Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    i use both wasd (even if pros tell me im doing wrong not using esdf instead) and mouse. Often I need to backpedal and strafe.

Imho, anyone that has his movement either only on the mouse or only on the keyboard is massively hindring himslef - performance wise.

Using either WASD or RDFG (or ehatever you find comfortable) together with measured mouse movement, is the best imo.

Turning in this game is a hindrance, you should only ever turn where your character is facing using your mouse, that way - your reaction time (such as reaction to Ghuuns gaze) will be lightning speed.
    A+D should suffice as strafing buttons, and if you ever need to run in a circle (like those pesky draw the spell quests) you can just use your mouse to turn.

If you bind WASD for movement, you will be free to press on q, e, r, t, f, g, 1-5 even with a small hand (i utilise 6 and h as well since my hand is large) and even in situations that will reuire you to move while pressing a button of a rotational ability, you can always shift your hand and put it back on WASD in a mili second. For sure, if you are used to clicking abilities (like many of us did once) it will take a little time to get used to.

But once you get used to it - performing your rotation and moving (seperately or simultaniously) becomes second nature.
    What helps further, is having an MMO mouse (a mouse that has a number of extra keys on it) which helps you spread your abilities a bit. I bind my utilities to my mouse, and it's been a great relief.

If you play Melee, moving and dpsing comes hand in hand (some people even move when times call to NOT MOVE)
    And if you are a caster, you should familirize yourself with stutter-stepping, moving only a tiny bit while pressing insta casts (like DoTs for Afflocks) and moving even a tad bit less in between casts.

Madness will consume you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chillboy View Post
    I am primarily a keyboard turner.
    I spent many years prior to getting into MMOs as a competitive FPS player.

Pick one.
    Not quite sure what you mean. Are you implying that FPS games on PC are not played with the keyboard as the primary movement controls? Are you suggesting that players used the mouse to both move and aim? Because this would be news to me.

On topic:
    I don't use Q and E to strafe, I just use A and D and hold the right mouse button all the time. It gives me two very accessible keybinds (6 with modifiers). Another alternative is to just bind A and D to strafe.
    Same here. Q is my autorun toggle. I don't think I have E bound to anything. I use Z & C to strafe. A & D are my turn keys.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrite13 View Post
    Not quite sure what you mean. Are you implying that FPS games on PC are not played with the keyboard as the primary movement controls? Are you suggesting that players used the mouse to both move and aim? Because this would be news to me.
    I believe you are confusing terms here. Technically one cannot be a "keyboard turner" in FPS as you turn by just moving around the mouse and look where to go. in a FPS A/D is strafe left/right, in WoW A/D is *turn* left right. In WoW keyboard turners are players who actually turn with A and D instead of holding the right mouse button and move the mouse. Not suggesting anything but the most effective way to move your character for me is the good old WASD + Look with hold left mouse button and Turn/Strafe with hold right button.

A and D bound to strafe, mouse to turn, movement-related cooldowns bound to mouse. I have very small hands to I bound I lot of abilities to keys I can hit with my thumb, and I don't bind anything I have to move my left hand too out of position to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillboy View Post
    I believe you are confusing terms here. Technically one cannot be a "keyboard turner" in FPS as you turn by just moving around the mouse and look where to go. in a FPS A/D is strafe left/right, in WoW A/D is *turn* left right. In WoW keyboard turners are players who actually turn with A and D instead of holding the right mouse button and move the mouse. Not suggesting anything but the most effective way to move your character for me is the good old WASD + Look with hold left mouse button and Turn/Strafe with hold right button.
    Ahh, semantics. It seems we are both correct. Yes, in FPS games on a PC, you do use the mouse to look up, down, left, right. But you also use the keyboard to actually MOVE forward, backward, strafe left and right, crouch, lean, etc. I always thought of it as the mouse controlling my character from the waist up, and the keyboard controlling my legs.

As for WoW, I will reiterate my point. To each their own. Find the control setup that works best for you, your hands, and your brain. Go with that. I've never had an issue with my control setup.

As a quick aside: The guy who got me into both FPS and MMO games used to play Unreal with his forward movement bound to pressing and holding both mouse buttons. He was also left-handed so an odd bird all around.

Keyboard Turner
    5+ Year Old Account

Preserved Real Roses in a Box That Last a Year

As we all know that flowers bring charm and freshness in our breath and make our moments special. Red roses are considered to be king of all flowers, their red color attracts eyes and their fragrance produce some kind of magic in air. If you are looking for fresh and pure roses that last more than an year. À LA ROSE is the only quality vendor who is offering you the best roses in form of gifts to make your moments special.

Awsd for movement. Rotation is executed via logitech g103, which is a gift of god for lazy people like me.

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shopalarose View Post
    As we all know that flowers bring charm and freshness in our breath and make our moments special. Red roses are considered to be king of all flowers, their red color attracts eyes and their fragrance produce some kind of magic in air. If you are looking for fresh and pure roses that last more than an year. À LA ROSE is the only quality vendor who is offering you the best roses in form of gifts to make your moments special.
    WTF? ????

OT:
    I don't move while dpsing, strafing back and forth while dpsing doesnt do ANYTHING, which some people tend to do, so if you do that, stop that.
    Figure out when you should move and how much you need to move. Strafe jumping if you need to move a longer distance gives you some "airtime" to freely dps while in the air where you don't have to control your character etc. For my mouse controlling i mostly hold right mouse button and press left if i need to move forward.
    As a rogue main i have Mutilate bounce to C, so it is very cruicial that i have airtime every time that i spam C or you can move inbetween GCDs (since there is alot these days) or while you are pooling energy etc. For example: Click (click in this term i mean press a button of your rotation) - Move - Click - Move - Click - Move

Hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by Aizen244 View Post
    Back on wotlk, I was moving with mouse and used all my keyboard keys for spells only, I was top dps then and I even reached 2400 in arena (2600mmr), I had some limitations with movement though since I couldn't strafe or backpedal. Some other people who were top dps too during that time also moved with mouse. I had many friends who changed to mouse moving and improved massively as dps.

During legion I had to change everything because I wanted to play a healer, also the encounters required more flexible movement, so I now move like everyone else with keyboard but this limits a lot my ability to execute a dps rotation, I just can't dps especially if I play melee since I can't reach the keybinds and it's very confusing to move and use spells at the same time with keyboard. My ability to move well has dropped in arena as well, also my ability to use modifiers.

I assume most people have a great mouse so it doesn't matter if they move with keyboard since they can do almost everything with mouse. I can't do that because my mouse sucks. The only role I can play well now is healer at pve only, I can play tank too if its too easy like druid. In order to cope with this I tried to experiment with castsequence but it doesn't seem to help much, I'm pulling like 10k dps as retri or feral at 365+ilvl gear, not really great...So I'm wondering now, should I go back to my previous style assuming I want to play a dps class?

How do you move in pve or arena and execute your dps rotation?
    I made a video explaining how ( not listed, ain't advertising )

And how you should bind your movement keys

Try it out
    Last edited by Indil; 2018-10-16 at 01:29 PM.
    c

i think i'm weird, i use qwe for movement, q and e for strafing

Deleted
    You don't really need more than a few buttons to press these days for most specs. 1-4 and some Q E R F Z X are sufficient for most things, and 5 T G or so for CDs or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    I face roll 1-5 and click 3 action bar buttons, then I spam "q" and "e" to strafe left and right. Can you guess my class and spec?
    If you take the wings off of a fly, is it a walk?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm moving with keyboard and executing DPS rotation with keyboard as well. I got used to it years ago. Very rarely I have any problems because of that. I mean, I need to press 1-2 buttons for moving and 1 button every 1.5 sec for DPS, but I have 4 fingers so I can find a hand position to press those buttons.