[Dilema] The pleasure of doing only what I enjoy VS burning myself and being ahead

Giving up on the race, only doing things at my rythm, when I want it... is what I try to achieve, and it's always the way I enjoy this game the most, in the long term. BUT...

BUT, I'm so addicted to these early days of new expansions with so much things to do that sometimes I just can't stop myself from overdoing it, like chaining world quests /islands /dungeons, just to get that better loot, just to be a bit ahead even if I know that doing things calmly, day by day, will also do most of the work even if i'm not top tier geared.

In those frenetic moments, it's weird because I actually don't enjoy the game, the only good feeling is when I get the loot, when I feel "ahead" but the playing part is tedious. I have thoughts like "ok now I'm not having fun but it's important for later, to enjoy the game later, I need this better gear/gold/azerite right now even if that means doings chores !!".

So finally at a point I realize I'm playing too much and I should calm down and enjoy the game again, so I do it and the game feels good again, but... damn it's hard for me to restrain myself from overdoing it !

Do you have the same kind of dilema ?

Deleted
    Hey bro, i feel the same.

I decided to only do a couple things instead of overwheling myself with all this content to do.

I will only:
    1) Queue for Heroic Dungeons (for now)
    2) While in queue do World quests for the 2 Factions im already honored with.

Thats all im doing right now.
    I only picked 2 faction to level up.

Doing all world quests everyday is not fun at all...at least for me. So i picked only 2 factions to reach revered and unlock an epic for each.

I am kinda annoyed I wont get through all mythics this week... but I was slow leveling.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwhorn View Post
    Giving up on the race, only doing things at my rythm, when I want it... is what I try to achieve, and it's always the way I enjoy this game the most, in the long term. BUT...

BUT, I'm so addicted to these early days of new expansions with so much things to do that sometimes I just can't stop myself from overdoing it, like chaining world quests /islands /dungeons, just to get that better loot, just to be a bit ahead even if I know that doing things calmly, day by day, will also do most of the work even if i'm not top tier geared.

In those frenetic moments, it's weird because I actually don't enjoy the game, the only good feeling is when I get the loot, when I feel "ahead" but the playing part is tedious. I have thoughts like "ok now I'm not having fun but it's important for later, to enjoy the game later, I need this better gear/gold/azerite right now even if that means doings chores !!".

So finally at a point I realize I'm playing too much and I should calm down and enjoy the game again, so I do it and the game feels good again, but... damn it's hard for me to restrain myself from overdoing it !

Do you have the same kind of dilema ?
    Comes down to. Do I have people dependant in me.

I have people dependant on me being raid ready by raids opening that was hell when I did mythic but now I just do norm heroic chill raiding it's much better but still not an excuse to shirk my responsibility to my team mates.

So that's the question to ask your self. Am I letting any one down?

The worst part is burning yourself out to be ahead and just run into bad RNG and be behind anyway despite putting more effort.

RNG, in itself, makes it not worth.

I used to have that problem, and it burnt me out. Now, the moment I realize that I'm doing something I don't enjoy - I stop doing it. Makes everything so much better.

Remember - WoW is just a game. You are supposed to do it for fun. Once you forget that, you will become as salty as most people on the forums. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Nize View Post
    The worst part is burning yourself out to be ahead and just run into bad RNG and be behind anyway despite putting more effort.

RNG, in itself, makes it not worth.
    Let me add that the rapid inflation makes rushing or overdoing content pointless. Think of how many hours RL you can save.... What's seems worth it now is so mega worthless in a short period of time.

Salty Feline Overlord Beerbill Society's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Funny, I feel the same. I always rushed myself through leveling.

This expansion I just logged on the release date, tried quest, there were like a hundred people with mounts on NPCs, and I didn't felt like playing I was sure I wouldn't enjoy it.

Just waited a couple of days to begin questing, enjoyed going through Drustvar, going slowly is nice for a change.

"... And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers, and you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee." - Ezekiel 25:17

"My name is Legion: for we are many." - Mark 5:9
    My characters :3

Of course. I'm a tank so I feel especially compelled to be ahead - to have better gear than anyone else so I can run them through content without stress. I'm almost revered with Honorbound and did Boralus (locked behind rep Mythic only dungeon) even tough no one in my guild is even close to the rep requirement - just because I HAD to. So I don't miss a lockout without doing it and be minus a potential upgrade...

But yes, it's hard to stop doing this, even though I really don't find clearing all WQs fun for example. I have no words of wisdom, I rushed quite a lot this expansion. My only saving grace is I am not leveling alts immediately for professions.

I never understood this feeling of being ahead and just burning through content.

I have decided to do things different this time around for BFA and see how it goes. I have decided only to focus on 1 toon ( My monk ) and just be very experience with it in all my specs. Also i am only 117 now and enjoying the content so far. i dont want to lvl any alts at all since i found out that levelling is just a job and i dont enjoy it more than the first time and doing missions on alts just feels like a job and i play games to have fun... So OVERALL, when i dont have fun on my main with WQ, raids or anything else, ill just log off and enjoy other games. Exiciting to see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Schalde View Post
    I never understood this feeling of being ahead and just burning through content.

I have decided to do things different this time around for BFA and see how it goes. I have decided only to focus on 1 toon ( My monk ) and just be very experience with it in all my specs. Also i am only 117 now and enjoying the content so far. i dont want to lvl any alts at all since i found out that levelling is just a job and i dont enjoy it more than the first time and doing missions on alts just feels like a job and i play games to have fun... So OVERALL, when i dont have fun on my main with WQ, raids or anything else, ill just log off and enjoy other games. Exiciting to see how it goes.
    I always find it amazing the many many different ways of playing and enjoying this game.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Right there with you. "It's a race"-"Time is money" etc. It's fun to push yourself but it's equally important to know when and how to relax with no rush or stress and just chill at your own pace without a care in the world. I find it helps to remind myself of the basics: Be based in yourself and do stuff because YOU want to/it and not because somebody thinks you should or makes you more attractive. Giving yourself frequent short breaks doesn't come automatically on it's own... But it sure helps to feel better with/in yourself.
    Last edited by Tiwack; 2018-08-20 at 02:42 PM.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EbaumsTipster View Post
    The game isn't a job.
    Still, passions run high and makes us doubt our own self-control moving into '-aholic' territory.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Honestly with most of the end game unlocks not happening for a couple more weeks there is no real reason to start burning yourself out trying to scramble to be ahead. The only thing I really rushed for was the weekly island expedition stuff. Then I just aim to make sure to bang out emmisaries before they expire and then I am going to finish up the last zones story line while picking off WQ with quest upgrades and randomly queuing for stuff. Right now a lot of content is just flat time gated that really going overboard and stressing to get ahead seems to be not worth the effort.

Reason to play as much as possible: sell as many dark moon cards as possible as quick as possible