Thread: fat vs thin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Blysto View Post
    This is true, but most people who work full time can't do that during the lunch.
    Guess this is one of the advantages of living in a poor post-communistic country then. We are required by law to take (a lunch) break during our work hours and the infrastructure is here, ready for the demand as well, with pretty much any restaurant offering cheap lunch meals (for about a half to 2/3 of the price when compared to similar dish ordered a la carte). And big office complexes usually come with their own canteen for serving lunches as well.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    But on to the topic, the only thing I see on your list that's cheap is eggs. I love eggs. They're great. But ham, fresh fruit, fresh veg, real butter, definitely cheese, can be expensive.

And I failed to mention the startup costs. Like, I have everything I need. Name a seasoning and I probably have it. That's expensive. So when a new cook looks at a recipe and sees they're going to spend $50 to make a proper fajita, why would you? It's $2 for some frozen mac and cheese I can just microwave.
    Huh, never really thought about that.
    I like to cook, so when I see that I need new ingredients (usually spices, specialty oil, ...), I just buy it. Most seasoning doesn't go bad if stored properly though, so once you get it, you're set for a while. But my point was, you don't need to cook healthy if you don't want to as long as you eat your 'unhealthy' food for lunch and for dinner eat stuff that doesn't require much preparation.

When I'm watching what I eat, my dinner usually consists of something like slice of ham, scrambled eggs and couple tomatoes. Or a cube of cottage cheese with paprika and tomatoes (I eat tomatoes a lot btw, great stuff to keep your stomach filled without any real consequences), stuff like that. No real preparation required and very healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    The thin are often thin because they exercise and watch their diet. Keeping count on calories is generally the most important thing as far as weight alone is concerned, and it's very much possible to actually lose weight eating only McD stuff and counting calories.
    In fact, recent research has shown than exercise is only slightly important in weight control.

What most people don't seem to realize is that a salad from McD with the full dressing packet is more calories, fat, and sodium than a big mac with small fries.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Deleted
    I feel like I'm lacking the education.

For example, I am right now sitting in my chair just before lunch, and I got a sandwich with instant noodles planned to eat. However, I have a huge craving for a packet of crisps and a can of diet coke. Now, I'm fairly certain the coke and the crisps are more unhealthy than the sandwich. But what I don't know is by how big of a difference, on an empty stomach that is.

To some people it might seem irrelevant, but I which is a student and sometimes needs a kick or a boost whenever I have a big study session ahead of me, knowing what impact thing I put in my body will have on me could help a lot on planning what I eat.

In fact, recent research has shown than exercise is only slightly important in weight control.

What most people don't seem to realize is that a salad from McD with the full dressing packet is more calories, fat, and sodium than a big mac with small fries.
    Well, it's true, because unless you're exercising A LOT, you won't be burning many calories. You'll rather be turning the fat into muscles, but you'll be getting visibly thinner because muscles are much denser and weigh a lot more than fat. I know I got thin due in 90% to changing my food habits, though I also exercised.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

The way these things usually work is that the rich decide what's fashionable by choosing the look that's the hardest for poor people to copy. So if all the working class schlubs out there started eating better and getting in shape, then the wealthy folks would just deem that to be low class and go in the opposite direction. Health is at best a secondary concern here.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't afford to eat healty? It is more that people are lazy and rather go to some crappy resturant and eat unhealty food there instead of cooking at home. Or lazy in that why that they buy pre-made food like frozen pizza etc instead of like making your own pizza, which in the end also tastes better, is cheaper and you can have whatever you want on it.

Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Anyone else find it interesting how centuries ago only the wealthy/nobles were fat because they could afford to eat rich foods & lots of it while the common folk were thin because often they had no food but currently the wealthy are thin because they can afford to eat the "right" foods & exercise while the poorer folks are fat because they can't afford to eat the "right" foods?
    Wealth is not necessary to be fat anymore, therefore it isn't impressive to be a fat lazy slob.

It's not interesting, it's pretty much just par for the course - money, discipline, and taking care of yourself is impressive. Being fat today is none of that.
    Last edited by Segus1992; 2018-01-16 at 01:05 PM.

You live in a blessed society.

Employees in my state get a 30 minute unpaid lunch/dinner break, by law, if they work over 8 hours on that shift. And my state is generous.
    I would not call it blessed altogether, but it's good that a 30-minute paid lunch break being included in an 8-hour day is something no government (or major employer) would dare mess with. Having the time to eat lunch unhurriedly is almost as important for one's health as what that lunch is.

Deleted
    This is not true.

Quote Originally Posted by h4rr0d View Post
    Guess this is one of the advantages of living in a poor post-communistic country then. We are required by law to take (a lunch) break during our work hours and the infrastructure is here, ready for the demand as well, with pretty much any restaurant offering cheap lunch meals (for about a half to 2/3 of the price when compared to similar dish ordered a la carte). And big office complexes usually come with their own canteen for serving lunches as well.

Huh, never really thought about that.
    I like to cook, so when I see that I need new ingredients (usually spices, specialty oil, ...), I just buy it. Most seasoning doesn't go bad if stored properly though, so once you get it, you're set for a while. But my point was, you don't need to cook healthy if you don't want to as long as you eat your 'unhealthy' food for lunch and for dinner eat stuff that doesn't require much preparation.

When I'm watching what I eat, my dinner usually consists of something like slice of ham, scrambled eggs and couple tomatoes. Or a cube of cottage cheese with paprika and tomatoes (I eat tomatoes a lot btw, great stuff to keep your stomach filled without any real consequences), stuff like that. No real preparation required and very healthy.
    Right, it's something you accumulate. I buy most spices whole, and I have three coffee grinders and two mortar/pestles at home for grinding them. But if you're just getting started it seems ridiculous to buy $30 worth of cumin, coriander seed, paprika, and oregano just to season some veg for a glorified taco. I said proper fajitas, so you'll need skirt steak. I can get that far under retail price because of contacts. Otherwise, I have to go to a specialty butcher not connected with any of the major stores.

A new cook won't know that you can just substitute flank steak. And this mission therefore becomes impossible.

The reason I said fajitas is it's an easy dish, just requiring one skillet and a burner hot enough to sear.

[inserting reminder about unheatlhy eating]

Friends sometimes ask how I'm so thin, because whenever we're out I eat the most unhealthy thing on any menu. The reason: because on any given day I mostly just eat lettuce, cucumber, olives, tomato, and cheese. They don't see me when I'm doing that. They only see when I get a triple bacon cheeseburger with extra bleu mayo and a shot of lard.

Not actually the shot of lard, but you get my point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    I would not call it blessed altogether, but it's good that a 30-minute paid lunch break being included in an 8-hour day is something no government (or major employer) would dare mess with. Having the time to eat lunch unhurriedly is almost as important for one's health as what that lunch is.
    No, the full law is this: A 15 minute paid break for every four hours worked. A 30 minute UNPAID break if the shift is longer than 8 hours. Reasonable restroom breaks.

I'm not sure if you've been to the US, but 30 minutes is maybe long enough to get the nearest McD and back. And that's for my state, which is among the best for worker protections.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Agreed. It's an excuse that many people use because they aren't willing to eat healthy or even spend too much time on cooking.

There are entire YouTube channels where people shop in budget supermarkets (like Lidl for example) and manage to eat a healthy, varied dinner every day.
    In the US this is certainly a problem. All the unhealthy crap like high fructose corn sirup get subsidized. While healthier foods do not.

If you are a single mom working minimum wage (maybe even multiple jobs) and the choice is between a broccoli and 8 pre made cheeseburgers, well it´s not much of a choice. Thats not even getting into processed meat in the US.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    I do a full week worth of meal prep for $35, thats 2 chicken breast a night, assorted veggies, noon meal prep that includes hard boiled eggs, 2 beef or turkey patties (just burger patties), and "snacks" during the day which are usually just a serving of peanuts.

Just because people decide to spend their money on oreos, hamburger helper, chips, and all the other shit I see people buying. My parents will go food shopping for example, spend hundreds of dollars, and literally come home with no actual food, its incredible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toogoodman View Post
    I do a full week worth of meal prep for $35, thats 2 chicken breast a night, assorted veggies, noon meal prep that includes hard boiled eggs, 2 beef or turkey patties (just burger patties), and "snacks" during the day which are usually just a serving of peanuts.

Just because people decide to spend their money on oreos, hamburger helper, chips, and all the other shit I see people buying. My parents will go food shopping for example, spend hundreds of dollars, and literally come home with no actual food, its incredible.
    Well let us all know when you have a wife and 3 kids, both adults working full time, kids play sports etc and all of you eat that way.

Anyone else find it interesting how centuries ago only the wealthy/nobles were fat because they could afford to eat rich foods & lots of it while the common folk were thin because often they had no food but currently the wealthy are thin because they can afford to eat the "right" foods & exercise while the poorer folks are fat because they can't afford to eat the "right" foods?
    Being fat is choice.

Healthy food is not more expensive than unhealthy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    What's the point of this thread? I mean just the general rich and poor statement makes you sound ignorant. The rich ate more, did less strenuous activity overall I mean hell they had people help them dress, and let's be real exercise wasn't a thing back then. I mean today we have all this technology that reduces the amount of calories we burn. Not to mention we have an abundance of cheap high calorie foods. People who are overweight eat more than they should and do less activity than required to burn those calories. We don't need another thread about it do we?

Deleted
    Yeah, nah you can just eat less. Chicken breast, frozen veg, its cheap. There's a few more contributing factors though, such as time. Poor people tend to have less time.
    Rich people can afford to keep their wife at home away from the wage-slave lifestyle so she can cook decent dinners for the family while only the husband works. The poor can't do it these days.
    The government tricking women into the workforce to be tax contributors was the biggest scam of the last 100 years, look at the correlation of wages and when women entered the workforce (1960s-1970s). Wages practically flat-lined while productivity still increased.
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...real_wages.jpg
    Both parents working means sharing of home responsibilities and often expensive childcare and a larger workload, less time, more stress and less overall happiness for all. Likely lead to to more divorces as well and unhappy kids.
    so you get rushed dinners, and more fat people.
    lower birthrate as well
    overall a more miserable population, studies show most women that have kids would prefer quitting work to look after them and that liberal women are in actuality more miserable than traditional women, even this left wing rag agrees.
    http://fortune.com/2016/10/05/working-moms-stay-home/
    http://time.com/4068559/gallup-poll-...-home-mothers/
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rofession.html
    https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...n-want-careers
    Last one is my favorite, yes ladies start a business so you can hire a poor person to put your husbands socks away, sounds like modern day slavery to me. Liberals eh?

In the end i kinda went on a tangent but i believe this is the biggest contributor to the fat epidemic, people just don't have enough time to cook decent meals anymore (exercise too, the rise of office jobs and commuting don't help).

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    Well let us all know when you have a wife and 3 kids, both adults working full time, kids play sports etc and all of you eat that way.
    Choosing shit food is a choice, you can spend WAY more on garbage than on actual meals. I have a gf i live with, who has a lot of diet restrictions, and we make it work for almost the exact price as my food, no kids, but I decided to be responsible and not have 3 kids before I was able to support them properly with food and housing.

Also, I hate the argument of "oh, kids need to change up what they eat every night, they get picky". Yet the same people are the ones giving their kids PB&J with chips and soda every night, wondering why theyre fat.

7+ Year Old Account
    There is no "right" and "wrong" food, only wrong amount. Fat people have no restrains, they wouldn't be fat if they eat only half of a pizza instead whole one or two. Or drink tea or clear water instead of two bottles of carbonated soda per day.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I think the OP means more, the chances of cheap healthy food is slimmer than the chance of a happy meal on discount.

Wrong, buying ingredients and cooking meal at home is a cheapest (and healthiest if you want) way to get fed. But people are lazy and buying fast food is easier, this is not about being poor.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toogoodman View Post
    Choosing shit food is a choice, you can spend WAY more on garbage than on actual meals. I have a gf i live with, who has a lot of diet restrictions, and we make it work for almost the exact price as my food, no kids, but I decided to be responsible and not have 3 kids before I was able to support them properly with food and housing.

Also, I hate the argument of "oh, kids need to change up what they eat every night, they get picky". Yet the same people are the ones giving their kids PB&J with chips and soda every night, wondering why theyre fat.
    Sure buddeh. Again. Let me know when family life with kids and full time jobs lets the entire family run a diet that seems designed for cutting. It´s such a weak non argument. look I can do it so everyone must be able to because everyone has exactly the same life as me. Seems very sheltered tbh.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cizr View Post
    Being fat is choice.

Healthy food is not more expensive than unhealthy.
    Depends on where you live.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    Sure buddeh. Again. Let me know when family life with kids and full time jobs lets the entire family run a diet that seems designed for cutting. It´s such a weak non argument. look I can do it so everyone must be able to because everyone has exactly the same life as me. Seems very sheltered tbh.
    My lifestyles sheltered? My parents raised me on the shittiest diet one could have, fast food nearly every night, and if there was a home cooked meal, it was a calorie circus. They also spend a shit ton of money monthly, on what amounted to no food. Did they try? obviously, they had almost no knowledge of nutrition, or healthy eating, but trying didn't stop me from being a fat teenager. I was able to ascend that, and become the fitness and health lover I am today, because I was taught properly. The biggest issues are that no one has any idea what to do, and the school system (here in the US at least) teaches jack shit on it. Happy meals, and all that other shit ends up costing people and society far more than just being an adult, and cooking an actual meal for yourself and your family, I will also be leading by example in my family, showing my children that fitness and health is fun, since the only way kids learn is by you showing them.

Also, my bulking diet is much different, add in complex carbs, like rice, tortillas, starches, and you achieve the excess you desire to add mass, it hardly changes the price of the meal preps.