It's pretty easy to see why people prefer M+ over what we had in past expansions.. I don't think that should even be up for discussion. What I don't exactly understand is why people keep mindlessly farming them even now.

E.g on my friend's list, like 10-15 people seem to do nothing but spam M+s, and they're not pushing like world-first 31s or anything. They just seem to love doing mid-high level keys over, and over, and over, and over, and they certainly don't need the gear, being 11/11M for ages. I don't see how it could be for the fun either, I mean, how many times can you find Halls of Valor interesting and engaging..

The OP does have one point however that I'm interested in. The number of dungeons. I find the current number we're being given to be pretty pathetic.

Why can't we bring back the days of TBC/WotLK dungeon-wise, where we have 2-4 dungeons per "art-type", instead of only 1? Why do we have to create brand-new art-assets for every single dungeon, exponentially increasing development time?

Take Auchindoun in TBC for example. There were 4 dungeons there. Sure, the walls looked kinda similar, and there were lots of corridors. But who cares? The themes in each were HUGELY different, and as a result, felt like the completely different experiences that they were.

We had Mana Tombs, where you're fighting Ethereals. We had Crypts, where we're fighting Undead. We had Sethekk Halls, where we're fighting Arakkoa. And finally we had Shadow Labs, where we're fighting the Burning Legion. They felt NOTHING LIKE each other other than they saved days upon days of dev time by using re-usable assets.

Why can't they do this again, and actually provide a decent number of dungeons again, for variety's sake?