Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Killyox View Post
    So are they now THE Edgelord Race?
    No, I don't think so. While some lost younglings with insipid tendencies might identify their sinful subculture in them, call it goth or emo, in truth they are what they are called: Void Elves. There is no more 'edge' to them than to continental philosophers, such as Nietzsche.

Quote Originally Posted by Alayea View Post
    Looks good, but I'm still sad that highborne isn't an option.
    But there's no visible difference between a night elf and a highborne. Being highborne is simply being born into a noble enough family.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    But there's no visible difference between a night elf and a highborne. Being highborne is simply being born into a noble enough family.
    Heck, we got playable Highborne.

It's called Night Elf Mage.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elven Athena View Post
    okay, but they aren't. Classes =/= races, no matter how much dumpy writers and lore ignoramuses conflate druids with night elves and warriors with orcs.

maybe we get to kill them all? I don't see why you are arguing with me, I find the Void Elves to be worthless.

And this is where you're wrong, and apparently it's a bad thing to point out the fact that based on the response alone, here and on other forums, with the exception of a handful of 'Northeron' types, the Void Elves are giving alliance fans the simple pleasure of an Alliance Blood Elf. It's the *exact same model* Different skin tones and different hair options are about it. The skin tones basically resemble night elf tones. I've been dealing with elf crap for a long time now, trust me when I say this is going to be a massive fan service for a lot of people who want the following.
    1) a 'high elf' that is basically an Alliance belf, no specifics needed for their itch to be scratched
    2) a 'blood elf looking night elf' so they can screw around pretending they are a highborne or something
    3) an edgy, brooding 'dark race' on the Alliance
    4) simply want the aesthetics of a blood elf but on a faction their guild/friends are mostly on.
    The fact they are putting Alleria in charge of this 'race' is another fan service for these diehard Alliance players who think Alleria and Turalyon should be relevant to WoW. There is no serious development for them. The 'question of numbers' to constitute a race is out the window. But I bet this race will be exceedingly popular to the point where you can honestly see void elves vs blood elves being norm in battlegrounds.
    Zandalari trolls are the fan service to the Horde however unlike the void elves, they have a firm root in the lore. Horde players would expect nothing less. Alliance players do not care as much. Something else that can be gleaned by the fact the Horde story is always the melody in wow and the harmony is the alliance.
    Everything is a fanservice, for they forge this world with us in mind. Blood Elves are no different, the difference lies in medium: rts vs mmo. It is not extraordinary that new races come to life. At least they are more original than High Elves.

I don't see how they count as fanservice.

Anyone who wants high elves for lore reasons won't be satisfied, this is a different group of blood elves cast out from the horde. People who want high elves aesthetically won't be thrilled with void elves because of the void aesthetics. These aren't the same high elves that stuck with the alliance during wc 3, or the ones that have sided with the Alliance in past expansions. And the void features wil make rping a regular high elf very immersion breaking.

Anyone wanting to play a highborne can just roll a night elf already? Highborne returning to night elf society is the whole reason we have nelf mages at all. And the void features will kill that angle when it comes to pretending to be anything BUT a void elf.

I think the counterpart to zandalari is more dark iron dwarves. Both are groups that have been around since vanilla with established lore, while the other allied races were all introduced in Legion, though void elves more recently than the other races since they're a spin off of blood elves and not a new group. Void elves don't need a lot of introduction because their history is the history of the blood elves. They're not a separate group that we haven't met yet like the other three starting allied races, who we had to get to know in Legion. They're a new development caused by an incident it sounds like we'll get to see in game first hand when we recruit them.

They also have plenty of story potential given that the Void has supplanted the Legion as the big final enemy of the franchise.

Sure, a lot of people will play them even though they'll be a smaller group in the lore, but that goes for all of wow's playable elves.

- - - Updated - - -

only if you choose to call yourself a highborne. Night elf mage doesn't automatically equal highborne.
    Yeah you can rp a highborne or just a neld mage learning from them like the girl in feralas.

10+ Year Old Account
    only if you choose to call yourself a highborne. Night elf mage doesn't automatically equal highborne.
    While true, it is also the option to be a Highborne. Or, by that logic, you can call yourself a Highborne Warrior, or Rogue, or Demon Hunter (like Illidan).

okay, but they aren't. Classes =/= races, no matter how much dumpy writers and lore ignoramuses conflate druids with night elves and warriors with orcs.
    I meant more in terms of people whining about 'X is this and its not my personal preference' and 'Y has this aesthetic and I don't llliiiikkkkeeeee it!' its all the same to me whether its a race or a class. I don't care.

maybe we get to kill them all? I don't see why you are arguing with me, I find the Void Elves to be worthless.
    And that's fine. Find them to be worthless. I can still roll one however you find them. I'm arguing with you because as of Antorus the Legion threat of Sargeras is effectively nullified, the Void isn't. Demon Hunters were built to beat the Legion. The Legion is beaten. The Void is not. Explain to me how Demon Hunters have all this future potential but something built off the Void doesn't.

And this is where you're wrong, and apparently it's a bad thing to point out the fact that based on the response alone, here and on other forums, with the exception of a handful of 'Northeron' types, the Void Elves are giving alliance fans the simple pleasure of an Alliance Blood Elf. It's the *exact same model* Different skin tones and different hair options are about it. The skin tones basically resemble night elf tones. I've been dealing with elf crap for a long time now, trust me when I say this is going to be a massive fan service for a lot of people who want the following.
    1) a 'high elf' that is basically an Alliance belf, no specifics needed for their itch to be scratched
    2) a 'blood elf looking night elf' so they can screw around pretending they are a highborne or something
    3) an edgy, brooding 'dark race' on the Alliance
    4) simply want the aesthetics of a blood elf but on a faction their guild/friends are mostly on.
    The fact they are putting Alleria in charge of this 'race' is another fan service for these diehard Alliance players who think Alleria and Turalyon should be relevant to WoW. There is no serious development for them. The 'question of numbers' to constitute a race is out the window. But I bet this race will be exceedingly popular to the point where you can honestly see void elves vs blood elves being norm in battlegrounds.
    Zandalari trolls are the fan service to the Horde however unlike the void elves, they have a firm root in the lore. Horde players would expect nothing less. Alliance players do not care as much. Something else that can be gleaned by the fact the Horde story is always the melody in wow and the harmony is the alliance.
    Here are three threads that disagree with this assessment. This took me less than a minute to find. There are people wanted High Elves and are disappointed with Void Elves, regardless of what you state their opinion is.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...light=void+elf

10+ Year Old Account
    They look like EMO elves to me...

No most people don't tend to RP in combat, but it's not just the combat void form. Their voice lines are all echoey, they have blue/purple skin tones and voidy glowing hair. People 'can' rp high elves with them the same way they 'can' rp a human or night elf as a high elf, but it's going to be immersion breaking all the same.

We have some night elf students of highborne in feralas. Don't recall seeing many night elf mages in Dalaran though if they're there that's cool. Either way it was the introduction of the highborne that was used as the plot excuse for nelf mages back i Cataclysm, they even had a couple of npcs talking about it in late Wrath to build up to it.

Yes, the quest with the Nighborne is linked. But it's not DEPENDANT on the nightborne quest. Alleria goes to Silvermoon for reasons unrelated to the nightborne, her and Thalysyra just happen to visit at the same time. Alleria asks to see the sunwell, and all the Nightborne presence does is give horde players doing that quest something to fight. Alleria's incident has nothing to do with the nightborne. You could cut out Thalysra and things would still play out the same. Alleria shows up to try and get the belves in the Alliance, gets shot down, asks to see Sunwell, her voidyness causes an incident, she's told to leave, goes to see other exiles, saves them from the void, they all go back to the Alliance. It crosses over with the nightborne introduction but is not dependant on them, isn't leaching off of them. Thalysra being there doesn't actually impact the story from the alleria/void elf point of view.

The void elves are bringing some sort of hub it looks like that's been datamined. We also don't know that hte dark irons will be homeless in BFA, they could easily be getting a hub of their own and it could well be that the reason we have to unlock dark irons despite them already being alliance members since Cata is that we're gettin the rest of them to sign on board instead of just Moira's faction. We'll have to see how it plays out.

My point with populations is not that nelves and belves are almost extinct or anything but that they, especially blood elves, get a higher percentage of players than they make up in their factions lore wise i numbers. Hell only a handful of pandaren are actually shown to join either faction. So I don't see void elves being a problem in this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerfest View Post
    They look like EMO elves to me...
    More or less than Illidan, who spends his time either complaining about being friendzoned by Tyrande or letting you know exactly how much sacrifice he made so he can fight evil because he's dark but totally against evil, you know?

Deleted
    no, Tyrande lifting the law forbidding practising the arcane is the reason you have nelf mages. The Kirin Tor, not the Highborne, have taken the lead in teaching Night Elf mages which is why so many of the NPCs you see have been associated with them. And that is a good thing, the Highborne are arrogant assholes with obsolete magic that was mocked by the Blood Elves who used it against them in the Horde quests in Azshara.
    the mighty Highborne of Eldre'Thalas returned and thats the reason we got playable night elf mages. there are plenty of night elf students in feralas, and you can see 'The Highborne' (thats the title they carry in game) teach them. there are also many other Shen'dralar Highborne teatchers scattered through Kalimdor as you level up a night elf. they also have some very interesting npcs that unfortunately were forgotten in legion.
    kirin tor has night elf mages but at least in game you can see way more night elf students under the guidance of the highborne instead of the kirin tor

Quote Originally Posted by Arikan View Post
    More or less than Illidan, who spends his time either complaining about being friendzoned by Tyrande or letting you know exactly how much sacrifice he made so he can fight evil because he's dark but totally against evil, you know?
    They sacrificed EVERYTHING, what have YOU given?!

Quote Originally Posted by Florena Emberlin View Post
    They sacrificed EVERYTHING, what have YOU given?!
    I donated $20 to their office fundraiser.

10+ Year Old Account
    Might be a bit off subject but I wonder if we'll see Allied Race NPCs in BFA. Like will there be a Void Elf giving out PvP Gear? A Highmountain Tauren teaching me herbalism?

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Might be a bit off subject but I wonder if we'll see Allied Race NPCs in BFA. Like will there be a Void Elf giving out PvP Gear? A Highmountain Tauren teaching me herbalism?
    Hopefully the allied races won't be forgotten, but only time will tell. Given that blizz has let several main races go long stretches of time without doing anything meaningful or getting much screen time, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    I wouldn't get my hopes up too much, especially as Blizzard has says they are keeping the door open on allied races moving forward. As of right now once BfA gets going there will be 10 races per faction with likely more coming in the future. I'd think its most likely there's a quest hub based around them for the sake of pretending to implement them fully into the world, but not much past that, there's simply too many balls in the air as far as races go.

Outside of the monk class hall and the assorted established NPC (like Taoshi in the rogue class hall), how many Pandaren NPCs did we see scattered around Legion?

generalise much? No one has a problem with Tauren. or the Worgen for that matter though all the vicious savagery the Worgen were *supposed* to bring to the Alliance was washed away in the tide of terrible writing that is the Alliance story. Never the less, Pandaren weren't hated because they were bear people, they were hated cause of the hypocritical attitude they brought to the story, telling everyone their emotions are the source of their problems when all they do is suppress them because they are scared of the monsters that feed upon them, hiding from the world. Void Elves are loved far more than they are hated. People wanted alliance blood elves and got them. Some of us prefer substantive content to the Alliance and got the same old bad writing with a fan services as if we cared about Alleria and Turalyon.

No, the hatred for Pandaren is not quite as nuanced as that. Plenty of people hate them "coz Kung Fu Pandas" or "coz childish pandabears don't belong in this SAVAGE game!!"...

Demon hunters aren't a race though, they are a class made up of two races atm with potential for more later on. 'Void Weaver' or something stupid like that would make sense for a class. With Alleria being some neutral character that guides all races engaged in it. It could step on shadow priest toes but not any more than shadow priests step on warlock toes if done right. Void Elves are a fan service hence their meme status.
    To be fair, Demon Hunters were a fan service too.

The amount of anger being thrown around over not liking some playable race in a video game is really silly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    I hope they change the posture of void elves to not stand like blood elves. That will make them different enough for me.
    But that would take effort! It's much easier to copy and paste a few races for Alliance and give them some new skin tones...easy peasy done! >.>