Sub-Class Concept

Hello everyone,

Today i would like to discuss my vision of how sub classes can work in WoW.

So I think that Blizzard should make sub classes a cosmetic thing instead of adding whole new classes. The sub classes will be just like the pandaria warlock quest. It will make all your spells look different (new animations, names, icons) but make it for every single specialization.

To give you an idea, here is an example: The Time-Wizard Sub class

This will work for frost arcane and fire mage
    example abilities:
    (Frost):

Frostbolt - Sandbolt - same animation as frostbolt except in yellow color so it looks like sand
    Water Elemental - Sand Elemental - Sand elemental model
    Blizzard - Sandstorm - Spawn dust tornadoes or falling sand

(Arcane):

Presence of Mind - Essence of Time - new icon
    Arcane Barrage - Scale Barrage - launches scales of a bronze dragon
    Arcane Explosion - Time Bomb - Yellow tint to the explosion

(Fire):

Dragon's Breath - Nozdormu's Flame - Head of Nozdormu, yellow fire
    Fire Blast - Time Blast - purple/yellow tint
    Scorch- Erosion - Sand texture instead of fire

This was the first idea I had and the only thing i really wanted in the start is having a Sand elemental instead of a water elemental. I didnt think of alot of the different spells so this might not be that well made but i think you get the idea.

Of course Time Wizard is only one idea. You can have Fel mage , Twilight's hammer with void tendrils and stuff like that.
    For Warrior you can have something like Valarjar that turns you into a stormforged valarjar and summons valkyries. You can have a geode themed sub class that fits with the tier 11 warr set. Have crystal themed abilites in different colors.
    For Hunter you can have a dark ranger that has spells themed around sylvanas and undead and stuff. You can have a Fel hunter that summons fel stalkers instead of beasts and has fel themed shots
    For Shamans you can have a spirit walker that has spirit themed abilities that summons spirits instead of elementals. Have a water shaman that uses water abilities and turns into a fish instead of a spirit wolf.
    For Demon Hunters have a redeemed version with light tattoos and be exactly what x'era wanted illidan to be. Or have a version of the demon hunters that has accepted the power of the void and where metamorphosis turns you into a faceless one.
    For Druid Blizzard can make a Frost version that takes inspiration from crystalsong forest. They can also add a corrupted nightmare version where every spell is nightmarish.

I'm too lazy to think about the other classes but you get the idea. I feel like this can be very interesting especially if they make it so it's hard to obtain, just as the warlock one from pandaria. Make a small questline that has some cool lore and a scenario at the end with a boss.

If you guys have any suggestions or ideas feel free to comment them down below and let's see if blizzard introduces something similar.

I love this idea, as a purely cosmetic option.
    Blizz probably wont do it because of the sheer amount of work this will entail, but it is a nice thought.

If they did do this, it would bring more content options for unlocking these 'sub classes' as in a Mage Tower or a Warlock green fire quest.
    That would be awesome.

A simpler way i thought of some time ago, perhaps instead of bringing 36 new looks for the specs, they can add back some Legendaries, which will only affect customisation (no power to them) and will be obtainable through varrying degrees of solo content.
    Perhaps even scaling like M+ but solo.
    At +1 you get the base appearence, at +5 you get a title, +10 gives you a Heroic appearence, +15 gives you a prestigous mount, and +20 will give the Mythic version of the appearence. After that, all you get is bragging rights (kinda like Endless waves in PG)

Madness will consume you!!!

Although it seems nice, in real life it seems stupid. No offense, but imagine balancing all sub-classes. That's impossible.

As @killwithpwr said - cosmetic option? Fine. Totally new abilities? No.

But that's kinda something different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    I wouldn't mind submarine class. I think it would bring breath of fresh air to wow.

15+ Year Old Account
    How is it different? Both ideas are cosmetic options for existing specs. No need for re-balancing since the gameplay is unchanged, only the players visual effects are changed.

Quote Originally Posted by shade3891 View Post
    How is it different? Both ideas are cosmetic options for existing specs. No need for re-balancing since the gameplay is unchanged, only the players visual effects are changed.
    I thought i remembered a post about something like this.
    And i say here what i said there.

Its sad that a great idea like this is likely to be passed over by Blizzard.

Anyways, i hope im wrong.

Madness will consume you!!!

Deleted
    Subclass = build (build Outlaw RtB or build Outlaw SnD for example)

7+ Year Old Account
    I take it this idea is inspired by the Green Fire Questline for Warlocks.

I think Time wizard is pretty cool but what about other classes like let's say Fel magic for Death Knights or Shadow Death magic for Warlocks. That would be pretty cool or being a Void Paladin with void magic.
    High Elves and Wildhammer Dwarves are finally playable in the Alliance. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Tupirakio View Post
    snip
    Just what we need, another fucking balance nightmare on top of the already chaotic 36 specs.

Horrible idea in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Just what we need, another fucking balance nightmare on top of the already chaotic 36 specs.

Horrible idea in my opinion.
    You should probably read at least the op before responding to a thread in my opinion.

The problem with this is the potential for limiting design space for either new classes or new specs. If they give us chronomancer as a skin we won't get it as a proper new spec.

I think this is a great idea, unfortunately there are some serious community barriers that would keep this from being made.

1. The community complaining that blizzard actually spent time and effort on making purely cosmetic spell animations, instead of balancing the spells themselves, and making more playable content.

2. The community complaining that their class got mediocre cosmetics compared to another class.

Overall I think it's a great idea, maybe because I main mage, and I liked your ideas for their spells. And tbh, warlocks basically got this in MoP with the green fire, so I could see this happening again to other classes, and it would be great.

I'd really like that. Same specs, different themes. And no Blizzard I don't mean cash shop items. Kinda like the green fire for warlocks only more elaborate.

Warlock = Necromancer, would solve that whole desire by the players that want it.

5+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I remember that thread. Awesome suggestions from the OP, too bad that Blizz cba ("it will cost you a raid tier bois")...

I've had a similar idea in my head for a while, and probably not the first.

Classes would be roles such as Dual Wield Melee, 2H Melee, Magical range, Physical range, Leather Tank, Plate tank. And then within each of these roles would be like 3-4 sub-classes that all play the same but their flavour is different. So for DW Melee you can have a Rogue type spec, an Enhancement spec, a Warrior spec, a Monk spec.

This way the game developer does not have to balance an enourmous amount of specs and the players get to enjoy the flavour of class that they like. Each role would be really engaging as it would be the best aspects of all different classes rolled into one.

That's just spitballing and the idea requires a lot of polish.
    Last edited by Khorm; 2018-07-23 at 06:10 AM.

i remember hearing someone somewhere talk about a bunch of cosmetic class templates. all just trying to change the animations used. like death knight 'tinker' as unholy. pets turned into mechs, festering wounds some sort of 'gizmo' rigged to explode. Death and decay being a spilled vat of.... 'something'. Or ret paladin being redone to look like a battle mage with spell school of choice instead of 'holy'. Overall not a bad idea in general but unlikely to ever see the light of day.