Is it my imagination, or mythics are always pushed to the maximum tolerance of the

Is it my imagination, or mythics are always pushed to the maximum tolerance of the Healer?

It seems people pull three+ packs of trash mobs and purposely ignore as many mechanics during bosses as possible, so long as their healer can pull through.

Once the healer starts using CD's (pain suppression, barrier, rapture, etc) the group recognizes the maximum throughout/tolerance that the healer can bear, and tone it done a single notch.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalaator View Post
    Is it my imagination, or mythics are always pushed to the maximum tolerance of the Healer?

It seems people pull three+ packs of trash mobs and purposely ignore as many mechanics during bosses as possible, so long as their healer can pull through.

Once the healer starts using CD's (pain suppression, barrier, rapture, etc) the group recognizes the maximum throughout/tolerance that the healer can bear, and tone it done a single notch.
    time is of the essence

In my mythic groups, the dps and tanks are also pushed to the max. People just don't see a dps going keyboard crazy because it's not as noticeable. Aside from interrupts and not standing in bad that is.

If a dps can stand in a mechanic and not lose dps and the healer keep everyone up, then that becomes to smart thing to do under heavy timers.

Would be nice to see timers go away and just make every avoidable mechanic one shot you though. That would distinguish the bads.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefrog View Post
    Would be nice to see timers go away and just make every avoidable mechanic one shot you though. That would distinguish the bads.
    CM's used to be like this, though they were timed as well. Regardless, high level keys feel pretty similar to what CM's did in the past.

Sometimes taking a mechanic to the face and taking more damage in that instant (assuming you can survive it or your healer can save you through it) to push a phase and avoid a larger, more dangerous mechanic will result in the entire group taking less overall damage throughout the encounter. That sort of decision making is always present in competitive environments.

But yeah, most players don't have that in mind when they stand in a whirlwind or fire. They're just bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefrog View Post
    In my mythic groups, the dps and tanks are also pushed to the max. People just don't see a dps going keyboard crazy because it's not as noticeable. Aside from interrupts and not standing in bad that is.

If a dps can stand in a mechanic and not lose dps and the healer keep everyone up, then that becomes to smart thing to do under heavy timers.

Whether 3 groups of trash are pulled, or 4, or even 5, dps and tank does the same thing...aoe. I start popping major CD's on 4 packs, often on 3, and that's when the tank reduces his pulls to 3 or 2 packs respectively.

Likewise, everyone knew to step on the ticks in Underot on the second boss, but they mostly ignored the ticks on the first attempt causing a wipe, and then proceeded to do it correctly the second time and it was rather easy for me, even though the encounter took a little longer.

My experience so far is that the healer bears the burden of a mythic run (the general course of the run).
    Last edited by Shalaator; 2018-09-18 at 09:22 PM.

Deleted
    It's been the same in raids, you cut as many healers as possible to beat enrage timer.

Whether 3 groups of trash are pulled, or 4, or even 5, dps and tank does the same thing...aoe. I start popping major CD's on 4 packs, often on 3, and that's when the tank reduces his pulls to 3 or 2 packs respectively.

Likewise, everyone knew to step on the ticks in Underot on the second boss, but they mostly ignored the ticks on the first attempt causing a wipe, and then proceeded to do it correctly the second time and it was rather easy for me, even though the encounter took a little longer.

My experience so far is that the healer bears the burden of a mythic run (the general course of the run)
    maybe this explains why I'm enjoying healing so much now, it's my first time actually main specing one.

I like challenges, and I liked DPS because there was always a bar to try to push beyond. On the flip side, I disliked how boring healing got once everyone was used to the content. Total snooze fest (though I didn't have time to push M+ in Legion)

But now the speed of a run and the level of progression is directly tied to how well I can keep up and keep us going, and that feels pretty awesome imo. Now theres a bar for me to always try to push beyond.

15+ Year Old Account

CDs aren't just for "oh shit we're struggling". CDs are there to help you make things go smoother.

DPS are expected to use CDs to burn through large/problematic trash pulls. Tanks are expected to use their own CDs liberally. Healers are expected to use CDs during trash too (unless the content is trivial)
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Monstermash View Post
    Sometimes taking a mechanic to the face and taking more damage in that instant (assuming you can survive it or your healer can save you through it) to push a phase and avoid a larger, more dangerous mechanic will result in the entire group taking less overall damage throughout the encounter. That sort of decision making is always present in competitive environments.
    If it's between a 15k DPS moving to avoid something that hits for like 30% hp and a 7k DPS healer using his casts to heal instead of damage, then yes, I'll always go for the reasonable non-lethal but easily avoidable damage. My healer being able to pull some deeps won't do as much as me being able to just stand still and do whatever during my cooldowns.

The same applies to tanks and dps. That's the purpose of high keys.

But OP is still kinda right. I mostly pug and i see that most mechanics are just sat through, healers gonna heal. Problem is, because of this behavior, the healer has to use much more mana and therefore needs to drink more - chainpulling isnt possible anymore (when not vastly overgearing the content) and the timed run goes to the shitter, just because (most) DPS are too lazy to move or read up what these mobs are capable of.

PUGs mostly brute force until you hit a wall...

There where times when I played healer because I wanted to relax(!) but that's not possible anymore these days. It get's better in the end of an expansion when everyone is outgearing everything but so far playing heal to have an easy time is no longer an option.

Hmm, the people I play with are aware of what I can do. Unless bodypulling happens, things go fine. Yes, I need to manage my mana and drink - that's been the case for ages.
    top guild member
    multi gladiator

giving wow insight daily - expert in wow

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

Which makes perfect sense and is the way we should be playing.

Part of being a great dps is being able to find the right balance between survival and damage output. While damage avoidance is important, it typically comes at a cost of damage output. It doesn't make sense to sacrifice 15% of your damage output and have you healer getting bored for having nothing to do. At the same time it doesn't make sense to die because you're so focussed on maximising your dps that you fail to move out of the fire and die, thus doing zero dps.

So a good dpser will make use of their health pool and lean on the healer where possible in order to squeeze out that extra 5-15%, while being aware of when the healer isn't keeping up. Remember the healer represents 20% of the team, it would be foolish to underutilise their capacity.