If you don't take Haunt as Aff is it bad?

I don't like the extra button in my rotation. For solo play, am wondering if not taking Haunt is an automatic fail?

For solo play? You can do anything you want.

Whether that's optimal on raid bosses is a whole other question.

Atm grimoire of sacrifice does far more damage in the pre patch, usually ends up in your top 3 or 4 for damage sometimes higher.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sascatuan View Post
    Atm grimoire of sacrifice does far more damage in the pre patch, usually ends up in your top 3 or 4 for damage sometimes higher.
    This was also my initial thought, as GoS often were 15%+ of my dmg done. But taking into account the 10% dmg buff from Haunt, your pet, and the SLIGHT dmg increase of Haunt vs Shadow Bolt, Haunt wins. (I think)...

Quote Originally Posted by Sascatuan View Post
    Not sure about this, it DEPENDS. On fights with many targets allowing for consistent multi-targeting, GoS usually wins. Also I've heard that some people's pets were set to defensive instead of "assist" resulting in decreased uptime of pet damage.

Haunt appears to be better for single-target for sure though. "Top 3 or 4 damage" we are looking at ~10% of total damage, which is roughly what your pet would be doing in single target.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tried affliction and had no idea if i was playing right... I kept up 3 dots and a channel whilst using grimoire of sacrifice, unsure if I had anything else to press. Stuff was dying bloody fast mind.

Deleted
    Why do you people just sim the difference

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    1st time since 2006 i changed from Destruct back to Affliction
    I'm finding it a lot more fun than destruct. Can still solo all the rare elites in Argus
    and mobs are dying fast.

Also in PVP im having a lot better outcomes,

Deleted
    Might get negative response for this, but blizzard nailed the affliction spec in every way, but they destroyed demonology and destruction in the progress.

In terms of aff talents, they are all viable and have a legitimate solution to a problem. Compared to for example demonology that has atleast 1 if not 2 shit tier talents in every row, it limits your play style to what we had before the pre patch, aka the illusion of choice.

Affliction on the other hand is quite a "barren" sandbox build at first, but every talent you pick is like a lush tree of your choosing ready to be planted.

Haunt is only better than Sac on 1 or 2 targets.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Haajib View Post
    Might get negative response for this, but blizzard nailed the affliction spec in every way, but they destroyed demonology and destruction in the progress.

In terms of aff talents, they are all viable and have a legitimate solution to a problem. Compared to for example demonology that has atleast 1 if not 2 shit tier talents in every row, it limits your play style to what we had before the pre patch, aka the illusion of choice.

Affliction on the other hand is quite a "barren" sandbox build at first, but every talent you pick is like a lush tree of your choosing ready to be planted.
    Completely disagree. Affliction is the worst feeling spec of the 3 now. And you say Demo is locked into certain talents well so is Affliction with Phantom Singularity and Creeping Death. Affliction also gives the illusion of choice you speak of. Haunt, SL, and Deathbolt are also the only choices on single target.
    Last edited by muto; 2018-07-21 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by solidstate101 View Post
    I don't like the extra button in my rotation. For solo play, am wondering if not taking Haunt is an automatic fail?
    It really doesn't matter what you do in solo play.

But if you want to take it to group content, just create a WA tracking Haunts cooldown. Then slam your fist on to the button when its ready. The spell really doesn't require much thought for upkeep.

Quote Originally Posted by Haajib View Post
    blizzard nailed the affliction spec in every way.
    If by "nailed" you mean turned it into a massive PITA while putting out mediocre dps, I have to agree.
    Once you loaded up dots and UAs, half the sht is already falling off again. Agony / Corruption / Haunt / Phantom Singularity / Siphon Life all having just slightly different uptimes / cooldowns doesn't help. God forbid you have to move while loading up UAs for DB, and I'm not impressed with the damage of Deathbolt at all.

I do better dps on my lower geared mage without all the BS. I loved Affl in Legion, but now it feels like garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by sappete View Post
    If by "nailed" you mean turned it into a massive PITA while putting out mediocre dps, I have to agree.
    Once you loaded up dots and UAs, half the sht is already falling off again. Agony / Corruption / Haunt / Phantom Singularity / Siphon Life all having just slightly different uptimes / cooldowns doesn't help. God forbid you have to move while loading up UAs for DB, and I'm not impressed with the damage of Deathbolt at all.

I do better dps on my lower geared mage without all the BS. I loved Affl in Legion, but now it feels like garbage.
    Clearly you are playing your lock the wrong way then...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sappete View Post

Aff does a fair bit of damage right now man, sorry things aren't clicking.

Im torn between running demo and affli atm. Not sure whos lego to buy and im equally concerned that demo might be the FOTM spec going into BfA

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzyorcborne View Post
    Im torn between running demo and affli atm. Not sure whos lego to buy and im equally concerned that demo might be the FOTM spec going into BfA
    Unless your'e doing high end progression raiding then I'd just pick whats the most fun for you and what fits your playstyle best. If you do progression then you will just go with whats doing the best atm (or just try them out and see what you do the best with) like the rest of us generally do until fights are on farm status.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzyorcborne View Post
    BiS leggos don't really matter now. Concentrate on what you'll want for levelling. To my mind, just grab yourself Sephuz and/or Netherlord. Can't really go wrong with either for either spec, and Prydaz will be useless with the Azerite neck. Gateway trousers might be worth it for the sheer stats. Besides, you'll be replacing them in 3 weeks and 5 levels.

OT Haunt is great. XD I'm having trouble fitting in Deathbolt though, I'm not taking Dark Soul: Misery either atm. Hopefully Drain Soul and Creeping Death will be viable options come 120.
    Last edited by Dyra; 2018-07-23 at 04:45 PM.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

Deleted
    how can you have trouble fitting deathbolt in ???

you put up dots you cast 1-2 UAs and use Deathbolts.

with Darkglare you simply spend all your UAs and use Deathbolt