Resto Lightning Bolt still hits harder than Elemental?

I remember this fun fact at the start of Legion when trying to level up my Shaman.
    It was faster to kill stuff in the world with 100% Lightning Bolt spam as Resto Shaman, than it was doing your full rotation as Elemental.
    I'm assuming this is because Ele Mastery... But when secondary stats are super low while leveling - we're screwed. Oh yeah and our crits doing 250% instead of 200%... but when you barely crit...
    How's it now?
    Haven't tried Ele myself yet.
    Edit: this is more about players that just reached level 110 and stepping into BFA leveling zones, since I guess raiders have shitloads of secondary stats so it's a no-problem for them.

(Basically all I do with Shaman each expansion since TBC - level them up and leave to rot until next expansion, I believe that's the class fantasy by Blizzard, well at least Ele)
    Last edited by Tokas; 2018-07-20 at 10:30 AM.

Deleted
    I'm leveling alt shaman, enh and ele doing soooo poor... resto deals double damage (lvl 38)

Apples to Apples it looks weird but there's a few things you need to account for....

1) Elemental Fury- Ele Crits hit for 250% instead of 200%
    2) Elemental Overload- Lightning Bolt and Lava Burst can hit a second time for 85% of the damage (these can also crit proccing Elemental Fury)
    3) Lightning Bolt generates Maelstrom which is used for Earth Shock. Resto doesn't have access to Earth Shock.

At low levels it may be better to roll as Resto but that can be said about a number of hybrids.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Bennett View Post
    Currently leveling an ele, it's unbelievably slow, we're talking 5-10 seconds per mob
    This describes pretty much all leveling atm. It took me 3 minutes to do this quest:

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Quest:Attention

Which involves literally just standing still and mashing your attacks into training dummies. They had something like 90k hp and there was two of them, i was doing around 900 dps i believe.

I'm not shit, either. I've got a half dozen rank 1 parses in mythic raids on multiple classes over the years and i was leveling a second character of my main's class - prot paladin.

They need to just straight up reduce the hp of all mobs by 50%. Avengers shield right now hits for about 6% of a mobs hp at lvl 89.

Quote Originally Posted by mkultra55 View Post
    Apples to Apples it looks weird but there's a few things you need to account for....

2) Elemental Overload- Lightning Bolt and Lava Burst can hit a second time for 85% of the damage (these can also crit proccing Elemental Fury)
    3) Lightning Bolt generates Maelstrom which is used for Earth Shock. Resto doesn't have access to Earth Shock.

At low levels it may be better to roll as Resto but that can be said about a number of hybrids.
    So I'm leveling new Shaman now, and holy shit the difference is still there.
    At level 10 Ele LB is doing 40 damage, Resto is doing 93 damage.
    I'm level 48 now I believe, and this continues every level.
    Earth Shock is nice yes, but I can use it maybe every 4th mob only.
    200 vs 250% crit is hardly, if at all, noticeable.
    And since I do not have Mastery I do not proc second bolts for 85% damage.
    So at least up until 80 it's not worth touching Ele. And I mean at all! I do some times respec just to see if it got any better - but jesus, instead of killing mobs in FS, Lava, LB, LB - I have to use two Lavas and ~5 LBs. Ridiculous.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Bennett View Post
    Currently leveling an ele, it's unbelievably slow, we're talking 5-10 seconds per mob, it's fucking garbage. And if ANY other class attacks you? You've lost, you simply don't have the damage to beat anyone

That's about average now. We've gone to pre-cata kill-times for mobs.

----

I'm going Shammy for BfA, and if LiBo spam is doing more damage on a single questing mob (read as, not alive long enough to get the whole flow going) then I'll probably quest as that. Will say though, Stormkeeper + Chain Lightning just melts a pack of mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelurf View Post
    That's about average now. We've gone to pre-cata kill-times for mobs.

----

I'm going Shammy for BfA, and if LiBo spam is doing more damage on a single questing mob (read as, not alive long enough to get the whole flow going) then I'll probably quest as that. Will say though, Stormkeeper + Chain Lightning just melts a pack of mobs.
    Until it don't and you still don't have enough malestrom to eq
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be

Pretty sure EF was removed in BFA

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Tokas View Post
    So I'm leveling new Shaman now, and holy shit the difference is still there.
    At level 10 Ele LB is doing 40 damage, Resto is doing 93 damage.
    So even if you assume Ele crits for 250% damage on every hit at level 10, it only outdamages Resto by 7 per lightning bolt.

And that's assuming 100% crit rate for Ele versus 0% for Resto.

Horrendous. How did this escape notice?

Quote Originally Posted by Drutt View Post
    So even if you assume Ele crits for 250% damage on every hit at level 10, it only outdamages Resto by 7 per lightning bolt.

And that's assuming 100% crit rate for Ele versus 0% for Resto.

Horrendous. How did this escape notice?
    the shaman team is about as busy as the diablo 3 team.

Sigh..When will people accept everything apart from -active raid tier and sets- (No sets anymore but up to now) is all that matters when it comes to balance?

Resto hits harder than elemental cause its a different Spell Power value, aka a different spell literally because its balanced around 120 level currently, 110 the whole last expansion.

Just level as resto and enjoy it till you get proper stats as Elemental.

Deleted
    It's like this for resto druid as well. I found I could output very high dps as rdruid with feral affinity, even surpassing my fury warrior partner at some points. The later secondaries are crucial for the dps specs, the healer specs just have their endgame damage rolled into the spell scaling itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokas View Post
    I remember this fun fact at the start of Legion when trying to level up my Shaman.
    It was faster to kill stuff in the world with 100% Lightning Bolt spam as Resto Shaman, than it was doing your full rotation as Elemental.
    I'm assuming this is because Ele Mastery... But when secondary stats are super low while leveling - we're screwed. Oh yeah and our crits doing 250% instead of 200%... but when you barely crit...
    How's it now?
    Haven't tried Ele myself yet.
    Edit: this is more about players that just reached level 110 and stepping into BFA leveling zones, since I guess raiders have shitloads of secondary stats so it's a no-problem for them.

(Basically all I do with Shaman each expansion since TBC - level them up and leave to rot until next expansion, I believe that's the class fantasy by Blizzard, well at least Ele)
    Well, before Lightning Bolt got buffed for Resto (it happened halfway during WoD I think), it was much much slower to level as Resto. One spec will always be the slowest, but Resto used to be ridiculously far behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Pretty sure EF was removed in BFA
    Still there. You're thinking Elemental Focus.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Still there. You're thinking Elemental Focus.
    Yep, that I was. My mistake

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Sigh..When will people accept everything apart from -active raid tier and sets- (No sets anymore but up to now) is all that matters when it comes to balance?

Resto hits harder than elemental cause its a different Spell Power value, aka a different spell literally because its balanced around 120 level currently, 110 the whole last expansion.

Just level as resto and enjoy it till you get proper stats as Elemental.
    Doing just that, but I'm allowed to be shocked, lol.