Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Why are some people saying realmpop is not reliable when all it does is scan the armory or api. Sure, it isn't indicative of the active players (which can be inferred by financial statements) or actual raiders (in this case warcraftlogs show locks, specifically affliction, is one of the more popular dps), but realmpop doesn't seem to make any inferences to that. The problem is the people assuming things about the data.

Furthermore, locks were one of the least played class even at the height of their power during MoP and one of the least played class even before DH was announced, least played ranged in Cata... and it goes on. Maybe it doesn't have anything to do with balance or state of the game, but something else external like negative societal views on demonic magic and witch tropes. Similarly, :wheelchair: ret paladin :wheelchair: has been shit for years and they are extremely popular.
    Last edited by worcester; 2018-01-19 at 06:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    Is realmpop REALLY a reliable source...?
    Yes it is, it's got tens of millions of characters in the database that gets updated via the WoW API itself. The numbers are pretty much 99.9+% accurate.
    Last edited by Zenny; 2018-01-19 at 07:50 AM.

That looks like weird data to me. What are the odds of three different realms having exactly 48.752 alliance players?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    That looks like weird data to me. What are the odds of three different realms having exactly 48.752 alliance players?
    That's due to connected realms.

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    connected realms, it's a single server for realm pop.

As for warlocks, i think it's fine for one class to have more/less representation than the other. Awful class revamp didn't help either, they are trying to bring things back though (destruction fix). I play warlock btw.
    Last edited by Dnusha; 2018-01-19 at 07:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ive mained a warlock from vanilla to Legion. After ToS I finally rerolled DK (eventhough aff is top FOTM), its just too boring and flavorless. Demo is crappy to play with weak demons and weak control of demons and destro is clunky.

I tried warlocks but never got higher then level 20. So that to me seems that I have:
    A: no clue how great it is to play one at level 110
    B: the fact that I quit at that level is proof for me that it just isn't that fun

Small selection of pets sucks compared to a hunter.
    Can only do dps.
    I play heroic "good" guys, not heroic "evil' guys. Though I do like the spells the warlock has.

That said, I also do not play a mage higher then 50 either. I tried so hard to like it. But it just does not grow on me. Same with a rogue. Same with a hunter (tho that is starting to trickle in).

Generally I like playing a:
    1. warrior**
    2. paladin***
    3. death knight
    4. priests (not shadow)
    5. shamans*
    6. druids**
    (ones with the most starts I love to play the most)

I like playing my Warlock. He's not my main, but he's always been my first alt and is always the second character I level in a new expansion.

What's boring to one person if fun to another. Like for instance I find Mages to be excruciatingly boring with Shadow Priests close behind Mages. Though the same goes for Demon Hunters now that I think of it, I can't stand playing mine that he just sits there at 110 never getting used because it's just mind numbingly dull to play. In fact I would actually say with Demon Hunters I have a new least favorite and most boring over Mages now, but just barely.

I know Warlocks way back in Vanilla, BC, and most of Wrath were just a nightmare to play because of always having to have soul shards and them taking up extremely valuable bag space. Personally, I don't think some people have ever given them a second thought if they played them back then because of all the maintenance they required. No other class really has ever had to do what Warlocks used to have to do in the past just to perform as a dps. Everyone else just went to a reagent vendor to get their stuff. I knew several people that gave up on Warlocks back then because of just small things like that. Plus it doesn't help that Blizzard is constantly changing them and how they are played, usually more so, than any other class. That's just my thoughts on way maybe some gave up on them and never gave them another shot.

I mean just saying they're boring is a weak reason, especially when some suggest their rotation and abilities are boring. I mean, come on, no class really has any kind of complex rotation or super awesome fun ability that a Warlock's just look absolutely plain in comparison. For every person who says Warlocks are boring, someone else will name another class. Personal preference really when it comes to that.

With all that though, I still love my little gnome warlock. He's powerful, gets to play with demons, and I enjoy playing him. So I could care less if so few play a Warlock, and makes the class a bit more special, in my eyes, because there are fewer of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorotia View Post
    A year later? Try a expansion later lol

They screwed the pooch when it came to Demo and the basically said don't play it and didn't bother to do anything to try and fix it till BfA.
    Yes, well an expansion tend to last for about 2 years in total but thats what I meant.
    Been maining warlock for years (not in Legion though), I know the struggle.

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoy my lock a great deal. Affliction isn't the flashiest spec visually but lighting stuff up with SoC/etc and having it all explode for just stupidly massive amounts of damage is great, great fun.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by equus80 View Post
    I like playing my Warlock. He's not my main, but he's always been my first alt and is always the second character I level in a new expansion.

What's boring to one person if fun to another. Like for instance I find Mages to be excruciatingly boring with Shadow Priests close behind Mages. Though the same goes for Demon Hunters now that I think of it, I can't stand playing mine that he just sits there at 110 never getting used because it's just mind numbingly dull to play. In fact I would actually say with Demon Hunters I have a new least favorite and most boring over Mages now, but just barely.

I know Warlocks way back in Vanilla, BC, and most of Wrath were just a nightmare to play because of always having to have soul shards and them taking up extremely valuable bag space. Personally, I don't think some people have ever given them a second thought if they played them back then because of all the maintenance they required. No other class really has ever had to do what Warlocks used to have to do in the past just to perform as a dps. Everyone else just went to a reagent vendor to get their stuff. I knew several people that gave up on Warlocks back then because of just small things like that. Plus it doesn't help that Blizzard is constantly changing them and how they are played, usually more so, than any other class. That's just my thoughts on way maybe some gave up on them and never gave them another shot.

I mean just saying they're boring is a weak reason, especially when some suggest their rotation and abilities are boring. I mean, come on, no class really has any kind of complex rotation or super awesome fun ability that a Warlock's just look absolutely plain in comparison. For every person who says Warlocks are boring, someone else will name another class. Personal preference really when it comes to that.

With all that though, I still love my little gnome warlock. He's powerful, gets to play with demons, and I enjoy playing him. So I could care less if so few play a Warlock, and makes the class a bit more special, in my eyes, because there are fewer of them.
    Best post in this topic.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Deleted
    Warlocks have always had low representation.
    That's because the class itself feels slow and most people don't like that or their theme.
    Also because it has a higher skill ceiling than some other classes, which is why you see many people complaining about damage, while in reality a properly played lock is doing great and generally has been and is one of best dps classes for raiding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Caster class = boring