10+ Year Old Account

Smile [FEEDBACK] Immersion UI – Looking for feedback for new addon

Hey Everyone!

I've just made my very first addon called Immersion UI and was hoping to get some feedback. I'm still super new to addon development and any wise-words of criticism and/or encouragement would be hugely appreciated.

Essentially, the idea is that the UI is too cluttered, taking away from a potentially more immersive gameplay experience. By smart hiding or fading UI elements, I'm hoping to more enjoy the story, scenery and overall experience, instead of getting distracted with tracked quests and running chat logs.

While I took a lot of the UI away (i.e. the mini-map), I did add a small floating compass to help you find your way.

The addon will also auto-disable itself when you enter an instanced area (dungeon, PVP, raid, etc.) so that you're not left without any useful UI tools when playing with others. The addon will auto-enable itself when you leave the area.

If you have a spare minute to please give it a try, I'd really appreciate any feedback you might have:

Code:
    Link: wow.curseforge.com/projects/immersion-ui

Still to add:
    • Auto fade the artifact power bar.
    • A native options menu for toggling the addon, chat and the compass (and other elements).

Cheers!

Subjective opinion on what does or does not make immersion.
    But you do have the right view that simply removing those does not just make it that way, only "potentially".

Personally I use the minimap a lot, and for more than just navigation to a distant location.
    Gathering, locating paths through unflyable content (pre-flying, indoors etc).

I try to contribute positively in chat when I can.

I have other gripes with quest tracking, but that it is visible isn't one of them.

Sorry I can't offer you the feedback you are looking for perhaps, but I do offer thanks for having the view that what is an improvement for one person isn't simply better for everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for your honest feedback!

You are correct, I'm definitely not under the illusion that my way is better or that it fits everyone's needs, or that it will for sure guarantee immersion.

As soon as I can wrap my head around managing addon settings via the options UI, my plan is to have everything adjustable: which individual frames you want to hide/fade, what fade percentage for in and out of combat, show or hide the compass, etc.

Your feedback was definitely what I was looking for: another point of view.

Thank you!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ugmojoe View Post
    Thanks for your honest feedback!

You are correct, I'm definitely not under the illusion that my way is better or that it fits everyone's needs, or that it will for sure guarantee immersion.

As soon as I can wrap my head around managing addon settings via the options UI, my plan is to have everything adjustable: which individual frames you want to hide/fade, what fade percentage for in and out of combat, show or hide the compass, etc.

Your feedback was definitely what I was looking for: another point of view.

Thank you!
    Yes, I would say that customisation/configuration is the one thing majorly missing from this addon. I'm now using this coupled with Immersion for a brilliant levelling setup, but the lack of being able to change the settings is really jarring and possibly drawing me to uninstall for now. At a minimum being able to get rid of the compass would be a big boon (and forcing it to be in their by default was possibly a little bit of an oversight by you), as I love using my minimap (I use SexyMap on top of the immersive UI), but being forced to find a place for the compass is a pain.

I really hope you continue to work on this, because I think it could prove to be something pretty huge and special in the addon line-up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyPup View Post
    Yes, I would say that customisation/configuration is the one thing majorly missing from this addon. I'm now using this coupled with Immersion for a brilliant levelling setup, but the lack of being able to change the settings is really jarring and possibly drawing me to uninstall for now. At a minimum being able to get rid of the compass would be a big boon (and forcing it to be in their by default was possibly a little bit of an oversight by you), as I love using my minimap (I use SexyMap on top of the immersive UI), but being forced to find a place for the compass is a pain.

I really hope you continue to work on this, because I think it could prove to be something pretty huge and special in the addon line-up.
    You're 100% right. I've been putting off adding the options page because it was going to take me a chunk of time to figure out. I was actually thinking the other day that something like SexyMap would be another add-on that would work well with the Immersion/UI combo.

Thanks for the words of inspiration, they're the push I needed to get the options window done. Expect an update soon!