WoW and Destiny 2 similarities?

Apologies if this is in the wrong section. I wasn’t 100% sure where to put it.

So I’m facing a bit of a dilemma. I’ve played WoW for 10 years, and it’s pretty much been one of my top favorite games of all time. The guild I’ve played with for all that time has been mature, laid-back, and tons of fun to hang around. They’ve been the reason I stuck with the game even when I wanted to quit. Unfortunately, over the past year or so, leadership has been given to someone who runs it like a hardcore raiding guild, and has been attracting more competitive players who are neither mature nor fun to play with. All but 4 of the crew I ran with for so many years has either quit the guild or stopped playing the game. As a result, I’ve been on a roughly 6 months on, 6 months off relationship with WoW, where I’ll play for a while and chat with my buds, and then I’ll get bored of the repetition and quit. I’m coming up on the 6th month off and I’m feeling the craving to resub, but something else has caught my eye: Destiny 2.

I haven’t played the first Destiny game, since I only have a PC, but I always heard great things about it while it was out. I’ve played online shooters before, mostly the Battlefield series, and Borderlands 1 and 2 are favorites of mine as well. Other than that and whatever I can glean from videos and articles, I have NO idea what to expect from Destiny 2 or if it will sate my MMO craving at all. Fortunately, I’ve found a new group of mature and laid-back people who are planning a presence in the game, so at least I would have someone to play with should I go that route.

That leads me to my question (took long enough, didn’t it?): for those with experience in both games, how similar are WoW and Destiny? And does Destiny feel like an MMO or just an online FPS with a gear grind?

pretty different honestly, namely being an FPS there is no holy trinity, if you played DPS in WoW that wont matter much most likely. If you liked BL1 and 2 give it a shot. It's got a touch of that flavor, but less guns (loot) and different style of humor. that said i've never done a raid in destiny 1/2 because i tend to run solo and just queue for 3 mans, and since there is now LFR equal for raiding in destiny i've skipped them. I can't commit to raid nights across 2 games sadly.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22