Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I always wonder why people make these "Why does Blizzard do x y z?" - as anyone her would know

Seriously, just as you don't know....I don't know and unless anyone here works for Blizzard in creating pvp content...nobody knows - so your guess is as good as mine. But with the new season not adding anything...yeah..they don't seem to care. But we still don't know why they don't care.
    There could be someone that has read an interview or seen a GM post where the same question was answered.

Because Overwatch

Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zardu Hasselfrau View Post
    The real question is: Why do they (and other similar games) cater to those shitty PKers to begin with? The vast majority of the playerbase has zero interest in it, and when they force them to engage in it, it really, really shows. Yet they continue doing it. It's truly bogglesome.
    Yeah how dare people want to play the game in a different way from me. Fuck those people.

Vast majority of the playerbase has zero interest in mythic raiding so we should delete that while we're at it.

Apart from the "do a couple BGs" part of the legendary quest chain last expansion (or was it the expansion before that) no one is forced to pvp if they don't want to. I do agree that including pvp in those quest chains was a mistake though, had so many shitty pvers in my BGs expecting me to carry them.
    Ily mmoc

Quote Originally Posted by Talsar View Post
    Yeah how dare people want to play the game in a different way from me. Fuck those people.
    Yes, when they started, the entire goal of PKers was to ruin the experience of everyone else playing. And instead of shutting them down, fucktards like Blizzard encouraged them by hamfisting "PVP" into their games. Games that never were, and still aren't, designed for PVP yet they keep fucking up the rest of the game to account for it.

Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    Yes, when they started, the entire goal of PKers was to ruin the experience of everyone else playing. And instead of shutting them down, fucktards like Blizzard encouraged them by hamfisting "PVP" into their games. Games that never were, and still aren't, designed for PVP yet they keep fucking up the rest of the game to account for it.
    You mean just like you wish to ruin the experience of everyone who likes pvp in instances where it has 0 effect on you? Seems like you should relate to the PKers more than anything.

So play on a PvE server, pretend PvP doesn't exist, and live in the ignorant bliss you so desperately wish for.
    Ily mmoc

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Other's have already responded about just residing on a PvE server but let's be completely honest. Most MMO's out there have some form of PvP in their game. There are plenty of people who primarily PvE that and enjoy PvE and visa versa. Your take/desire for WoW is honestly very different than mine. I like PvP; instanced and open world. I wish things wern'te going the way they are in BfA where everyone has to flag but that's blizzards decision. It is ultimately in blizzards best interests however to maintain some form of PvP simply for the fact that they will lose subs if they don't. Now I understand you may not give a flying fuck with regards to that but I certainly do. I hope blizzard continues to invest in PvP and some how find the means to give it a strong injection in the coming expansion. There are plenty of other games out there for PvP'ers but there aren't very many games that have good well polished mechanics, decent balance and a strong PvE side. WoW in many ways is still the behemoth for many of us PvP'er because we still like other aspects of the game that other games just cannot deliver on.

From a veteran player's perspective, I'll do my best to lay it out:

1) Blizzard doesn't see the potential to make easy money from it. This is by far the biggest reason. It wasn't until after Starcraft 2 struggled so hard to grow a competitive scene and got utterly destroyed by League of Legends that Blizzard really started to get the hint that there was a huge competitive driving force in gaming and a need to nurture it is critical for a competitive games' financial success. They know it's possible and they're trying to do this with Overwatch and to a less extent Hearthstone, but if you read reddit, you know even there they're doing a poor job.
    2) The hype ship has sailed. The heyday of competitive World of Warcraft is largely seen as from release to Wrath of the Lich King. Today, people see competitive wow pvp as a niche boring and uninteresting. "Lol, you play wow arenas? It's so old and boring, just go play League." I can't count the number of times I've heard that after 2010.
    3) Not worth their time and effort. This is sort of a cause and effect slippery-slope aspect of why WoW pvp has failed so badly. They don't make content because not many people bother with PvP. In turn, many people don't bother with PvP because they don't put out new content. Repeat over and over again until we're in the current situation.

Deleted
    Personally I have to disagree with the OP statement.

Firstly: I hate the pvp changes of Legion and think PvP currently is in the worst state ever.

However, this expansion had by far the most pvp changes and incentive to recreate wow pvp. It just didn't work, was a horrible experiment and backfired tremendously. It basically eredicated the pvp community.

So why didn't blizz intervene here? Because they couldn't. These changes were so deeply baked into the expansion and would have needed another expansion workload to even revert them. However reverting them is not the best idea so they just went with the only option left: Change it for better with the coming expansion rather than trying to screw around with a completely unworking system.

At least I hope it is that way. Currently we have no pvp changes or even clues about directions in the alpha.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazuk View Post
    As for "competitive PvP" that's pretty cancerous design for an MMORPG in general. An MMORPG PvP should not be "competitive." What we actually need is a sense that we are at war with the enemy faction, with unique NPC's with personality, story and AI providing backstory and lore, strategies and choices available and stemming from completing objectives as well as based on the topography of the map or just the NPC's abilities.
    Kind of like a raid, except your faction's commander is the main boss, and instead of killing wave upon wave of monsters you cooperate with your faction's NPC's and other players to attain victory.
    What you describe is basically original AV.
    The issue is that large scale PvP has rarely worked out and the only time it received broad appeal was Wintergrasp.

Any other take on large scale PvP can be pretty much seen as failure.

AV => To get reasonable play time for a single game, changes have been made to turn the BG into a brainless rush (mostly).
    IoC => The most imbalanced BG in the entire map pool.
    Tol Barad => Forgettable copy of Wintergrasp that only allowed a randomnly selected portion to play the game. (hardly counts as large scale)
    Ashran => "Old AV but new" reminded everyone what a large portion of the playerbase thinks off large scale pvp - not much.

Large scale PvP has massive issues to combat, aside from the obvious lag & low fps problems, Melees feel useless, Casters just mindlessly spam AoE spells and at the end the side with more healers (which aren't lagging / low fps) wins, no big strategy involved.

WoW PvP (at least the BG side) has always been, queue up, fight the enemy faction for a certain objective and come out ~20min later, the most popular bg's remain the old school ones: WSG,AB and it's Cata remakes Twin Peaks and Gilneas, as those had a mix of small scale battle (1v1-3v3) as well "larger" battles like 10v10 (discounting some dead / missing people).

Quote Originally Posted by Talime View Post
    However, this expansion had by far the most pvp changes and incentive to recreate wow pvp. It just didn't work, was a horrible experiment and backfired tremendously. It basically eredicated the pvp community.
    Quite honestly, i think it has to do with the fact that there aren't a lot of "PvP only" people left.
    Most people that still play WoW play it primarily for PvE, some may PvP as well but the focus lies on PvE.

Legion dropped massive content on PvE, a lot people simply might have shelved PvP in favour of M+ or other activities.
    Perhaps that's the difference to WoD, there was nothing to do in WoW besides PvP, aside from clearing a raid once a week, so people started to pick up PvP and just rolled with it whereas in Legion they did not have to time to get into PvP.

I can only speak for myself obviously, but even as player that is interested in PvP, i only started playing it after the first half of Legion, the first two seasons went over my head completely partly because PvE kept me busy.
    Last edited by Kralljin; 2018-04-03 at 11:39 PM.

seems like quite the stretch to say they shit on it. They're trying to make an Esport of it. We probably still dont have an announced pvp lead dev bc of posts like this. Nobody wants to stand in the fire and be the face of all of the misguided hate coming from this salty community. Maybe be constructive instead of destructive. "Heres how I think pvp would be better" instead of "You suck lolol /spit pvp is trash, thanks for nothing blizz"