Is there a way to turn off shadows?

Hi,

With Patch 8.0 the "Low" setting in "Shadow Quality" option was made inactive, and from what I've heard, even if that is fixed, the "Low" setting will not be like the simple blob shadows it always used to be. Anything higher than blob shadows have a dramatic effect on performance and FPS, as well as my general enjoyment of the game because I really don't like shadows everywhere.

I tried some CVars such as

Code:
    /console extShadowQuality 0
    /console shadowLOD 0
    I tried in Config.wtf

Code:
    SET graphicsShadowQuality "1"
    but none seem to be working.

Is there a way to turn off the shadows, or at least have it like it was simple blobs before? I'm on DX11.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Eommus; 2018-07-20 at 08:55 AM.

Shadows are taking bigger part in how the game looks especially with how new locations are created. Lowest shadows aren't really performance heavy.

It also might be a sign to update your rig a bit.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Apparently blizz have said that directx12 means it can’t be done. Somewhat baffled as to why but I’d get used to it. Probably time for a gpu upgrade, that’s what I’m considering.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormegil View Post
    Apparently blizz have said that directx12 means it can’t be done. Somewhat baffled as to why but I’d get used to it. Probably time for a gpu upgrade, that’s what I’m considering.
    CPU > GPU when it comes to WoW.

Low shadows was working at some point in beta and was still just a blob, so just wait until they patch in the fix to have the option.

Quote Originally Posted by tapczan100 View Post
    Shadows are taking bigger part in how the game looks especially with how new locations are created. Lowest shadows aren't really performance heavy.

It also might be a sign to update your rig a bit.
    Thanks for your comment. My issue is more of "I don't like shadows" than the performance. So, even if I had a better system, I would still turn the shadows off because that's how I like it. Besides, lowest shadows (Fair option) becomes performance heavy combined with antialiasing, which I can't play without.

So, I am looking for what options I have to turn off shadows or to get back to the blob mode (how it was before Patch 8.0) if possible.
    Last edited by Eommus; 2018-07-20 at 08:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eommus View Post
    Thanks for your comment. My issue is more of "I don't like shadows" than the performance. So, even if I had a better system, I would still turn the shadows off because that's how I like it.

So, I am looking for what options I have to turn off shadows or to get back to the blob mode if possible.
    Think its passive with DX12, when DX12 appeared in beta, the low setting "disappeared" also.

Its the same how DX11 has the blob while Dx9 had "Off" setting.

I also can't stand shadows. Only becasue they're distracting.

Now the only way to stop them appearing everyuwhere as pixelating blocky squares is to set it to ULTRA HIGH. And I hate to think what that's doing to my fps/gpu, but anything less than Ultra High just looks terrible.

I just want the old Low setting back; no shadows.

Blizzard DOES need to upgrade the minimum graphics floor of WoW each expansion so that when people watch a video of gameplay on Youtube they don't think the game is 15 years old. So, its gonna happen.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Blizzard DOES need to upgrade the minimum graphics floor of WoW each expansion so that when people watch a video of gameplay on Youtube they don't think the game is 15 years old. So, its gonna happen.
    Unless they replace the whole engine with a modern one, nothing's gonna change.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

since the patch yesterday u can put shadows to low again

I'm still looking for any options to reduce the load of shadows on my FPS. If you know any console commands or something similar, to maybe revert back to blob shadows or remove shadows if possible, please share. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Eommus View Post
    I'm still looking for any options to reduce the load of shadows on my FPS. If you know any console commands or something similar, to maybe revert back to blob shadows or remove shadows if possible, please share. Thanks.
    Same here, hoping there's a fix/way to get rid of these shadows