiliated with prior actions by the Alliance or Horde...

And speaking of trolls, nice trolling post! Also, the Boxer Rebellion was a reaction to America interfering with Chinese interests in Asia, but not an Imperial invasion. We were more interested in Korea, using Japan's aspirations.

Quote Originally Posted by FemaleGoblinMage View Post

Lei Shen was coppied from chinese history actually. I forget which emporer off of the top of my head though.

It borrows heavily from Chinese history/culture, but poorly executed in a lot of ways. two moons, seven starts, the celestials, pandaria, the pandaren themselves, ect. but its just very shallow and stereotypical.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Superior invaders? The entire point of MoP is that the fucking natives are a hell of a lot wiser than we are.
    Wiser? Perhaps. Stronger? Doesn't seem so!

You don't need to be wiser to be more powerful.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Wiser? Perhaps. Stronger? Doesn't seem so!

You don't need to be wiser to be more powerful.
    In Pandaria, the Wisest man would beat the strongest.

The wise man knows to control his emotions, the strong man lets them loose and gets engulfed by the sha.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Superior invaders? The entire point of MoP is that the fucking natives are a hell of a lot wiser than we are.
    Was that the moral? I feel like it was more about confronting your problems and fears head on instead of trying to hide from them.

Look at the Pandaren; their whole way of life was centered around pushing all of their feelings deep down inside in order to prevent manifestations. They were afraid to fight the Mantid with hate because it would bring about the Sha so the result was a stalemate and division of the land. They had no armies and what forces they did have were too fragile to combat the large number of enemies they faced. Twice Taran Zhu attempted to end conflict, and twice he failed - because he was weak. The Pandaren had no convictions and that was their downfall, they allowed the continent to fester instead of facing their problems.

The Aliiance/Horde created chaos, yeah, but they also solved the plight of the Pandaren. It was their heroes that defeated the manifestations of emotion brought on by the war. They fought against the Thunder King and his minions and it was ultimately the Alliance and Horde who destroyed the remnants of Y'saarj.

I think the Pandaren leaders had a great arrogance about them - that they are somehow above other races because they can pretend they have peace. The rest of the world has taught them that sometimes you have to do "bad" things for the greater good.

It's sort of a Warcraft retelling of West Meets East. The Alliance & Horde are in the same place as the European powers, coming in with technology for war, and interested primarily in money, resources, and beating the other one.

Chinese history & culture in itself is kind of split between the factions of Pandaria. The more ruthless, imperial side is represented by the Mantid and especially the Mogu, who built giant monuments & wonders at the cost and exploitation of others (Qin or Ming Dynasty, or even the Manchus). The barbarian / mongol aspect is obviously the Yaungol. The more friendly, spiritual, and philosophical side is embodied by the Pandaran.

I do think it's pretty brilliantly done. Having had several 400+ level classes in Chinese history during college, it's obvious that Bliz really did their research while crafting this expansion. Everything is very representative of all things China.

The only problem with it that I have is that it doesn't feel very "Warcraft" when everything in the game almost directly represents something in the real world. It doesn't seem very fantasy when Xwarcraft = Xreal, and Ywarcraft = Yreal. Most of the other races have some grounding in real world cultures, but none (other than maybe humans) as directly as Pandarans to China. So as much as I did enjoy this expansion, I'm really looking forward to getting back to WARCRAFT in WoD.

Quote Originally Posted by ScrappyMuffy View Post
    It's sort of a Warcraft retelling of West Meets East. The Alliance & Horde are in the same place as the European powers, coming in with technology for war, and interested primarily in money, resources, and beating the other one.

Chinese history & culture in itself is kind of split between the factions of Pandaria. The more ruthless, imperial side is represented by the Mantid and especially the Mogu, who built giant monuments & wonders at the cost and exploitation of others (Qin or Ming Dynasty, or even the Manchus). The barbarian / mongol aspect is obviously the Yaungol. The more friendly, spiritual, and philosophical side is embodied by the Pandaran.

I do think it's pretty brilliantly done. Having had several 400+ level classes in Chinese history during college, it's obvious that Bliz really did their research while crafting this expansion. Everything is very representative of all things China.

The only problem with it that I have is that it doesn't feel very "Warcraft" when everything in the game almost directly represents something in the real world. It doesn't seem very fantasy when Xwarcraft = Xreal, and Ywarcraft = Yreal. Most of the other races have some grounding in real world cultures, but none (other than maybe humans) as directly as Pandarans to China. So as much as I did enjoy this expansion, I'm really looking forward to getting back to WARCRAFT in WoD.
    I just wish the monk class was better realized. Especially brewmaster. There just too stereotypical, and abilities should have been more related to Kung fu, and Chinese philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthreon View Post
    In Pandaria, the Wisest man would beat the strongest.

The wise man knows to control his emotions, the strong man lets them loose and gets engulfed by the sha.
    Nah he steals your dead god's heart, puts it in a big box and shoves an axe in your best dude's chest before taking the heart back to his city to...

Do something. I can't remember what exactly, but do something.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

you're actually doing WoW (and metzen) more of a service than you had hoped