Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Need driver for AMD Radeon HD 7870

I am looking for the display adapter or video card driver for my AMD Radeon HD 7870. I have looked on the AMD website and downloaded 2 drivers: AMD Catalyst™ 15.7.1 driver and AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.2.1 driver. Both resulted after reboot a lot of screen tearing. After I logged in, it went to black screen. I have used DDU from guru3d to delete all remnants of the driver each time to install those versions above. I don't know where else to look for a working driver for this video card. Is my only option now to buy a new video card since my current one is really old?

I assume your on Windows 10 64 bit, If not let me know and ill provide a different link.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/downloa...%2010%20-%2064

You will want to download the
    Radeon Software 464 MB Crimson ReLive Edition 17.7.2
    Edit: What is the rest of your computer's spec, depending how old it is it may be better just to update the whole thing.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2017-08-13 at 01:13 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I assume your on Windows 10 64 bit, If not let me know and ill provide a different link.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/downloa...%2010%20-%2064

You will want to download the

Edit: What is the rest of your computer's spec, depending how old it is it may be better just to update the whole thing.
    I run Windows 7 64 bit SP 1.
    Graphic card is AMD Radeon HD 7870.
    2 SSDs (1 Samsung 830 evo 128 GB and one 1 Samsung 850 evo 240 GB)
    Intel i3570k chip
    ASRock Extreme4 motherboard
    1 TB HDD
    DGX Xonar sound card

And what else you want to know? I am forgetting something I think but I don't know. I'll try that version and let you know.

And oh yeah, I bought this computer newly built on around end of 2012 like November/December of 2012.

I can't even play WoW or D3 'cause I have a "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" =/.
    Last edited by Lychee3000; 2017-08-13 at 01:56 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Windows 7 and 10 as far as I can tell use the same, here is a direct link to Windows 7 17.7.2

Quote Originally Posted by Lychee3000 View Post
    "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" =/.
    Stupid question but are u sure u got the monitor hooked into ur GPU and not your onboard video? Even as old as it is ur system/video card should be able to play WoW/D3.

Here is the link to ur video card.
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/downloa...s%207%20-%2064

download
    Radeon Software 467 MB Crimson ReLive Edition 17.7.2
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    Windows 7 and 10 as far as I can tell use the same, here is a direct link to Windows 7 17.7.2
    Ya seems its the same ether way.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Oh yeah, everything is plugged into where it should be. I just had to re-install Windows 'cause I was getting a BSOD that I could not find a solution for.
    I will install that and let you know.

Oh yeah, everything is plugged into where it should be. I just had to re-install Windows 'cause I was getting a BSOD that I could not find a solution for.
    I will install that and let you know.
    Cool beans hope it works for ya.

Cool beans hope it works for ya.
    I got a black screen just before the window logon, unfortunately. Now what should I do?

I am in safe mode right now and going to uninstall the driver and restart again.

I am in safe mode right now and going to uninstall the driver and restart again.
    After this just tell us what happens next. Other then that to be honest I really don't know, If it BSOD again tho try to write down the number of the issue it gives u.

After this just tell us what happens next. Other then that to be honest I really don't know, If it BSOD again tho try to write down the number of the issue it gives u.
    Everything runs fine. No BSOD. Just I see the "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" in device manager under Display Adapters. And I can't play anything 'cause it will use the onboard graphics card which is intel and it says that it is not within the recommended specs.

Everything runs fine. No BSOD. Just I see the "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" in device manager under Display Adapters. And I can't play anything 'cause it will use the onboard graphics card which is intel and it says that it is not within the recommended specs.
    To be honest I can't think of why it would be doing that right now.
    @chazus Do u think u mite be able to help them out?

10+ Year Old Account
    This here confuses me. If you have it plugged into the GPU, it physically -can't- use the Intel onboard. The Intel doesn't get shunted through the GPU if it has no drivers. If it's using (or trying to use) that, then you have it in the wrong port.

Humor me on a couple things;

Does it show two video adapters in device manager?
    Have you tried updating through device manager and the 'search online' option, just to see what it finds?

I feel it's going to be one of three things:
    1) Wrong port (onboard), and PCIE is turned off, or card is not working
    2) Right port, but card is not working properly, may be bad
    3) Right port, but something obscure is happening that we can't determine from current info
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Is it like this ?

almost your entire current system is old. Your ssds are ancient, you should upgrade them def.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    almost your entire current system is old. Your ssds are ancient, you should upgrade them def.
    No. Just no. His hardware isn't ancient and he definitely should not upgrade them to fix the issue. The CPU and SSD's are fine. If he were to upgrade, it would just be the GPU. Regardless, there's no point in upgrading at all if the hardware is working to his preference. If it's just a software issue, then we fix that. If it's a hardware issue, then yes, lets upgrade the GPU. But we're not there yet.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    No. Just no. His hardware isn't ancient and he definitely should not upgrade them to fix the issue. The CPU and SSD's are fine. If he were to upgrade, it would just be the GPU. Regardless, there's no point in upgrading at all if the hardware is working to his preference. If it's just a software issue, then we fix that. If it's a hardware issue, then yes, lets upgrade the GPU. But we're not there yet.
    if hes getting bsod and its not even seeing the gpu then either the gpu is dead or the mobo is partially dying. Wouldnt a newer gpu, even a 1060 get bottlenecked on that? And there is also zero things wrong with reccomending he get a much newer and bigger ssd as thier prices are solid. I have a flash drive the size of one of his ssds

10+ Year Old Account
    if hes getting bsod and its not even seeing the gpu then either the gpu is dead or the mobo is partially dying. Wouldnt a newer gpu, even a 1060 get bottlenecked on that? And there is also zero things wrong with reccomending he get a much newer and bigger ssd as thier prices are solid. I have a flash drive the size of one of his ssds
    Um. Spending money when you don't need to? That's a decent reason. If he doesn't need more space, getting more isn't going to do anything. I'd hardly call 5 years and literally current retail products 'ancient'

Even so, I'm not convinced it's a hardware issue yet (or has far from removed software from possibility)

There is also the distinct possibility that the GPU and/or RAM has become ever so slightly unseated from their proper positions. I would check the board and RAM to make sure they're snug and snapped in where they need to be, in addition to checking the PCIe power connectors on the graphics card and the four pin auxilliary power connector near the CPU on the motherboard to make sure those are also properly snapped in. A fresh install of Windows 7 giving BSODs indicates a hardware problem and outside of failing components, 99% of the time it's unseated components.

Edit: Also, it may not always register to do so, but check the GPU and CPU fans to make sure they're spinning up. GPU fans will always spin up to at least a minimum RPM on most graphics cards. Only a few with ginormous 2.5x/3x width heatsink arrays have fans that don't spin up immediately.
    Last edited by Squishy Tia; 2017-08-13 at 09:02 AM.

Upgrading the SSD makes no sense, at all, however at this point it could very well be a hardware issue tbh since he's tried many different drivers on different windows installs.

Mmm personally I'd try the graphic card in another pc if possible, but it might not be.
    As far as physical issues go, it could be the motherboard, graphic card or power supply, but before going there, lets go back to basics again, because yuh, spending money without knowing the cause is a pain in the ass really.
    Make sure the card is properly seated. (Especially if you opened the pc, don't half ass that kinda stuff)
    Make sure the power adapters for the card are properly connected.
    Make sure again that the screen is plugged into the graphic card (wherever the pcie lane is) and not into the built in one because that would explain why you get a black screen when you install drivers (As it would switch the picture to a different output throught your graphic card)

You could also try to disable the onboard graphic card to be sure in the bios if you know how to do a cmos battery reset.
    I remember having to activate one option in particular one one of my bios to be able to run my 7850 back then, but I can't recall the exact name, but I had to switch to activate some "legacy" thing for graphic adapters I can't remember about it at all, so far back ._."

Also when did the problems start ? Can you identify a time a cause or anything at all that could have led to the issues you're having.

This here confuses me. If you have it plugged into the GPU, it physically -can't- use the Intel onboard. The Intel doesn't get shunted through the GPU if it has no drivers. If it's using (or trying to use) that, then you have it in the wrong port.

Have you tried updating through device manager and the 'search online' option, just to see what it finds?

3) Right port, but something obscure is happening that we can't determine from current info
    Mmm at this point my notions are getting a bit old I guess, so imma let you continue, but his CPU also includes a graphic adapter right ? Is it possible the CPU is doing the processing and outputting through the unidentified graphic adapter ? not too shure how those intel graphics are working nowadays x-x.
    Just wondering..
    Last edited by DarkAztaroth; 2017-08-13 at 09:03 AM.

Oh I don't think it uses the intel onboard. I could be wrong on that. Or definitely wrong on that. I think it tries to use the standard vga graphics adapter to try to run the games. It also says when I run wow, that I don't have a proper graphic card installed. This is what it says when I try to run WoW: "World of Warcraft was unable to find a suitable graphics card, please check that your graphics driver is up to date and that you are not running in safe mode. For more information, please see ____ some support article on the b.net website".

It does indeed show two video cards in device manager: One is Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 and the other one is Standard VGA Graphics Adapter.

The thing is, everything was running fine like 5 days ago. I got the black screen when I was playing WoW and it happened completely random. I wasn't doing anything specific that I recall, just playing WoW normally. When I pressed the reset button on my case, it started showing the black screen right after the windows logo but before the windows logon screen. I will check though to see if everything is connected where it should be and let you guys know.

The updating the driver thing: I clicked on update driver in the device manager and chose the search online for the VGA graphics adapter one and it says it is already installed and it's up to date.

- - - Updated - - -

The SSDs seem fine to me. I actually just bought the Samsung 850 evo 240 GB like a few weeks ago. I can access everything on those SSDs. One has Windows and one has WoW (WoW is on the bigger SSD, the other one is a 128 GB one).